PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga,Monduran,Lake Cania,Saratoga and Jacks

5Zigen
15-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Just wanted to ask for some advice prior to an upcoming annual trip to Awoonga and Monduran,thank u in advance for any forthcoming advice:D

My annual 2 week barra trip begins this weekend. We don't usually go this time of year, with the potential Xmas/New Years crowds being a semi deterrent but we just couldnt get our (my friend and I) schedules to sync. So with our gf's (unbelievable!Still unclear how I got the go ahead!) blessings, Barra 2009 begins in December.

So, aside from Monduran and Awoonga, I would so love to be able to make a detour to Lake Cania. I've never caught a Saratoga before, and from all accounts, the topwater fishing for both bass and 'toga can be very good there.

Is it worth the trip to Cania then? Every year I've been to CQ, its barra barra barra(YAY!). This year, I'm making a concerted effort to catch a Saratoga, even though I know it'll be exceedingly difficult to leave the barra dams, and even if its only for a day or two. Lake Cania regulars, should I ditch the barra for a couple of days and go for the bass and saratoga then?

Another fish of my dreams is the crazy Mangrove Jack. Yet another fish I've yet to fish for, can anyone please point me in the right direction? I know abt the Jacks in Awoonga, but the odds of us catching one there is slim to none, so I'm more than willing to fish any of the nearby rivers, by boat or on foot.

Some ppl are sensitive abt posting too much info on the forums, which I fully understand. The last time I divulged a treasured spot, it got raped,so,even if advice is general in nature, its all good. Any pm's will not be abused and for what its worth, I'm from Sydney, so I dont know any QLDers to even spill the beans to :).

Sorry for the long post, hope someone can help!

Awoonga
15-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Just wanted to ask for some advice prior to an upcoming annual trip to Awoonga and Monduran,thank u in advance for any forthcoming advice:D

My annual 2 week barra trip begins this weekend. We don't usually go this time of year, with the potential Xmas/New Years crowds being a semi deterrent but we just couldnt get our (my friend and I) schedules to sync. So with our gf's (unbelievable!Still unclear how I got the go ahead!) blessings, Barra 2009 begins in December.

So, aside from Monduran and Awoonga, I would so love to be able to make a detour to Lake Cania. I've never caught a Saratoga before, and from all accounts, the topwater fishing for both bass and 'toga can be very good there.

Is it worth the trip to Cania then? Every year I've been to CQ, its barra barra barra(YAY!). This year, I'm making a concerted effort to catch a Saratoga, even though I know it'll be exceedingly difficult to leave the barra dams, and even if its only for a day or two. Lake Cania regulars, should I ditch the barra for a couple of days and go for the bass and saratoga then?

Another fish of my dreams is the crazy Mangrove Jack. Yet another fish I've yet to fish for, can anyone please point me in the right direction? I know abt the Jacks in Awoonga, but the odds of us catching one there is slim to none, so I'm more than willing to fish any of the nearby rivers, by boat or on foot.

Some ppl are sensitive abt posting too much info on the forums, which I fully understand. The last time I divulged a treasured spot, it got raped,so,even if advice is general in nature, its all good. Any pm's will not be abused and for what its worth, I'm from Sydney, so I dont know any QLDers to even spill the beans to :).

Sorry for the long post, hope someone can help! Lake Caina is worth the stop over on the way to Awoonga. Stop there first then continue your trip About the jacks pm sent ::)

Andrew M
15-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Hi 5Zigen

Mate Cania Dam is worth the detour for the scenery alone & as far as Jacks go, Baffle Creek is not far from Mondy & the Boyne River belom Awonga would be worth a shot.
Good luck with it & have a safe & Merry Christmas.

Cheers Andrew

NAGG
15-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Cania is definitely worth a stop over ....... Cania , Awoonga then Mondy - like what Trev said.
With the water levels down - the bass's condition has been pretty poor though - they really do need a good influx of water .

Alternatively ...... you could have a look at Lake Borumba ( more toga) & bigger bass - more people :( - but if you fish it during the week - SWEET!

Best of luck with your trip

Chris

5Zigen
15-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Lake Caina is worth the stop over on the way to Awoonga. Stop there first then continue your trip About the jacks pm sent ::)

Thanks Trevor,you really are the man!:D

Dropping by at Cania en route sounds great but it might be a bit risky, our car is gonna be full of all our gear so we're thinking of just dropping off all our stuff at our cabin first before we hit the water.

Mate Cania Dam is worth the detour for the scenery alone & as far as Jacks go, Baffle Creek is not far from Mondy & the Boyne River belom Awonga would be worth a shot.

Only time I've seen Cania is through the AFC episode when Harry Watson caught that toga and was genuinely stoked! The place really does look puuurdy:D.

My usual fishing buddy (different mate this year) and I did venture over to the Boyne on our last trip, it just went on and on and we were wondering when it would end. We werent good enough to read the river in order to decide where there would be fish, so we pretty much gave up after awhile (we are Sydneysiders afterall!)

Baffle Creek sounds interesting, will look it up on Google Earth b4 we leave....

Cania is definitely worth a stop over ....... Cania , Awoonga then Mondy - like what Trev said.
With the water levels down - the bass's condition has been pretty poor though - they really do need a good influx of water .

Alternatively ...... you could have a look at Lake Borumba ( more toga) & bigger bass - more people :( - but if you fish it during the week - SWEET!

We're staying at the Gateway Lodge again, isnt Lake Borumba a long way from Awoonga? If its not crazy far, I'm definitely down for the hike over there if its the better place to go this time of year.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone:P

I'm starting to get antsy now, can't wait to get into some fishing QLD style! Monduran is gonna be scary for me too I think. The last time (and only)I was there, I think the water was pretty low, something like 16% I think. We barely had time to fish when we came across a party of 3 in a tinny that was stranded. Ended up spending a long long looong time towing the poor guys all the way back to the ramp....with my buddy's brand new Skeeter.

So with only a few hours experience on Monduran, its gonna be a mission not to hit any stumps! I still hope ol' faithful Awoonga is fishing ok though, thats where all my best memories are:D

BR65
15-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Good luck mate, enjoy the trip!

I got nuthing these blokes havent allready said, cept enjoy, and be safe on the roads.

5Zigen
16-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Thanks BR:D

Trow's the big day...sure hope the 'roos are having the day off!

King_Kong
16-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Went to Cania this time last year and caught heaps of Bass and several toga on poppers and spinner baits no worries , the bass are a bit on the skinny side and don't fight to hard but the toga's go off. Big Mick:P

5Zigen
16-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Topwaters and Spinnerbaits...two of my favourite things:D

I'm not worried abt the bass not fighting too hard, will be cracking the ol' Pixy out for this trip.Have had it for ages and its never seen the light of day.

Am planning on visiting Borumba on the way back tho...will pull out the beefier gear for that place I think::)