PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report - In The BLack 12/12/09

sleepygreg
13-12-2009, 11:02 PM
I arrived at the Marina to board In The Black, only to discover that our deckie for the day would be Ben, Shane's son. This was the first pleasing aspect of the day....as I now knew we had a good deckie to look after us. Ben may be young but he is an extremely competent deckie, as well as a good fisherman in his own right.

We picked up the Ausfish crew from the pontoon at a touch after 6am. Lethal098 (Lee), Lee's cousin Malcolm, DarrenJ (Darren), AnthonyL (Anthony), Chamelion (Matt), Searider (Pete) and Lovey80 (Chris) boarded and after introductions all round, the standard safety talk from Ben and the housekeeping rules, we headed off accross the bay. It was a bit messy heading east, but nothing too uncomfortable - with the SE changed having kicked the seas up a bit.

We neared Hutchies and the trolling spread was deployed. Stories started being told any many questions were forthcoming from the crew - and answered by Ben and a bit of a brains trust from those that had some experience with this form of fishing. I joined Shane on the flybridge to check out the sounders and discuss our options. His main concern was that the southerly change had put the fish down.

We trolled for a little while with no luck.....the sounder showing bait schools...but they were down low and not balling...a sure sign that there is nothing nasty chasing them. Noticing that all the other boats working the area were having the same lack of success as we were the call was made to head north to some spots off wide cal and try to nail some reefies.

Ben swapped over the trolling outfits and rigged up the bottom gear as we steamed to our first spot. Meanwhile the sea had almost glassed out. On arrival and after sounding around to find some shows the call was made to drop lines. While the boys made their first drop I broke out the frypan and got the bacon and eggs underway. The first pearly hit the esky soon after and then a procession of undersized fish started coming up. After a while the undersized fish were overwhelming the keepers, so the lines in and off to try another spot....while everyone had a feed.

Next spot proved very similar.....big shows on the sounder....but once again undersized fish being in the majority...with Ben trying to jig some live bait, only to get some of the smallest pearlies I have seen.

This scenario was repeated a number of times......with bait balls on the surface all over the place....but no fish sighted working them, or birds hovering and diving. Ben managed to get a few yakkas, and a couple of strings of juvenile bonnies. Some were put down live, but not touched, and others were slabbed and used as strip bait.

We moved in closer to some shallower water and a cod spot that Shane has. This is usually good for a few decent sized cod as a last resort esky filler. Time for the lunch rolls to be broken out. Once again shows on the sounder...but the results not indicative of the scene before us. Though Pete managed to find a corner of the boat that produced a couple of undersized maori cod, and a reasonable gold spot that was released into the esky....along with a MIL fish that Lee claimed, as his mother in law loves em ( we all had a chuckle over that one). Darren managed to get a legal pearlie on a SP. Chris managed to get busted off on 50lb braid, and more undersize fish hit the deck.

Come 1.15pm and it was time to up lines and head back. Many stories were told, subjects discussed, debates had and friendships made. We had a few fish in the esky, though not as many as we hoped for, and everyone managed to take home a few fillets. The catch was mainly pearlies, with moses perch, tuskie and cod contributing in small ways. Many thanks to Lee for doing the filleting, Shane for trying to put us on to fish, Ben for his great deckie work and passing on his knowledge of the area, and to all the guys for being great company for the day.

As for those who have asked "when is the next one?"........It will be when I am back in work and can afford it....or when someone else organises one. I am happy to co-ordinate it. A night session has been suggested. Lets get the festive season over and look at the new year.

Cheers
Greg

PS....pics to follow.

Chamelion
13-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Arrrrggg... Just had a big reply typed up and I bumped a key on my keyboard and it refreshed the page, taking my text with it...

Shorter version: Well said Greg.

Sometimes, as hard as one tries the fish just don't want to move out of the big blue and into your esky.

I was very impressed with Shane and Ben. No one can say that they didn't do their level best to give us a successful, enjoyable and memorable day out on the water.
Correct me if I am wrong, but Shane didn't shut off the engine once the entire time, he was constantly keeping the boat positioned well. We only had two or three minor tangles all day.
Ben was always on the ball... I remember getting snagged, breaking the line and as I turned around Ben was already at work sorting out a new rig for me... He tied it on and away I went with about 30 second downtime.

