PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Lowrance GPS module

Big_Ren
09-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi all

Just spent a week at Monduran running around blindfolded after my GPS decided not to work as soon as I put the boat in the water.

I have a Lowrance LCX 28c HD, and the mushroom/puck/aerial is a LGC-3000. It is all networked with NMEA 2000 (blue I think. I did not install it).

When I powered up, the sounder worked fine (all week), but the GPS refused to initialise and would not grab a satellite.

Each time it displayed the following message: GPS module not responding.

I am stumped as to whether this is an aerial issue (as there is clearly power to the head unit), or whether I have blown a fuse.

I thought that with NMEA 2000, the GPS had its own 3amp fuse separate to that which powers the sounder, but if it does, I do not know where to locate it to test it.

The unit is over 12 months old now so out of warranty, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Chimo
09-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi paul

My GlobalMap Lowrance had pixcel issues and it was over a year old, turns out there was a 3 year warranty. Are you sure yours has only got a year?

I'd be ringing them if I were you.

Cheers
Chimo

honda900
09-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Big_Ren,

If it is an nmea connection to your antenna, on the LCX, from the menu you can go through the network menu and you will find an nmea diagnostics menu. go into the run diags.

What this will do is send some data out on to the NMEA bus and see what devices respond, so if your antenna is working you will see a large number of responses and you should see your device.

The NMEA bus is connected to 12v power to power devices so you probly need to check that fuse as well (in line fuse).

Regards
HOnda.

trymyluck
09-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi
My lms337 does it quite often, problem is always fixed by removing the lead coming from gps module and plugging it back in. Sprayed it with some inox and it doesn't do it as often but occasionally still happens. There is no sign of corrosion on the pins.
Had a few dramas a couple of weeks ago with the outboard and the sounder got left on coming home from Hervey Bay and I think that I have done some damage to the transducer but thats another story.
Mark

skipalong
09-12-2009, 08:21 PM
paul, mate you need a new antenna, just had the same problem and got my new antenna on today, cost me $130 for a replacement unit, get onto them asap as it took them 6 weeks to get it organised slack arses.

they are a common fault they are breaking the wires where they go into the antenna.

justin

Big_Ren
09-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks so much everyone

Chimo - I had the Ranger built and imported from the US, including the supply of electronics and the installation of the NMEA networking backbone. I am pretty sure it was a 12 month warranty but will check for sure, and with the importers, Sports Fishing Boats Australia in Sydney.

Honda - Thanks and I was hoping you'd reply. I will check the NMEA menu. I have used it before for assorted things including fuel management I think, so I know where it is. I have a main fuse box with 16-20 mini blade fuses so will check that (I know the sounder fuse is there as I fixed it once when she blew). Also had probs with the stereo at one stage but after much looking we found the in line fuse in the rear compartment battery box and it was corroded like you would not believe. Everything was working perfectly from my August trip but the module has not responded since I had my 100 hour engine service. I rang them for good measure, but can't see how the service has had anything to do with the issue.

Mark - I will try that as well. Apart from the aforementioned stereo fuse, there is no corrosion anywhere as far as I can tell. But will give it a go too.

Justin - The puck is where I thought I had the problem because I had power to the head unit and the sounder (it's a combo) works perfectly at all speeds (shoot thru hull transducer).

Cheers
Paul

leelee
10-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks so much everyone

Chimo - I had the Ranger built and imported from the US, including the supply of electronics and the installation of the NMEA networking backbone. I am pretty sure it was a 12 month warranty but will check for sure, and with the importers, Sports Fishing Boats Australia in Sydney.

Honda - Thanks and I was hoping you'd reply. I will check the NMEA menu. I have used it before for assorted things including fuel management I think, so I know where it is. I have a main fuse box with 16-20 mini blade fuses so will check that (I know the sounder fuse is there as I fixed it once when she blew). Also had probs with the stereo at one stage but after much looking we found the in line fuse in the rear compartment battery box and it was corroded like you would not believe. Everything was working perfectly from my August trip but the module has not responded since I had my 100 hour engine service. I rang them for good measure, but can't see how the service has had anything to do with the issue.

