PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Bay Green Zones update to Navionics charts

hodges4
11-12-2009, 08:30 AM
From Navionics Aust re chart updates to include Moreton Bay Green Zones

"We are now licensed for the data, it is with production in Hyderabad and we believe it will be on the scheduled May 2010 release of V1.22."

John

SatNav
12-12-2009, 03:41 PM
1. May 2010 release? And when was these zones gazetted?

2. Does navionics also keep important changes to navigation up to date in a similar timely manner?

hodges4
12-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Navionics Australia seem to be trying to do the right thing by us judging by correspondense I've had with them (It's in their best interest of course) but the attitude of their head office seems to be 'their lucky to get what we give them when we give it to them'. Apparently the QLD Gov didn't help either with a legal document they had to sign. I'd say there was money changing hands in every direction.

Hell Boy
12-12-2009, 05:04 PM
about bloody time!!!!!!!

i wonder how much this is going to cost us to upgrade, will it be a whole new card? or will we just send in our card for a update plus a small $$ charge.

any way its about time.

hodges4
12-12-2009, 05:53 PM
It will just be the cost of an upgrade, around $110 + delivery as of May this year. Probably another $5 by May next year.

BigE
13-12-2009, 07:59 AM
$110 sounds like cheap insurance to me.

BigE

SatNav
16-12-2009, 03:33 PM
1. This arrangement and licensing of data is no different than any other organisation has to meet

2. What Navionics is expecting is no different than if someone demanded Navionics hand over their propriety file and mapping formats. Can answer this one right here, that will never happen, not of course without lots of paper work and agreements, exactly what Navionics is complaining about in expecting other organistations to hand over data for Navionic profit making purposes.

3. For the record the Moreton Bay dataset was available for $185.50 (inc GST) this being $104.28 for the data and $81.22 for administration.

4. Navionics being a mapping and hardware providor needs to accept more responsibility in this matter and in a much more timely manner as well.

TheRealAndy
16-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Have any of the other chart manufacturers released charts with MBMP green zones marked?

Moonlighter
17-12-2009, 07:47 AM
SatNav

Whilst agree that Navionics have been somewhat tardy in getting their updates done, there are a couple of pertinent facts being overlooked here:

1. EPA only contacted the electronic chart makers in January 09 to start talking with them about data licences. EPA knew at least 12 months before that time that there would be changes to the zoning and should have been well ahead of the game by getting the licensing agreements sorted out in advance so that the timing of the chart updates could have more closely coincided with the implementation of the new zoning arrangements. This is another example of the poor project planning and engagement processes EPA was guilty of in the review.

2. From speaking with manufacturer's reps, they say that the EPA's proposed licence agreements were regarded as complex and onerous and took some time to resolve. Lets also not forget that HQ of these organisations is overseas and that they have regular updates scheduled quite independently of events such as rezonings.

In fact over the years there have been a number of changes to marine park zoning up and down the Qld coast - would have thought that it would have made much better sense for EPA to establish overarching licensing agreements will all of the mapping companies rather than having to separately negotiate agreements for each marine park - but that might be too sensible I guess....

Cheers

ML