PDA

View Full Version : Barra Dams On A Shoe String Budget

leelee
09-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Dunno if this has been covered but i thought it might be a good time to bring it up.

How much on average guys travelling to the barra dams spend an a daily basis to fish these dams?

Don't forget fuel in boat, fuel in car, camping costs, food and drinks tackle blah blah blah.

I was trying to work out a cheap alternative where as maybe 1-3 guys can head up in 1 boat and do Mondy or Awoonga on a budget.

The cheaper the better of course but not to the point where it makes the trip not worth the effort.

Look forward to hearing your inputs.

Looking for a per person per day style of figure.

I know what I can do it for but wondering what others have managed to get it done with.

Cheers

Lee

NAGG
10-12-2009, 06:03 AM
Hi Lee

Ex Brisbane to Mondy (3 day trip)

I would be looking at

$160 Car Fuel
$ 80 Boat Fuel
$ 60 Camp fees (powered site)

$ 20 / day (food & drink) each person ....... no alcohol

This would be a shoe string trip at around $200 per person (3 anglers)

Once you need to buy placcies , lures , braid ...... then it blows out big time.

Chris

robersl
10-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Hi Lee
I leave caboolture i have a ford sedan $120, boat $60,camping $90, food$30,Lures$20 comes to about $320 with out rum ect, landing a Barra at mondy priceless
I try to find a deckie to help share the costs but if i can't i still go anyway but i prefer a deckie not just for the cost but the company and netting of anyfish

I also try and fill my spare tanks the pay before i go and do a bit of a shop as well so i am not hit with 1 big bill for the trip, last trip was good as i did not have to pay for camping as tim got me onto his work sites that they had booked just fuel and food
shane

warrior
10-12-2009, 03:29 PM
hi lee i travel from hervey bay to awoonga a bit and my car is on gas so 80 bucks fuel up and back $60 boat ,$150 accom 2 nights if we stay out on the dam $0 we kip on the bank when tired in swag or under a tarp between 2 poles and a rope ,50 food, 50 beer 2 of us go usually so half that =$195 each or stay out in boat $125 round about

gav73
10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi Lee travling from Moranbah to Awoonga in a Prado T/D which takes about 6hrs Car
fuel $200 Boat(Nitro640) $80 Accom $225 3 nights Food $60 Beer $150 and say you lost a couple of lures each $60 so on a rough $775 split 2 ways around $385 each .

darylive
10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Lee

Ex Brisbane to Mondy (3 day trip)

I would be looking at

$160 Car Fuel
$ 80 Boat Fuel
$ 60 Camp fees (powered site)

$ 20 / day (food & drink) each person ....... no alcohol

This would be a shoe string trip at around $200 per person (3 anglers)

Once you need to buy placcies , lures , braid ...... then it blows out big time.

Chris

NO ALCOHOL!

Yeh right like that's gonna happen?

Fuel car apx $150
Boat fuel $ 50
Food & grog $100
Camp fees $ 50
ice, gas,stuff$ 50

About $400 for three days for one $250 each for two. ::)

Unless I stop at Foxies which I do :P there's another $100

bar raider
10-12-2009, 07:20 PM
yep, its a $350 - 400 weekend that is almost halved if ya go with a mate.

so who's taking me fishin?? :cheesy:

BR65
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Lee, I just try not to think about it mate!

eureka
10-12-2009, 07:54 PM
live boyne island
car fuel $2.50
boat fuel $7.00
grog 10x XXXX bitters $17.00 wish we had a dan murphrys
fish any day I want
LOL

Whitto
10-12-2009, 07:55 PM
OOOooooohhhhh! the pain:(......unfortunately people we stating what we allready know about costs:'(......Gee's I wonder what keeps us doing it, I just can't seem to put my finger on it:-/ AAAAhhhh I know look down at my signature and Barra ........::)

Whitto
10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
live boyne island
car fuel $2.50
boat fuel $7.00
grog 10x XXXX bitters $17.00 wish we had a dan murphrys
fish any day I want
LOL Thats right Eureka, throw it up in our faces.....You Lucky Lucky B/tard;D

leelee
10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Lee, I just try not to think about it mate!

I know but I guess when you think that there is a possibility of halving the cost and getting a good trip in then it can be a worth while thought;)

Alas I will just keep waiting for that 115cm+ fish i need to catch and that 125cm+ fish I want to catch;D

Cheers

Lee

leelee
10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
OOOooooohhhhh! the pain:(......unfortunately people we stating what we allready know about costs:'(......Gee's I wonder what keeps us doing it, I just can't seem to put my finger on it:-/ AAAAhhhh I know look down at my signature and Barra ........::)

Exactly.

I guess for me it not about the cost, but curious to see what other people have done and ways to cut costs etc.

Shanes idea of filling up the boat on previous pay days is a good idea, then the hip pocket does not hurt so much.