Mark - I will try that as well. Apart from the aforementioned stereo fuse, there is no corrosion anywhere as far as I can tell. But will give it a go too.

Justin - The puck is where I thought I had the problem because I had power to the head unit and the sounder (it's a combo) works perfectly at all speeds (shoot thru hull transducer).

Cheers
Paul

Hi mate.

Could be a few issues causeing the porblem

1. New aerial. The way to find that out is grab a mate who has a LGC 3000 or greater aerial and plug in into your unit.

2. Your actual unit could have an issue interfacing with the aerial.

3. Aerial location. Really your aerial should be at least 1m from the unit. I know mine was closer then 1m but some days it worked and somedays i kept getting the same error you are getting and it normally used to happen in the morning and on part overcast days. Took a while for this issue to pop up and did not happen for a few months.

4. Check your fuses. The most important ones are the ones located within the bildge area as they carode very quickly if not looked after. Then look at the fuse panel under the dash and pull out every fuse and check them all. Also check the actual NMEA bus setup in the menu like honda has mentioned.

One other thing is the LCX28 on the bow on helm and what other unit do you have on the boat and is it GPS capable?

Failing all that let me know as I have a spare LGC3000 aerial that you can use and borrow to trouabel shot the problem if you need it, so maybe we cna work something out as I might be coming up to the Sunny coast between Xmas and the start of the new year.

Cheers

Lee

BR65
10-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Obviously the boats a dog, I'll give ya $1500 for it, if you throw in a full tank of fuel, and fill the esky with ice and black cans mate ;D

Good luck buddy, your going to need that gps in a couple of weeks.

leelee
10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Obviously the boats a dog, I'll give ya $1500 for it, if you throw in a full tank of fuel, and fill the esky with ice and black cans mate ;D

Good luck buddy, your going to need that gps in a couple of weeks.

ha ha ha ha ha ha

Should be filling the livewell with the black cans:o

Cheers

Lee

Spaniard_King
10-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Paul.

There should be 2 power connections going to that unit both need to be powered up.

the antenna power supply needs to be switched or you will flatten batteries as it will always draw power if left on. What else is on that NMEA 2000 network?

Big_Ren
10-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey Lee - Maybe it is the aerial but it has been working like a trooper since I picked up the boat in July 2008. Don't think it is an interfacing problem for the above reason alone. LowranceNet is also perfectly matched to Suzuki in terms of the NMEA network. Location of the aerial is not a problem either as the head unit is on a ram mount beside my wheel and the puck is about 2 metres or more away, located on the transom gunwale (portside). I reckon your point 4 (fuses in the bilge) is worth checking out as that is where I had major corrosion problems with the stereo fuse. I religiously check the fuses in the fuse box (starboard rod locker - weatherproof, and that's where the sounder fuse is)...but worth a check again for sure. The LCX 28 is on the helm and a 510c is on the bow, but not GPS capable (both are interfaced through the NMEA though). Failing all that, if I still can't get it right I'll whiz you a PM if you do happen to be up this way (we're at Pelican Waters). Thanks heaps mate for some excellent suggestions.

Brian - Brother, you're a bad man. Bechly has already made a prior offer for slightly more (maybe $100;D), so I'm still considering lol. Black cans...hmm...it has a percentage on the can so can't be too bad but mostly white tins end up as squatters in the cooler8-) The price you offer is fine except it will cost you lots and lots and lots to buy the trailer that she sits on (they have to go together;)) I really hope I sort out the GPS (maybe a loose wire as well???) Only six weeks 'til we're back on our favourite little waterway. Lee - livewell doubles as my bin spaces for empty black/white cans, as well as storage for my emergency No 2 receptacle.:o

Garry, long time no speak. I will have to go back through the schematics to see if there is a dedicated kill switch (recommended) for the NMEA power. Obviously I don't use it if it exists, but I am still getting all my fuel management data no probs. Have a VSR but that only charges the batteries from the alternator when we are underway obviously. Will check that out too. Great suggestion mate. I'm running nothing but the LCX combo and the bow sounder on the network.

