PDA

View Full Version : Hard day off Rainbow, but still some fish

Vindicator
14-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Gday all,

Headed out from Tin Can Bay yesterday morning with Brownie and another glorious run through the bar. Tried getting some livies just out from the bar but they didn't want to play the game. Plenty of show but no go.

Called it quits and headed for our first mark, about 25 mile further out. Passed a couple of marks on the way out which I hadn't tried yet so we chucked the lines out for a few drifts but nothing was happening. The bottom looked the goods with small shows of fish but was not be this day. Made a mental note to try them another time. Finally got to our spot after an ordinary ride out, winds were very light and the swell was only small but seemed to be very short and sharp and quite regular.

It was almost 8 o'clock by this time and was keen to get some fish in the esky. Started off very slow and stayed that way for most of the day. First couple of fish came on board and was delighted to see my first legal maori cod. Brownie then pulled up a nice 3kg variety. A couple more drifts and I pulled up our first red for the trip, YAY! Tipped the scales at 7kg. After a few more fish we decided to move to another spot but it was the same story, bites were few and far between and had to struggle to get a fish on the end of the line.

At about 1pm I made the call to move back in to a spot where I knew we'd get a few parrot. We were due back at the bar at 3pm so it was going to be a quick stop to slay a few. As requested the parrot were there but weren't as anxious as in the past. Brownie pulled up another red, only to be dissappointed when it went 53cm. A call was made to the coast guard to let them know we'd be a bit late and had a few more drifts. By 3.15 we decided to pull the pin and head for the hills.

A total tally gave us 1 red, 3 maori cod, 1 gold spot wrasse, 1 tomato cod, 4 hussar and 5 parrot. Was hard work getting them but still had fun doing it and was rewarded with some nice fish.

Cheers
Kezza

swabio
14-12-2009, 01:50 PM
nice haul.... even though you had to work for it.... still better than a day at work ;)

LostNearBribie
14-12-2009, 02:18 PM
That is a very nice Red mate, would have been happy with that alone...

-spiro-
14-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Bloody jelious Kezza good fish well done..i think it was slow everywhere

trymyluck
14-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Hey
Sorry the fish didn't play the game but i'm half happy they didn't. Headed out sunday morning with the wife. Got about 8mile out and had a quick drop to see what was happening down below(transducer is stuffed and can only pick up the outline of bottom) and see if the wife was going to be alright. After 15min she was starting to look a bit white and starting to sweat so I made the call to head back in before the tide turned.:( Theres always next time.
Would have rubbed salt in to look on here and find out everyone had bagged out before smoko.;D;D

Mark

skipalong
14-12-2009, 05:39 PM
awesome work kezza pulling something together.

Reefmaster
14-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Good to see you still pulled a good feed togethor Kezza...Any trip with a red fish is a good one mate.. It's a massive area out there and with so much reef the fish can be hard to locate at times...The weather was just fantastic both days up there. We had a cracker time

Regards
Greg

Greg P
14-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Overtook you on Friday arvo near the Nrt Lakes exit Greg - what are you towing the rig with a BT50?

Lots of lightning around headin north then :o8-)

Reefmaster
14-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Overtook you on Friday arvo near the Nrt Lakes exit Greg - what are you towing the rig with a BT50?

Lots of lightning around headin north then :o8-)

Was towing it with the old mans mates new Turbo Diesel Ford Ranger..It's his company car so free fuel lol;D Tows it pretty well but hates hills with 3 tonne hanging off the back lol.

Cheers Greg

Vindicator
15-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Chris - Heard you on the radio on Saturday arvo when I pulled the boat out of the shed to fuel her up, did you end up going out on Saturday or wait till Sunday?

Greg - I see you had a bloody good run by your report. That area is hard to beat in good weather. You're right there is a lot of ground to cover out there. Gradually starting to get round it, it will take a while though to find grounds with quality fish like yours.

Cheers
Kezza