Cheers

Lee

BR65
10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Mate, Ive been sitting on 118 for 2 years come this January, had a few that would have put that to shame, but couldnt close the deal at the vinegear stroke, or net shot, what ever you want to call it. Hazards of having a fixation with hoiking hard bods into timber and liking your own company in the boat!

Rokey doke, costs for me for 3 day run when I solo:

Approx 180 fuel up and back
Approx 60 fuel for boat
Approx 54 for camping
Approx 100 for tucker and beers
Approx ? lost lures, jig heads, leader etc.

Worth it, yup!

King_Kong
10-12-2009, 10:29 PM
What ever it costs ,I'd pay double. Big Mick

Tropicaltrout
11-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Well with the ever climbing cost of each run on a strict budget sleeping in the tub no beer simple food a run will cost around 110 each add 20 for beer each and it a far better trip.

Most trips I like to go for a week or so, so total cost is around 500 maily because i like to have emegency money might need a lure or a fresh carton of beer, but at the end of the day aslong as I there and not here on this button basher I am mile away in glee

NAGG
11-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Actually ....... tips like buying your fuel (boat) or booze the pay before lessen the impact considerably
Shared cost (2 or 3 anglers) is also an obvious one
Buying a roast & freezing it beforehand.
Tackle ... bits a pieces through the year ( specially line & lures).
Make your own block ice .

AVOID THE GIN GIN CRAB POT ;);D;D;D

& there are probably heaps of other cost saving tips

What are some others :)

Chris

robersl
11-12-2009, 08:51 AM
when cooking for the family spag bol ect make a little extra and freeze some in contatiners for the next trip away i do it with homemade pea and ham soup for the winter trips

shane

matt fraser
11-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Actually ....... tips like buying your fuel (boat) or booze the pay before lessen the impact considerably
Shared cost (2 or 3 anglers) is also an obvious one
Buying a roast & freezing it beforehand.
Tackle ... bits a pieces through the year ( specially line & lures).
Make your own block ice .

AVOID THE GIN GIN CRAB POT ;);D;D;D

& there are probably heaps of other cost saving tips

What are some others :)

Chris

Longer trips (as in more days - not distance) give you better value for your fuel dollars8-) Or move to Gin Gin or Gladstone::)

Do all your shopping/and take preprepared meals so you don't need to do much cooking, or do any extra trips to the shops. Or you can just live on musilea bars and tinned food, like I did on my solo Mondy trip.

Book the cheapest/Dodgiest accommodation you can find and pack as many mates in as possible.;D Just make sure you bring ear plugs, as there is usually one woodcutter in the group:D

Or..... camp out on the boat/bank, if you opt for the bank lookout for ant colonies, insect plagues and curious cows. But at the moment with so many islands emerging at Mondy, you could have your own (not so) secluded island getaway, complete with good amounts of campfire fodder;D

Don't loose expensive fishing outfits overboard, or allow your Minn Kota to self deploy. These things tend to make trips more expensive!::)

Cheers, I think it must be nearly Rum O' Clock!

Matt

Roo
11-12-2009, 04:50 PM
I could halve my costs if I didn't bring The missus:-* .....then I could bring someone else to share costs with;D
I'm sure there would be a revolt amongst the usual suspects tho' as I would be less than likely to make rocky road for you ravenous lot....and if I did, do ya think I'd share it!;D Bwahahahaha it's Mine ALL MINE!!

dont worry, the cook won't let go without her under threat of castration....tough call... i guess i dont really need them:o

Whitto
11-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I could halve my costs if I didn't bring The missus:-* .....then I could bring someone else to share costs with;D
I'm sure there would be a revolt amongst the usual suspects tho' as I would be less than likely to make rocky road for you ravenous lot....and if I did, do ya think I'd share it!;D Bwahahahaha it's Mine ALL MINE!!

dont worry, the cook won't let go without her under threat of castration....tough call... i guess i dont really need them:o Gee's Rod Castration is a bit much:P......Thats going to throw your boat stance balance out big time;)........A good heavy handed Squirrel Grip should suffice;D....

BobbyJ123
12-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Dunno if this has been covered but i thought it might be a good time to bring it up.

How much on average guys travelling to the barra dams spend an a daily basis to fish these dams?

Don't forget fuel in boat, fuel in car, camping costs, food and drinks tackle blah blah blah.

I was trying to work out a cheap alternative where as maybe 1-3 guys can head up in 1 boat and do Mondy or Awoonga on a budget.

The cheaper the better of course but not to the point where it makes the trip not worth the effort.

Look forward to hearing your inputs.

Looking for a per person per day style of figure.

I know what I can do it for but wondering what others have managed to get it done with.

