PDA

View Full Version : Quality found...

Reefmaster
14-12-2009, 11:17 PM
I haven’t been fishing of Double Island Point/Wide bay area nowhere as much as I use to due to weather and fishing more so up off 1770 and Break sea area off Fraser which has been rewarding but I have been missing DI a lot. Forecast looked good on the weekend so loaded the boat and crew and hit the water day light Saturday morning. I fished new and old spots finding quality fish by lunch that made for a great trip. Found some good reds on some isolated reefs but the better quality came off the back of the reefs out on the flats where the better reds tend to roam hunting for food during the day light hours. Picked up some good Pearlies and coronation among them also. Left the fish and the area to go hunting and hit some old areas I hadn’t been to for some time. Unfortunately the current had come through and was roaring making the fishing extremely hard and frustrating. I made the call to head back about 3pm with a haze back towards DI looking like a storm front. Got back in to about 20km off DI to clearly see big storms heading over Noosa way and also another heading north of DI. Fished for a while pulling squire, pearlies, trag and Moses perch before heading into the lagoon at DI with light rain falling on dark. Headed out in the morning and fished close off DI with the current running fairly hard for even in close and caught Snapper, Moses perch and Pearl perch. Headed home about 11am with some of the best conditions I have fished in for ages which gave me a good opportunity to fish more and get among the action instead of being on the wheel most of the time. I used 55lb mono line the whole time with a 10 ball and only lost one fish due to hooks pulling (was a good snapper) Had the same rig the whole weekend. Love it when everything goes your way lol. Baits were pike, mullet fillets, yakkas, squid and pillies. Can’t wait to do it again.

Full report and good pics in coming BushnBeach

Regards
Greg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209028.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209017.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209052.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209031.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209014.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209007.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209068.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209074.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209078.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209102.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209044.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209059.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209085.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209092.jpg

getting some action during a 4way hook up
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/DInorthtosouthtrip121209039.jpg

vertico
14-12-2009, 11:48 PM
awesome stuff greg ill have to get off my ass and send yah some gear to try...
welldone mate i cant wait to hit 1770 again
sean

Benno1
15-12-2009, 01:14 AM
AWESOME!!!...thats it...im comin home...ill walk if i frikken have too :P
Great report...with top shelf pictures...thanks Reefmaster...appreciate it.

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

perko
15-12-2009, 05:35 AM
Top trip. Well done.

TimiBoy
15-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Greg, you sh!t me!;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

aerordauto
15-12-2009, 06:34 AM
awsome catch greg and great photos/report.
the conditions where brilliant on the banks as well.
cheers mark

kitty_cat
15-12-2009, 07:15 AM
verynice work greg
great shots as well you really have the camera worked out keep them coming great to see.

DALEPRICE
15-12-2009, 07:22 AM
some awesome fish right there, well done men,
christmas has come early for you blokes!!
great when a plan all falls into place but you fellas really
put the time/effort/costs into hunting these fish.
makes my pearlies look pretty darn sad i tell ya..........lol
congrats men

tailorboi99
15-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Excellent report mate, and absolute Horse Red Emperors and a monster Snapper! Top stuff.

Thanks Tom

Silent
15-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Love your works...

littlemac
15-12-2009, 08:53 AM
great stuff greg

cheers

brett

Horse
15-12-2009, 12:18 PM
What can you say. Great fish and some brilliant pics to show them off

Vindicator
15-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Some awesome fish and great colours there Greg. You never cease to amaze me.

Cheers
Kezza

barra_cuda81
15-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Unbelievable...quality is an understatement!!!!!Good stuff fellas. love the report and photos.

indy
15-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Great fish greg do you ever have a bad trip?
Your sounder shot what did you catch of that shot?

cheers pete...

Fishing_Freddy
15-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Great report, good quality fish and excellant photos.
Well done. Ken :beer:

tfish
15-12-2009, 04:13 PM
rip snorta's.

trymyluck
15-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Well I don't know about the others but I'm green with envy, but you must have left one of the photos out. You know the one with the Gps screenshot with the tracks and co-ordinates............:D:D:D

Great report and something to aspire to. Well done.:D

Mark

Spot82
15-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Awesome work as always Greg! Certainly know where to get those reds.

Have you played around with the settings on the furuno to get the pic like that? Any chance of shooting me a PM with a couple hints if you have...

Thanks for the report always a pleasure to view, look forward to reading the B&B article.

Anthony

Whale Bone
15-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Very good fishing
Did you purchase the pike, or get them yourself?

wak69
15-12-2009, 07:27 PM
That is quality stuff, great pics, we sure look forward to your reports Greg.

regards sam.

Dean1
15-12-2009, 07:54 PM

cheers pete... Oh probably just dirty old Reds pete lol ;D

bugman
15-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Greg,

Only one thing to say.....

................. what happened to your hair ???????????????

Brett

hookinin
15-12-2009, 08:46 PM
As always your reports and pics just incredable and great to see a sounder shot.
Cheers Gaven

Angla
15-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Your facial expressions have to be worked on a little The fish seem to be enjoying the shots more than you. Perhaps the job is getting too mundane for you.

