PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland Islands QLD - GT mania!

Red Bull
11-12-2009, 12:25 PM
G'day fellas,

My brothers and I have just got back from a trip to the Whitsunday area. I thought I'd better give you a rundown of what happened......

My specific mission was to give my latest home made poppers and stickbaits a good swim, and hopefully knock over a few GTs along the way. On previous trips, we had seen and hooked some quality fish, but due to inadequate gear and inexperience, we could not land them. However, having obtained a Stella 10000FA and GT Special outfit for this mission, I felt we now had a better chance than ever.

From our point of view, we had unprecedented success, both in terms of fish landed, and the apparent efficiency of my lures. All up, I think we had 17 GT hookups, for 9 fish landed. Most fish I estimated were around 15kg sort of class, a couple bigger, and one smaller. Not big by GT standards I know, but you must bear in mind that (a) we are relatively new to the GT game, and (b) most of our fishing is done from the rocks, which makes landing fish even more difficult.

Interestingly, we discovered a fighting technique through trial and error that certainly contributed to our success, and this was to let the fish run away from the rocks on hookup, then when the fish was a bit more clear of the close bommies, we would suddenly pour on the pressure on the fish through massively increased drag, and aggressive rod work. This seemed to almost stun the fish into submission quite quickly, and most fights were brutal tug-of-wars, lasting less than a few minutes.

Of the 17 hookups, 12 were on my home made lures, but the best fish of the trip and my PB, a beast which I estimated to be 30kg plus, took one of my sinking fusilier imitation stick baits underneath some feeding spaniards. Beats me why the spaniards left my offering alone, but perhaps the heavy twisted leader may have been visible in the gin clear water. After a protracted battle of 20min, the fish and I were in need of a rest, however, both of us recovered well and the fish powered off strongly after a quick boat side revival. Good result all round.

The land-based action was bloody unbelievable, with lots of fired-up fish hitting lures repeatedly until the hooks actually found their mark, and often the lure was only a rod length away from the rocks by the time the hookups occurred. Seeing charged up GT's with mouths agape actually inhale your lure at such close quarters is something you don't quickly forget! The sound of the hit, the jolt of the line snapping tight, and the shuddering scream of the drag all add up to highly addictive fishing!

What was also interesting was that we found the GTs at the same rock shelf for about 4 afternoons in a row leading up to the full moon, this was despite there not being any significant bait holding structure in the location. However, there was a bit of a 'wind eddie' where the Northerly wrapped around the island we we staying on. I can only assume the fish wanted to escape the wind as much as we did?

We were plagued by strong and persistent Northerly winds, which confined us to our land based pursuits for large chunks of time, but this in turn taught us some valuable lessons about how to approach the fishing.

My brother Ric became known as the mountain goat, due to his sure-footed efforts in landing fish for others, he would hop from rock to rock in hellish oyster-encrusted country, with the leader in hand to extract solid fish from the water. Top work, and many of our fish would have been lost without his brilliant efforts.

Cheers
Angus

Pistol_P
11-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah its definetly worth another reply..

Well done again mate...Next year Im coming.;) ;D

Pete

littlemac
11-12-2009, 01:56 PM
fantastic report and fish. one hell of a time

well done

cheers

brett

oddbudman
11-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Top report and top pics.

oddbudman

TCSunCoast
11-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Bloody amazing work.

Bout time those lures went commercial?????????

Tony

jtpython
11-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Amazing pics and fish Great report
JT

vertico
11-12-2009, 06:39 PM
how about some pics of the homemade poppers / stick baits

deepfried
11-12-2009, 07:29 PM
top effort and to make it better a lot of them on your own lures. sweet.

Angla
11-12-2009, 08:09 PM
That's a top read and great pics too.

Thanks for sharing them

Cheers
Chris

Red Bull
11-12-2009, 09:06 PM
will get back to all you with some lure pics in the next day or so. At work right now

Cheers
Angus

quinnie_600
12-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Nice Work
Looks like the Homestead Bay if I am not mistaken?

swabio
12-12-2009, 08:28 AM
awesome trip and report mate! Good to see you had a ball!

Benno1
12-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Top shelf...

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Red Bull
12-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi again everyone, thanks for your comments, this definitely was the most extreme sort of fishing I've been involved with....doesn't really compare to casting soft plastics for flathead (not that I have any problem with that at all)

Pete, I thought you said you had gone off the idea of Whitsunday GT fishing?!:D Started looking further afield to Fiji etc, didn't ya? ;)

quinnie 600, no it's not Homestead Bay, I don't even know where that is to be honest....but these sessions actually took place amongst the Smith Group of islands.

vertigo, see attached for some more pics of the lures. Some are no longer with me, and are now hanging on the cave walls of the big GTs lair. Also mate, I took some of your fly rigs up and while we had some great bites on big live baits, we couldn't stop the fish from bricking us on 50lbs TLD outfits. Not much action in the reef fishing department though. Gotta say it wasn't a major focus for me.;)

Tony, I don't really have the resources to make my lures commercially just yet, my little workshop couldn't cope with that, and due to my lack of sophisticated methods, I don't seem capable of making 2 lures exactly the same, so I couldn't really expect people to buy them. Also, my finishing systems are more than adequate for my needs, but are not up to commercial standards. But thanks for putting the idea into my head! :D

Cheers
Angus

vertico
12-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Redbull.... badluck about the fish bricking you on the flys maybe you need a stella 20,000 locked drag :P

quinnie_600
12-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Redbull, my apologies Homestead Bay is on St Bees Island. From some of the photos and the reference to staying on the island I assumed it was this island. All the same magic country and love the lures.

Apollo
13-12-2009, 06:18 AM
Top stuff Angus. Some good arm stretchers in that lot. Good report.

Steve

snipe
13-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Very nice Bull, good to see your persistence over the years in working these GT's out has paid off, all the better on your own suspending 'sinking fusilier imitation stick baits' - you are an amusing individual

Love the last shot of Tommy, he looks extremely happy and potentially extremely pissed with his handiwork. That behemoth you are fondling in the boat looks suitably entertaining as well.

RB

Red Bull
15-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Cheers Bob, persistence is the key....I was getting kind of sick of returning home each year with stories of huge bites, smashed and lost lures, and no actual GT results! So to finally turn the tables is immensely satisfying.

Tommy actually took a good spill on the rocks as he tried to land that fish in the last pic. Ric and I were pissing ourselves as he erratically tried to regain his composure and land the fish. Gold.

Cheers