PDA

View Full Version : Us Imported Hummingbirds

codseeker88
10-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi does any1 know that the HUMMINGBIRD units imported from the US ONLY come with imperial measurments eg. mph and ft.??? I need a metric unit but im told i cant get them from the states which means i will have to buy here which will cost an extra $800. The unit im looking at in the 798si..

any1 that could help it would be much appreciated!!

Leigh:o

on-one
10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I supect the americans wouldn't take kindly to you calling them imperial measurments but as far as I know humminbird imports from the US won't show metric measurements I bought one a few months ago and it's feet/miles/nautical miles only

vertico
11-12-2009, 02:10 AM
yerh bad luck iam afraid just learn to get used to the feet /miles i did when i had a matrix 35 on the old boat.

TimiBoy
11-12-2009, 05:51 AM
My 797 C2si is Imperial, but I saved over a grand out of the US.

3 feet is a metre. It works well enough, get used to it!;D;D;D

At least it has knots...

Cheers,

Tim

breakthelines
14-12-2009, 05:34 PM
What about the temperature setting, is it in farin or celcius?

TimiBoy
14-12-2009, 05:52 PM
mine's fahrenheit.

Cheers,

Tim

jtpython
14-12-2009, 08:18 PM
How did you go with the time setting Tim?
Brother in laws he got from here imported but can't get the right time ?
JT

old_fisho
14-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Mate u will save a good bit of dosh importing as we are a free trade nation with the USA as in we only pay gst i buy heaps from the USA even boat parts at least 1/2 the price and new and only takes a week to get here .
Why support here when you can save $$$$$$$ those that say Buy in OZ hahahaha just waste your money , only thing u dont get that warm fuzzy warrty . I have imported 2 jetski`s and saved ova $16000 so i went out and bought myself a new car .

Am thinking of bringing some outboards in soon and other bits .

codseeker88
14-12-2009, 10:04 PM
local shop can do for $1700 might just do that.. i hear all sorts of issues with units from the states eg warranty etc dont think ill risk it

TimiBoy
15-12-2009, 05:52 AM
I haven't tried to set the time. My HB's a bit of a novelty - I don't use it that much.

Re warranties. I have only one story re warranty out of the States, and it should make Australian suppliers hold their heads in shame. $600 binoculars, the lcd display didn't work. Sent it back had a new one in three (3) days, all I paid was the freight to get it back to them.

I've heard same at least with HB. You get it back faster and with less hassle from America than you do here. Sure everyone loves to bag where they can, but if you really, objectively seek out true stories, the Yanks are all over us for service and value. All over us. We have a lot to learn from them, we just don't listen.

Cheers,

Tim

RJ5023
15-12-2009, 06:20 AM
I found out that it's not possible to select the local time zone on my US unit.
(-9:30) and the time on my unit was never correct. So unless they've made some changes, US model H/birds will not record local time. Not really a problem with anything except date/time stamps on waypoints.

Also need to keep in mind that you must only download s/w updates from the US site - don't download the Oz version by mistake!

Cheers,

Cheers,

Richard
15-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Yeah JT,

I have an imported sounder only 777c2 and I can't set the time properly.. doesn't have our time zone. Doesn't really worry too much because my GPS is right beside it and i use it for waypoints, etc. Failing that i use my watch :)

chhers

Richard

jtpython
15-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I found out that it's not possible to select the local time zone on my US unit.
(-9:30) and the time on my unit was never correct. So unless they've made some changes, US model H/birds will not record local time. Not really a problem with anything except date/time stamps on waypoints.

Also need to keep in mind that you must only download s/w updates from the US site - don't download the Oz version by mistake!

Cheers,

Cheers,
What will happen there?

Mike Delisser
16-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Why support here when you can save $$$$$$$ those that say Buy in OZ hahahaha just waste your money , only thing u dont get that warm fuzzy warrty . I have imported 2 jetski`s and saved ova $16000 so i went out and bought myself a new car .

Am thinking of bringing some outboards in soon and other bits .

What do you do for a living?
2 jetskis' hey, I supose that explains it a little!

greenie.77
16-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Typical Yanks, can't acknowledge there is another world out there that uses an ENTIRELY different system to them. I too bought a US sounder no celcius or meters.....the feet i can live with, the temp I am still adjusting to.

Richard
16-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Yeah i've made up a little laminated card that has F and C on it. After a while it all becomes relative, like when you are fishing for barra in a dam and looking for warmer water..

old_fisho
17-12-2009, 02:30 AM
What do you do for a living?
2 jetskis' hey, I supose that explains it a little!

I work for a news paper .

And im looking at getting a boat imported to OZ from the USA as a they say " He who has the most toys wins " lol but serious the way the ozy dollar is atm importing boat equipment or anything and saving heaps is the way to go .

You buy in OZ how much do you lose when out the door you import save $$$ keep for a few yrs sell and you dont lose . If anyone wants to know the easy way of doing it drop me a pm am willing to help .

Have posted a cheap outboard parts supplier for new oem gen parts i have used them a lot and there service is excellent , i hope it helps others save money .

Perry

the gecko
20-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Has anybody tried to import one from a metric country like france or germany? Our aussie dollar should be good against the euro.

Andrew

rayken1938
20-12-2009, 05:10 PM
When purchasing from USA ask for the international version which is programmable for both metric and imperial. They are usually a bit dearer but worth it if you are worried about the conversion.
The international ones are not available with all models and you usually have to ask for them.
Cheers
Ray

Trekka273
20-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Has anybody tried to import one from a metric country like france or germany? Our aussie dollar should be good against the euro.

Andrew

The Aussie dollar isn't great against the Euro, it woudl still work out pretty expensive I would think. Approximately 0.62 Euro for every Aussie dollar.

Willow1
27-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I picked up the HB 1197c SI from the states over a year ago and saved a bucket load of cash. I usually run my sounders in feet anyway so the imperial didnt worry me. I also had concerns with warrenty initially but paid extra and took out the extended warrenty (3years) which allows you to send the unit to Australian dealer to get the quote to fix it, send this to insurer to get authorisation number, pay for repair out of your money then get reimbursed from insurance company. My external arial was faulty when it arrived in Aust so rang US shop and they said post it back and a new one is on its way. More than happy so far. Didnt know about the differance in upgrades (as per a previous post) from the computor having to be either Aust or US. I have already uploaded an upgrade from the computor with no problems that I can see. It shows the latest version now on the unit and Plotter screen definately follows the cursor quicker. Cheers Shane