Really good to see a perfect trip work out for someone and the pictures are to drool over.

Cheers
Chris

Pistol_P
15-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Awesome fish as usual Greg,

Mate where are the guns hiding..?.....No singlet this time.;D

Pete

vertico
15-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Pete, looks like reds reds and more reds :P

Reefmaster
16-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone...

cheers pete...

Pete I suppose it depends on what you call a bad trip..lol I could be a little spoilt but yeah I have bad trips...Makes you appreciate the good ones thats for sure.

Mate we pulled reds and a few nice pearlies off that show..I will modify and write an explaination on that same shot to show people what I see..bare with me I will do this soon as i get a chance

Regards
Greg

Reefmaster
16-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Awesome work as always Greg! Certainly know where to get those reds.

Have you played around with the settings on the furuno to get the pic like that? Any chance of shooting me a PM with a couple hints if you have...

Thanks for the report always a pleasure to view, look forward to reading the B&B article.

Anthony

Hi Anthony a few things have been changed...If i get a chance i will take some pics of all the settings and send it to you...To be honest I don't think I know the unit all that well yet and I'm far from finished playing around with it.

Regards
Greg

Reefmaster
16-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Very good fishing
Did you purchase the pike, or get them yourself?

Yeah mate I purchased some from the Aussie Seafood House at Capalaba...They often have a good choice of fresh whole baits such as pike, yakkas, squid, red spot whiting, pinkies etc

Regards,
Greg

Reefmaster
16-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Greg,

Only one thing to say.....

................. what happened to your hair ???????????????

Brett

Hahahahahaaha classic Brett.. Well after shaving it off for the Ausfish "shave for cure" I liked it so kept it going lol... Genetics was only gonna make it go that way so I beat it to it. lol

Regards
Greg

Reefmaster
16-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Your facial expressions have to be worked on a little The fish seem to be enjoying the shots more than you. Perhaps the job is getting too mundane for you.

Really good to see a perfect trip work out for someone and the pictures are to drool over.

Cheers
Chris

Hahaha nice one Chris. To be honest I hurt my back the weekend before and spent a day in hospital and 3 others in bed. So probally not the smartest thing to go fishing... Catching the fish was hard enough but holding them for photos was not pleasant at all.

Regards
Greg

Reefmaster
16-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Awesome fish as usual Greg,

Mate where are the guns hiding..?.....No singlet this time.;D

Pete

hahahahahahaha classic Pete...Sun smart this time.

Regards
Greg

murf
16-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Hahahahahaaha classic Brett.. Well after shaving it off for the Ausfish "shave for cure" I liked it so kept it going lol... Genetics was only gonna make it go that way so I beat it to it. lol

Regards
Greg

where is the hair was my first thought too haha

top stuff Greg

cheers Murf

indy
16-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Dean and sean yeah you where right intresting that greg says there where pearlies amongst them i guess reds on the left and the pearlies up a bit higher on the top of the ridge intresting

jtpython
16-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Amazing stuff Again Greg
JT

vertico
16-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Pete we have found pearlies and spangled emperor mixed in with red schools on some of our 1770 spots..

LostNearBribie
16-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Quality is an understatement....

SWANO1
17-12-2009, 06:12 AM
i recon thats a cardboard cutout of foxy that you take on every trip so you dont have to lug the ice break around everywhere. :)
cheers swano

liltuffy
17-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Interesting report Greg, we were up there for the weekend as well. Of the four other boaties we spoke to fishing all over the place, we all managed to just scrape up a feed let alone a good catch as you show - love to know the general area you were fishing.

Sunday we ended up 38km NE of DI point and couldn't pull a single fish, they were showing but just wouldn't bite - we call it DI lock jaw when the moon just isn't right.

The lagoon at 6 pm Saturday when we came in was so shallow we were churning sand in a Vsea let alone your Riptide so you must have anchored outside the entrance.

Not doubting your efforts but just like to know how far north you guys were to pull those fish.

Like you said the weather was excellent and the water colour sensational - just would have liked a few more fish.

Craig

Reefmaster
18-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Dean and sean yeah you where right intresting that greg says there where pearlies amongst them i guess reds on the left and the pearlies up a bit higher on the top of the ridge intresting

Yeah pete reds on the left.. The top of the ridge is covered in bait and this where a few good pearlies came from.

Most times when there are good numbers of reds we find very few other species with them...If the reds are thick they won't let a bait get to any other fish lol... Drift off the patch of reds and you tend to pull the odd different fish close to them.

Regards,
Greg

Reefmaster
18-12-2009, 08:27 AM
i recon thats a cardboard cutout of foxy that you take on every trip so you dont have to lug the ice break around everywhere. :)
cheers swano

Yeah Swano his ice breaks take up half the esky...but he can battle on all weekend just drinking them lol..

Regards,
Greg

Reefmaster
18-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Interesting report Greg, we were up there for the weekend as well. Of the four other boaties we spoke to fishing all over the place, we all managed to just scrape up a feed let alone a good catch as you show - love to know the general area you were fishing.

