PDA

View Full Version : Formosa 480 Side Console?

breakthelines
15-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Just wondering if there are any owners of the boat in the title and if they are any good.

Looking at one with a 60HP etec.

Cheers, Breakthelines :D

boatie_72
16-12-2009, 06:32 AM
That sounds a little under power for a boat of that size, might be alright if you are running one up, but once you put an extra person in and gear it will be asking a lot out of the 60 hp. would be better with a 75hp.

Do you know what style or size of boat your really after? It’s just that you have gone from a 4m Vee punt style of boat to now a 4.8m open side console boat. They are just completely different boats.

I would suggest sitting down working out how much you want to spend, what type of fishing you are going to do, what standard fittings you are after in the boat, and then start narrowing it down to the brand of boat & engine package you want. There are alot of brands that have boats in that 4.8 range: Formosa, Horizon, Allycraft, Stacer etc. and are all worth a look

That’s just my thoughts.

levinge
16-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Mate, the Formosa Range are a very solid boat. From what I have seen and experienced the are a quality build and perform well above their weight and very well priced in the market..

I run a Formosa 580 Centre Cab and the hulls are pretty much the same design throughout the range.

breakthelines
16-12-2009, 09:02 AM
That sounds a little under power for a boat of that size, might be alright if you are running one up, but once you put an extra person in and gear it will be asking a lot out of the 60 hp. would be better with a 75hp.

Do you know what style or size of boat your really after? It’s just that you have gone from a 4m Vee punt style of boat to now a 4.8m open side console boat. They are just completely different boats.

I would suggest sitting down working out how much you want to spend, what type of fishing you are going to do, what standard fittings you are after in the boat, and then start narrowing it down to the brand of boat & engine package you want. There are alot of brands that have boats in that 4.8 range: Formosa, Horizon, Allycraft, Stacer etc. and are all worth a look

That’s just my thoughts.

I looked at the stalker to begin with, but to small for what I wanted to do.

Am looking at the Blue Fin 4.5, Horizon Northerner 445 & Formosa 4.8.
Being used for inside and outside (on the good days) been looking for months now and just wanted to get a few opinions from members about different boats. :)

sharkymark2
16-12-2009, 09:54 PM
In reference to a 60hp being to small; why would it be to small? I have had 2 nautiglas boats boh 1/2 cabins which aren't light. One with a 50 hp and one with a 55hp . Those motors pushed them up on the plane quickly and went well. I eventually replaced the 55hp with a 90 hp which was 5hp over the limit. The 90 hp was scary. The 50 hp I replaced with a 60hp 4 stroke. I can't see how a 75hp is going to be much advantage even loaded up. On most days you never get to WOT because its too rough.

Mrs Ronnie H
17-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi
I'm with levinge-- The formosa range are solid boats. We have a runabout 5.2, brother Centre Consol 5.5. We run a 90 hp suzi and pushes our boat along with plenty in reserve. Can't see why a 60 would not suit your 4.8 although I am not sure of any comparisons between an ETEC or suzi.
They recommended a 75 on our size boat but we opted to go up; I suppose the reason was we would have a little extra behind us if it were needed.

Ronnie

rumy1
17-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I had a CruiseCraft 4.75 which had a 60 Merc on the back, the boat was under powered so I would go 75 or 90. I didn't enjoy the boat due to this so I sold it and got a new 5.42 Haines Signature with a 140 Suzuki ... largest motor I could get for it and love it !!!
Go the bigger motor, best to have some up your sleeve if needed !!!

dreemon
18-12-2009, 07:09 PM
In reference to a 60hp being to small; why would it be to small? I have had 2 nautiglas boats boh 1/2 cabins which aren't light. One with a 50 hp and one with a 55hp . Those motors pushed them up on the plane quickly and went well. I eventually replaced the 55hp with a 90 hp which was 5hp over the limit. The 90 hp was scary. The 50 hp I replaced with a 60hp 4 stroke. I can't see how a 75hp is going to be much advantage even loaded up. On most days you never get to WOT because its too rough.

Sharkymark, I've got a Nautiglass with a 3 cyl 90 yam and to me it seems like it's well matched, it used to have a 4 cyl jonno 85 hp and I thought it was bum heavy but very powerfull , " more cubes" the yam is 5 hp over recomended but lighter than the old jonno,

I'm just curious what 90 hp you had on yours, both of these motors reached a top speed of 66 kph but the 4 cyl got there quicker, and loved a drink. Cheers

Jarrah Jack
19-12-2009, 08:45 PM
A mate has a stacer side console 4.8 something with a 60 hp 4 banger although he is happy with it he reckons it could do with an extra 10 hp which is what, about 18% more power. So it really depends on how you are going to use the boat and how much weight you intend to put on over xmas.

Cheers all, ave a good one.