PDA

View Full Version : hole in cowel repair??

therapy
16-12-2009, 05:51 AM
Gedday Ausfishers,
While out the other day, a mate trimmed my 90 merc up when approaching a beach and manged to put a small hole in the front of the cowel about 2cm across. Does anyone know where or how I can get this repaired?!? I was thinking maybe those mobile bumper repair guys but would appreciate any other suggestions or previous experience with such a repair. Thanks in advance and have a safe holiday season........

Cheers.............Terry............

Noelm
16-12-2009, 08:23 AM
what is it made out of? some are Acrylic, some are fibreglass and some are even metal.

therapy
16-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Looks like acrylic to me. Where the paint is missing around the hole is a whitish colour. It's a 2003 model.

Noelm
16-12-2009, 09:08 AM
OK, the people who repair Acrylic baths will be able to fix it like new, but they charge big time, it can be done by really roughing up the inside and using a fibreglass repair kit, then spray it, or get it repaired by a panel beater. I repaired my Acrylic cowl from the inside with fibreglass, but mine still had all the pieces and needed putting back together, mine got broken when some dimwit ran into it at the ramp, came in at speed and could not stop.

geoffmck
17-12-2009, 05:00 AM
OK, the people who repair Acrylic baths will be able to fix it like new, but they charge big time, it can be done by really roughing up the inside and using a fibreglass repair kit, then spray it, or get it repaired by a panel beater. I repaired my Acrylic cowl from the inside with fibreglass, but mine still had all the pieces and needed putting back together, mine got broken when some dimwit ran into it at the ramp, came in at speed and could not stop.

Ran into at the ramp?
Did you manage to stay calm?
I would have lost it with that level of stupidity damaging my motor.

therapy
17-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the reply Noelm. I spoke to a mate last night and he used to repair dings in his surfboards and reckons it will be an easy fix. So I guess I'm off get a smal repair kit and some Mercury black paint.

Cheers..........Terry............

Noelm
17-12-2009, 09:00 AM
yep, thats the way, by the way, I did stay reasonably calm when the guy hit my motor, but it was very hard, I have twins and he cracked the second one as well!

White Pointer
17-12-2009, 08:45 PM
G'day,

How did this happen again?

Reading it over and over I get the impression that there is something wrong with the setup if the cowl can get damaged from over running the tilt.

That seems unlikely so I suspect that it was a grounding and was so severe that something is bent and that the drive shaft has had a huge impact.

What happened?

Regards,

White Pointer

therapy
17-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Gedday Whitepointer,
The motor I have fitted to my 93 Sportfish does contact the fuel filter ( which is on the outside of the transom) if tilted too far. There was no major impact, just purely the act of tilting the motor too far. I will move the fuel filter this weekend so it should not happen again.

Cheers........Terry.........

White Pointer
17-12-2009, 09:17 PM
G'day Therapy,

Well done ... or doing!

White Pointer