PDA

View Full Version : Transducer location V17R

Makka Nick
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
G'day folks,

I've just had the transom replaced on my V17R and a new motor installed. Subsequently I now need to re-attach the transducer for my Garmin unit. Can anyone give me advice as to where/how I should position the transducer, especially those experienced with V17R's or similar deep vee hulls.

Any photos etc of similar installations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

Vitamin Sea
08-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Makka

This will give you an idea, 19C boat, can read at 35 knts

Cheers

VS

Makka Nick
09-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks mate, not sure if it's the angle but is your ducer outside the diameter of your prop? Looks like it's a fair bit below your hull also, does that help? How much of a rooster tail does it throw up? You must be doing something right if it reads at 35knts.

Jarrah Jack
09-12-2009, 08:36 AM
On my 16r I've mounted my transducer in line with the strake that ends at the transom. Its the one about 150mm down from where the sides meet the bottom.

Can't say I can get a reading at 35knts though more like 15 so I'd be interested to see how you go on this. The placement is per recommendation in the lowrance handbook.

mowerman
09-12-2009, 03:40 PM
For the Lowrance in my v17c the trans is in the same place as Jacks.
Just off the strake.

Reads perfect up to wot. 36knts.

Its under the piece of pvc pipe cover.

Rod

Makka Nick
10-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks fellas, that's where I had the transducer before the transom replacement. Worked well but I still had signal dropouts every now and then. How do you run your cable to the dash? Do you follow the same route as the engine harness etc or would that cause issues with interference.

Someone advised that I should take the boat for a run and look for spots where "clean water" can be seen under the transom as I'm under way.

Vitamin Sea
10-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks mate, not sure if it's the angle but is your ducer outside the diameter of your prop? Looks like it's a fair bit below your hull also, does that help? How much of a rooster tail does it throw up? You must be doing something right if it reads at 35knts.

Yep, it is outside of the prop dia, not by a lot though. At the high side of the hull ( if you know what I mean ) the ducer would be down about 8mm for memory, so it's not really that deep, no rooster tail.

On flat water will read at wot, no worries ( 40+ )

If you placed your's in a similar position can't see why it would not work the same.

I know it's working for Rod and Jarrah, but as a rule, you should not mount ducers behind strakes.

Cheers

VS

Jarrah Jack
10-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks fellas, that's where I had the transducer before the transom replacement. Worked well but I still had signal dropouts every now and then. How do you run your cable to the dash? Do you follow the same route as the engine harness etc or would that cause issues with interference.

Someone advised that I should take the boat for a run and look for spots where "clean water" can be seen under the transom as I'm under way.

Keep the transducer cables away from all other cableing as much as possible which means running the transducer cables down the opposite side of the boat to the engine cables.

I know how you feel with a new transom, you don't want to put any more holes in it than you have to.

Cheers

Makka Nick
10-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Yep, it is outside of the prop dia, not by a lot though. At the high side of the hull ( if you know what I mean ) the ducer would be down about 8mm for memory, so it's not really that deep, no rooster tail.

On flat water will read at wot, no worries ( 40+ )

If you placed your's in a similar position can't see why it would not work the same.

I know it's working for Rod and Jarrah, but as a rule, you should not mount ducers behind strakes.

Cheers

VS

So your transducer must be slightly above the hull on the "low side", is that correct? I think mounting the transducer as close to center as possible is a good idea. I'll make sure I run the cable on the opposite side to the engine harness.

2DKnBJ
10-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I have my transducer mounted on my V 17R in the same position as Mowerman.
Reads at 75kph no prob.I know a few other 17 R and L's that have them in the same position.

Cheers Dazza

Vitamin Sea
10-12-2009, 07:51 PM
So your transducer must be slightly above the hull on the "low side", is that correct? I think mounting the transducer as close to center as possible is a good idea. I'll make sure I run the cable on the opposite side to the engine harness.

I'll get a pic for you macca, make it clear, good idea to run cables opposite side of power etc, I have

Cheers

Makka Nick
05-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks for your help fellas, I mounted the transducer in a similar spot to Vitamin Sea, except on the straboard side. Works perfectly at 80kp/h+, needless to say I'm a happy man.