Cheers

Lee

Living near Mackay, it's cheap to go barra fishing; 1 dam 60 km away, 2nd dam 80 km and Peter Faust is 130 km away...Ergo, live in or near Mackay...:P

Even get them in the local ck, 1 km away and off the rocks 1 km away.;D

Cheers, Bobj.

The Iceman
12-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Offer to take Rainbowrunner up and then you might get to stay in a rangers house at Awoonga saving on accomodation

Apollo
12-12-2009, 07:41 AM

dont worry, the cook won't let go without her under threat of castration....tough call... i guess i dont really need them:o

Roo

Ya kiddin aren't you? You are giving Kim ideas! She might be thinking now to flick you and find a new deckie or two. Bet she will get more offers from deckies than you too;D She offers pleasant company, rocky road, hot ute, rocky road, pancake making ability, rocky road, fishing skills, rocky road, better to look at than most skippers, rocky road and ROCKY ROAD. You offer? .................................................. .................................................. ..............................The ability to put up tents, able to lift moderately heavy loads, 1/2 shares in the largest tackle collection in the world. Lucky your a good bloke.

Seriously dude, don't mention this again or you may be left at home washing dishes.:o

Steve

Apollo
12-12-2009, 07:46 AM
My best option for a cheap barra dam is 5km away from home.

Fuel $1.50 ute
Fuel $0.00 boat (all on the bow mount)
Beer $8.00
Snacks $5.00

$14.50 for two

Steve

Peter4
12-12-2009, 08:33 AM

Fuel $1.50 ute
Beer $8.00
Snacks $5.00

$14.50 for two

Hmmm.......not a good way to make friends Steve!;D

From Brissy for 4 days/3 nights

Fuel car $150
Fuel Boat $50
Food & drinks $100
Cabin accommodation $450
Tackle & miscellaneous $100

$850 for two...geez, we'll have to start camping!;)
Thank God its only money and not that important!

Pete & Kyle

NAGG
12-12-2009, 08:45 AM

Fuel $1.50 ute
Beer $8.00
Snacks $5.00

$14.50 for two

Steve

$8.00 for BEER :o:o:o:o now we know you are pulling our chain ( one upmanship);D

nipsta
12-12-2009, 09:12 AM

think of all the bitter fellows for not getting there rockyroad though roo

nipsta
12-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Well i guess ill put up the cost even though i always seem too travel solo its not as bad as some with these flash boats . 2 night trip from sunny coast to mondy

Accomadation $50
Fuel For navara $100
Fuel for Boat $40 if i use that
Food $50
Bevarges $40
Lures Nil For a while
Oil $5
Ice $o if only 2 nights

SO thats $285 for 2 nights if i had a extra it would be round $350 increase accomadation and Drink

So $175 each

robersl
12-12-2009, 09:58 AM
also another idea is if you know you are going ring up and pay your camping fee's a few weeks early to help avaiod the big hit in funds at the last minute

shane

Apollo
12-12-2009, 02:43 PM
$8.00 for BEER :o:o:o:o now we know you are pulling our chain ( one upmanship);D

Nagg

six beers= $8 1 on the water (need to maintain focus, correct stance, lightening reaction speed, etc), two after (need to drive home) x 2 (Mark and I)

So, yeah baby, no chain pulling for me:o.

Steve

trymyluck
15-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Nagg

six beers= $8 1 on the water (need to maintain focus, correct stance, lightening reaction speed, etc), two after (need to drive home) x 2 (Mark and I)

So, yeah baby, no chain pulling for me:o.

Steve

Yes thats with me having to drive there, next time i'll get dropped off and picked up. Then it will be more like

1 beer for Steve on the water (need to maintain focus, correct stance. lightening reaction speed::), ect) And he has to pilot the boat.

10 for ME as its so fricken thirsty :LMAO: watching him wave his thingy around.(Wand, Fly rod)..........Just thought I'd better clear that up.

2 for Steve after (He has to DRIVE home;D)

5 For ME (cause I'm NOT driving;D)

Although I suspect it would be a cold wet walk home after Steve throws me out of the boat and no one answers the ph.:-X:-X:-X:-X

Apollo
16-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Yes thats with me having to drive there, next time i'll get dropped off and picked up. Then it will be more like

1 beer for Steve on the water (need to maintain focus, correct stance. lightening reaction speed::), ect) And he has to pilot the boat.

10 for ME as its so fricken thirsty :LMAO: watching him wave his thingy around.(Wand, Fly rod)..........Just thought I'd better clear that up.

2 for Steve after (He has to DRIVE home;D)

5 For ME (cause I'm NOT driving;D)

Although I suspect it would be a cold wet walk home after Steve throws me out of the boat and no one answers the ph.:-X:-X:-X:-X

Laugh it up hill billy. When are we going out in YOUR boat next ? Hic:drunk:

Mine you, your above analysis pretty much sums up my beer drinking skills in comparison to yours, so fairs fair.