PS....Garry I should add that I am also running the EP35 water temp sensor and EP10 fuel flow sensor.

Cheers
Paul

leelee
10-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Another option is to get another Lowrance unit like a lms unit or another lcx and plug it in to your setup and see if that unit experiences the same problems.

Also if you can't figure out the problem then I can bring the aerial and my lms unit and then you shoudl be bale to find were the fault actually is.

Cheers

Lee

John Buoy
11-12-2009, 07:44 AM
For single blue splitter connectors check the NMEA cabling and make sure you have an approriate 60ohms terminator on any open end connector

It's quite possible that it was altered or loose or bad connections.

If using a double T connector make sure the end terminators are there
and a 120ohms

If possible connect the antenna directly to the unit and bypass the
network also making sure the module has power to it ie check fuse isn't blown

Regards Frank

Big_Ren
11-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the kind offer Lee. I'll let you know how I go mate. I have quite a few troubleshooting options to work through now.

Frank - my hunch is that it is a fuse in the bilge (for the aerial) that has corroded. I haven't had a chance to look in there yet. But I will also check the termintor connections on the backbone to eliminate to rule that in our out.

Cheers and thanks all

Paul

Bowser
12-12-2009, 11:56 AM
If you have other sender units on the NMEA network (Suzuki) and the LCX is reading them then it won't be a fuse as there should only be 1 power source to the network. If they aren't sending then you have a network problem. This can be power, incorrect terminal connectors, or a couple of other things but given that it was working I would suggest it is power or something has become disconnected.

Check that the network is IDing the LGC in the NMEA network through the menu system. If it isn't showing there then it would appear that you have blown the LGC somehow. If you can connect another LGC to the network and receive signal then it is definately the LGC.

mirage
13-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi Paul, I think you'll find you need a new antenna. I've had the same problem twice!! Once with the older LGC-2000 and once with the LGC-3000. After all the trouble shooting it was always a new antenna required. Lowrance said if it was just outside the warranty period they would still send a new antenna for free as it is a common fault. Unfortunately it was a unit bought from the USA, which they knew as soon as I gave them the serial number of it. They did however sell me a new antenna at cost, which was about $150.00 cheaper than retail.

trymyluck
19-12-2009, 08:07 AM
So did you find the problem???????????

Mark

Big_Ren
23-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Still no luck Mark. I have checked the NMEA, everything seems tight, all the fuses in the fuse block, and have tried a soft reset....all to no avail. I am thinking of taking the head unit down to a a dealer to see that it is okay.

I am still looking for a mythical fuse in the bilge area that may be for the aerial.

Other than that, I'm still scratching my head. All wires seem tight as well. I am just hoping it is a fuse or a loose wire as I think the aerial - which is a puck mounted to the gunwale at the stern - will not be that easy to remove.

I have not given up.

Cheers
Paul

Big_Ren
11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
To all who provided advice, I thank you.

As some had suggested, the problem was a dodgy aerial.

A new aerial has been purchased and I am back in business.

Thanks again.

Paul

outsiderskip
11-01-2010, 04:06 PM
paul
i got a loan off 1
i had same problem
had to replace head module only
ring navico in sydney and get new one in few days

pete

Big_Ren
11-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks Pete. All ready sorted. BIAS had a spare one lying on the shop floor. Very flukey. Unscrewed the old one and re-screwed the new one to the bracket and bingo...she works fine.

Hope you have been well and catching plenty. Long time no speak.

Cheers
Paul