PDA

View Full Version : drilled hole - protecting cables from edges

yellahunter
10-12-2009, 07:17 AM
hey guys,

looks like i need to drill to install my sounder properly,
at the moment ive got the cables running down the side but would like them running under the deck, unfortunately due to the size of the plugs i cant push them under the bench seats (under the decking),

so if i drill some holes for the cables to run through is there anyways to ensure the hole isnt rough and sharp ()capable of cutting the wires), i know i can sand it back and smooth it off but what about a plastic cover or something to go around the edge of the hole......is there such a thing..?

what has anyone else done in this situation,

any advice appreciated,

SCOTTYGC
10-12-2009, 07:33 AM
you can get a rubber gromet from any rubber foam shop might even get them at boating shops

plenty of sizes available and cheap as chips

John Buoy
10-12-2009, 07:35 AM
I gather your referring to alloy !
Super Cheap/Autobahn for a rubber grommet
Get the grommet to suit before you drill.

Regards Frank

Spaniard_King
10-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Use a Plastic Skin fitting

FNQCairns
10-12-2009, 07:40 AM
I went to bunnings and bought some black plastic ag water pipe supplies, these have a moulded nut end and thread for the rest with a real plastic nut as a reatainer, I did have to cut them down to a shorter length via the threaded side but they where cheap and forever lasting with a few diameters offered.

Trade electrical warehouse places will have glands etc that can do the job and whitworths have glands too but the overtly expensive kind and not anything of the price needed for basic cable laying that I could find.

cheers fnq

PADDLES
10-12-2009, 08:01 AM
if it's in a spot you can't see, you might get away with a little piece of garden hose wedged into the hole and then just pull the cable through that.

lethal098
10-12-2009, 08:10 AM
vacumn line is all i use when going through drilled hole, cheap and easy.

cheers Lee

yellahunter
10-12-2009, 06:59 PM
thanks heaps guys,
some great info.

il go grab some gear tomorrow and sort it out,

borryking
10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Depends on whether you need a water tight seal or not. Phenolic cable glands do a good job if you need it to seal.

geoffmck
10-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Clark Rubber stores have heaps of different sized grommets and are sure to have what you need. They have a lot of stuff that you would not think of and are well worth a general browse through.

chris_s
10-12-2009, 09:36 PM
If you dont have to seal the hole just get some split loom tube, any auto spares retailer or chandlery shop stock it, or even snap in bushes.
We use either of them for control wiring in switchboards etc so no problem.
If you decide on loom tube you can either place a cable tie an each end to secure or place heat shrink over each end and shrink down on the loom tube and the cable.
Cheap, easy and effective.

Razgo-
14-12-2009, 05:04 PM
where are you drilling the hole? through the bench seat? i have same issue. haven't decided what to do yet.

RJ5023
15-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Another way is to use self-amalgamating rubber tape. One size fits all.

Just make a few wraps of the tape around the cable and pull it into the drilled hole so that it's nice and snug - and watertight, then put a few more turns of tape around the cable on the other side of the hole. Done.

Cheers,

Luc
15-12-2009, 09:09 PM
At one of my local fastener supplier, I've seen a tool that looks like a small allen key that can be used to remove the burrs on the inside of drilled holes.

Acts like a small rotating file. From memory, not cheap.

Luc