I can't speak for everyone, but in my view it was still a lovely day out on the water on an incredible boat, with a top notch crew, good company and some eye opening conversation.

Matt.

PS: Do I get an award for being the person on the boat with the worst sea legs? I'm not normally that bad... I guess it was the severe lack of sleep the couple of nights leading up to the charter. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

sleepygreg
14-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Some pics from the trip.

sleepygreg
14-12-2009, 12:24 AM
more pics from trip.

sleepygreg
14-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Even more pics from the trip.

Chamelion
14-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Haha, you took a photo of me when I fell asleep.. cheeky bugger!

sleepygreg
14-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Just a couple more from me. Chris (Lovey80) should have some more to tag on here. Including the catch.

Cheers
Greg

sleepygreg
14-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Thats what happens when ya doze off Matt. LOL

lethal098
14-12-2009, 10:35 AM
yeah as said by others what a great day on the water, pity the fish did not play the game but thats fishing, hope the fish got eaten fresh by everyone. And the MIL fish was for my mother not my mother in law, she would prefer those over snapper, she recons they are great, but she did grow up eating leatherjackets in South oz.

thanks for organizing the trip greg and thanks for the great company we had on the day. cheers Lee

Poodroo
14-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Nice report Greg. It's great to see you are getting out there and enjoying what brings us all here together on this forum.

Poodroo

swabio
14-12-2009, 12:07 PM
looks like you had a great day! :)

sleepygreg
14-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Fillets devoured tonight, and everyone here had a smile on their face. Supplemented by a nice gold spot EC I got today, just to make sure we had enough fillets for everyone.

Greg

bondy99
15-12-2009, 02:56 PM
That's fishing hey,

Out of curiosity what was the fish being despatched to the side as all I could see what looked like a brass rodholder and a pliers and a hand, but no fish. must have been a mandrake.

Peter

sleepygreg
15-12-2009, 05:24 PM
It was an undersize Gold spot EC....the boat rolled just as i pressed the button.....told you I was a lousy photographer. lol

Greg

King_Kong
16-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Good report Sleepy.........Thats fishing for you......a slight change in the weather or current and you could fill the boat without raising a sweet.

Darren J
16-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi all,
I was lucky enough to be out on this trip. A great day was had by all... and some fish to take home was a bonus.

Thanks again Greg for the organisation, cooking and generally being a great host...when you probably should have had a line in the water.

And thanks Lee for the filleting!.

Cheers,
Darren.

Benno1
16-12-2009, 11:42 AM
eh thats fishing for you...but the company onboard more than compensated for the lack of fish in the esky...looks like a good trip to me :)
Thanks for the piccies and report Greg...nice one mate.

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

AnthonyL
16-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I had a great time and learned a lot, only caught 4 keepers but that is better than none.

It was great meeting you all and I am def up for another one next time around.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/lawrencefamilyphotos/019.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/lawrencefamilyphotos/021.jpg

AnthonyL
16-12-2009, 09:38 PM
........I only took a few pics ..mostly of the scenery so I will leave them out.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/lawrencefamilyphotos/017.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/lawrencefamilyphotos/010.jpg

Searaider 2
16-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Hi Gang ,
A bit late in replying , but I've been off line since the trip .
I fully agree with the crews previous comments .
Thanks Greg for arranging a Top Trip & Lee for cleaning the fish when we got back in .
Not a lot of fish caught , but still had a great time with a Top bunch of guys .

Thanks to Skipper Shane for trying his utmost in trying to put us on some decent fish , but as the previous photos of the sounder show there were heaps down there but mainly baby Pearlies on the chew .

bondy99
17-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Well that's fishing, good to see some mixed were caught and everyone had a great time.

A night charter would be the go, especially during the full moon period, just as the moon comes up and casts its reflection the fish rise and go on the chew. Mostly Teraglin-jew, not sure about other species.

Peter