PDA

View Full Version : EFI Performance Chips

Spaniard_King
10-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Anyone game enough to have a go??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DYNO-BOOST-PERFORMANCE-CHIP-Evinrude-200-225-HP-EFI_W0QQitemZ160385828543QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_P arts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item2557bd86bf
Santa is bringing me one to play with ;D ... For a Honda 225 tho :D

udlman
10-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Why would you want to chip an e-tec. They will let the factory smoke sooner or later by themselves.

littlemac
10-12-2009, 11:06 PM
i would love to give it a go on my 150 etec

cheers

brett

Heath
10-12-2009, 11:09 PM
I'll wait to see what my master mechanic recommends ;D

vertico
11-12-2009, 02:27 AM
let us know how you go garry, very interested in the results...

lee8sec
11-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Expensive variable resistor on the IAT signal wire. Would love to see the increased fuel consumption. Do they make polarisers too? Leigh

PS, The "scotch locks" tell how good it is.

bugman
11-12-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm a fan of ECU chips. I've got one on the Landy and can't believe the difference. All the talk when I got mine done was "wait 5 years and you'll be the one with a blown motor" etc etc.
There were a lot of disbelievers. But I've done 8 years and it's still as srong as an ox.
I'm guessing the guys that built these hopefully did as much research as those boys building them for car engines.
My question goes to why do you really need one. If you get say 20% more out of your outboard - is it really required. I wanted my chip because I needed the power for extra towing ability. On an outboard - do you just want to go faster. And if that's a case - unless you're skiing or speed racing how often do you run flat out anyway?
Brett

sharkymark2
11-12-2009, 07:27 AM
True Brett. In all these months of lousy winds I have never got to WOT. Why would I bang the heck out of myself? I enjoy what I see and take the time to smell the jelly fish...... if you know what I mean:).

lee8sec
11-12-2009, 07:41 AM
There is a big differance between a ECU "chip" & telling a ECU the intake air temp is "cold". I agree on the "why" question. Leigh

I'm a fan of ECU chips. I've got one on the Landy and can't believe the difference. All the talk when I got mine done was "wait 5 years and you'll be the one with a blown motor" etc etc.
There were a lot of disbelievers. But I've done 8 years and it's still as srong as an ox.
I'm guessing the guys that built these hopefully did as much research as those boys building them for car engines.
My question goes to why do you really need one. If you get say 20% more out of your outboard - is it really required. I wanted my chip because I needed the power for extra towing ability. On an outboard - do you just want to go faster. And if that's a case - unless you're skiing or speed racing how often do you run flat out anyway?
Brett

Noelm
11-12-2009, 08:52 AM
there is lots of "go fast" chips available now for all sorts of engines, be it outboards or cars, in the US there is plenty of that sort of stuff going on, you need to remember the Manufacturer needs to balance power and longevity, some outboards come with 5 year warranties, and the power oiutput, and possible RPM gains take this into consideration, that's why they have rev limiters built in, remove the rev limiter and almost any OMC outboard will rev to 7,500 without any effort, and last quite a long time! but for the racer or go fast and screw the warranty brigade, there is plenty of power and RPM's left in outboards, be they 4 stroke or 2 stroke

Dicko
11-12-2009, 10:16 AM
There is a big differance between a ECU "chip" & telling a ECU the intake air temp is "cold".

Exactly. It's not a performance "chip" at all like their advertising suggests. Nothing even like it.

A good brand (quality) re chip, or a re mapping of the existing chip to suit an individual set up can make an improvement to most factory - 'one size fits all'- tunes. But simply richening the mix , via a colder air temp sensor won't give a all these claimed results..

Add easy 10-50 HP to your power train with 100 % safe Magnum fuel controller. Boat performance chips will modify the factory ECU program, delivering 15 % additional performance and torque and sharpening the acceleration. Fine hole shot, improved economy by up to 15%

If you really want to retune an EFI motor, get a fully adjustable ECU from someone like these guys. http://www.motec.com.au/home