Sunday we ended up 38km NE of DI point and couldn't pull a single fish, they were showing but just wouldn't bite - we call it DI lock jaw when the moon just isn't right.

The lagoon at 6 pm Saturday when we came in was so shallow we were churning sand in a Vsea let alone your Riptide so you must have anchored outside the entrance.

Not doubting your efforts but just like to know how far north you guys were to pull those fish.

Like you said the weather was excellent and the water colour sensational - just would have liked a few more fish.

Craig

Hi Craig

Mate I covered a massive area and fished NE wide, E in close and even SE in close off Double Island. Total of 365km for a day and a half....We pulled qaulity fish off most spots we fished but just not qauntity apart from the reds.. I came in to fish the 8-12 mile area off double Sat afternoon and the fish were biting well on most spots...Seemed to be plenty of squire and other reefies chewing before we headed in as it started to rain a bit.. We came into the Lagoon about 7pm and anchored behind those two massive Cats inside the lagoon.. I couldnt believe how shallow it was either but was a little deeper on the left hand side as you came into the lagoon..Didnt hit bottom once and had water under the boat all night. Did you see us come in with the spot light a blaze working our way into the lagoon? Headed out just before sun up and fished in close off Double for Snapper, cod, moses perch and pearlies..It was tough going on Sunday and I think if we weren't using live and dead yakkas we wouldn't have pulled the qaulity fish on sunday...

Hope to get back up in the next couple of weeks but I hope the current backs off as it started to roar and has continued to roar all this week apparently.

Cheers,
Greg

dfox
18-12-2009, 03:12 PM
cheers swano

Good one Swanson, youll keep mate! :P.

Greg caught his share this trip, it was a pleasure making him hold them up for pic's for a change. Its a bit of pay back for what he put's me and Terry through getting the correct photo... very enjoyable watching him suffer (smile greg) .... foxy

Reefmaster
18-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Good one Swanson, youll keep mate! :P.

Greg caught his share this trip, it was a pleasure making him hold them up for pic's for a change. Its a bit of pay back for what he put's me and Terry through getting the correct photo... very enjoyable watching him suffer (smile greg) .... foxy

Was good to get some qaulity fishing time this trip foxy but seriously you blokes barely earnt your keep::) ...You better fire like your usual self next time foxy or it's a long swim home..;D

liltuffy
18-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Craig

Mate I covered a massive area and fished NE wide, E in close and even SE in close off Double Island. Total of 365km for a day and a half....We pulled qaulity fish off most spots we fished but just not qauntity apart from the reds.. I came in to fish the 8-12 mile area off double Sat afternoon and the fish were biting well on most spots...Seemed to be plenty of squire and other reefies chewing before we headed in as it started to rain a bit.. We came into the Lagoon about 7pm and anchored behind those two massive Cats inside the lagoon.. I couldnt believe how shallow it was either but was a little deeper on the left hand side as you came into the lagoon..Didnt hit bottom once and had water under the boat all night. Did you see us come in with the spot light a blaze working our way into the lagoon? Headed out just before sun up and fished in close off Double for Snapper, cod, moses perch and pearlies..It was tough going on Sunday and I think if we weren't using live and dead yakkas we wouldn't have pulled the qaulity fish on sunday...

Hope to get back up in the next couple of weeks but I hope the current backs off as it started to roar and has continued to roar all this week apparently.

Cheers,
Greg
Yeah Greg, we did see the light and it was good those cats were there because I used them as channel markers coming and going in the dark;D .

Agree about the need for good baits up there, we got 3 mac tuna and 2 watsons around carlo bait grounds on Sunday and that as well as the plastics put some snapper to 7kg in our esky but as I said nothing out wider.

Hope the current drops off too, it wasn't too bad but wouldn't want to be too much stronger.

Did you have a go for spaniards??, we didn't but I saw a 7m coastal cat with two old fellas having a tow round the pinnacles, nothing caught though. Plan to get up there maybe over Xmas (weather and crowd dependant) and tow a livey at about 10m below surface just to see.

Greg, we'll have to swap some general area marks soon or at least have a fish together maybe.

Cheers for Xmas

Craig

liltuffy
18-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Oh and no sharks too, where did they go??, we lost heaps of fish to the grey suit brigade earlier in the year

vertico
18-12-2009, 11:05 PM
been talking to the lads greg and we wanna see a big parrot in your next report.... see if you can help us out :P

revs57
19-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Great trip Greg, that's a horse lippa' Foxy got, good to see him improve on the xos slateys mate!

cheers

Rhys

popgun19
19-12-2009, 09:43 PM
yes, nice effort that !

vertico
19-12-2009, 11:05 PM
bring back milf man :P

Anne-T-Dote
20-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Awesome Greggo. Good to hear (and see) that you had a decent stretch on the rod and reel intead of the steering wheel the whole time.

I see foxy's got the video out on Andy's electric reel again - Classic. I hope Andy had that thing turning backwards again - that is a sight to behold.

Foxy - did I tell you I fell off the caffeine wagon? So those ice breaks are now finding their way into my esky too.... All the sustainance you need is in one of those. Pure liquid gold mate...