PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lowrance HDS5

Chris McCurdy
06-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Just purchased a new lowrance HDS5 Sounder and am needing a little help with the fine tuning of sonar and over all set up for best results for shallow water fishing (esturies). Cheers

sagair
09-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Cheers Mate, check out this link to Utube and others related to this will show also.
&NR=1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63RsB3G7BGw&NR=1 (http://&NR=1)

lee8sec
09-12-2009, 04:17 PM
I have just got a boat that has one fitted(hds5x & 5m).
I have only used it twice so cant offer you much assistance other than they say that they will work very well in auto mode.
I have had a play with it in manual mode and adjusted the settings but was happy in auto. I fish in 5meters plus at hervey bay.
Iam waiting on the ethernet cable for mine so i can upgrade the software, the latest version is better in auto mode acording to the ungrade info
. Mine is 4months old.
Check your soft ware version against the upgrades.
Going out again tomorrow, if i learn any more i will let you know. Leigh

Just purchased a new lowrance HDS5 Sounder and am needing a little help with the fine tuning of sonar and over all set up for best results for shallow water fishing (esturies). Cheers

Bowser
12-12-2009, 11:59 AM
You don't need the ethernet cable if your computer has a card reader. Just follow the instructions and load the program onto an SD card.

If you haven't got a card reader I would suggest that it is a better option then the cable anyway. By card transfer you don't have to take the computer anywhere near the boat and it is a much easier way to transfer info between the unit and various computer programs that you can use.

lee8sec
12-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I run a 5M & 5X, the 5X doesn't have a card slot, you update it from the 5M, which has a card slot using the ethernet cable which you update first with a SD card. Nothing to do with my computer. Leigh

PS, if your not shore hows its done this explains it. http://www.lowrance.com.au/en-au/Products/Marine/HDS-High-Definition-System/HDS-5x-Multifunction-Echosounder/Downloads/HDS-5x-Software-Update/

You don't need the ethernet cable if your computer has a card reader. Just follow the instructions and load the program onto an SD card.

If you haven't got a card reader I would suggest that it is a better option then the cable anyway. By card transfer you don't have to take the computer anywhere near the boat and it is a much easier way to transfer info between the unit and various computer programs that you can use.

Teabag73
12-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I run a 5M & 5X, the 5X doesn't have a card slot, you update it from the 5M, which has a card slot using the ethernet cable which you update first with a SD card. Nothing to do with my computer. Leigh

PS, if your not shore hows its done this explains it. http://www.lowrance.com.au/en-au/Products/Marine/HDS-High-Definition-System/HDS-5x-Multifunction-Echosounder/Downloads/HDS-5x-Software-Update/

I too have the HDS 5x and HDS 5m and the sounder doesn't have an SD slot so instead of buying the ethernet cable I just took it back to the dealer (Bill's Marine in Cairns) and they where more than happy to update it with no charge incurred and with prompt service...........

lee8sec
13-12-2009, 02:43 PM
I had heard some dealers where doing that. I decided to get the cable, that way i can have a go my self.

How do you like your units? Leigh

Teabag73
13-12-2009, 03:37 PM
I had heard some dealers where doing that. I decided to get the cable, that way i can have a go my self.

How do you like your units? Leigh

Absolutly fantastic units and are more than happy with them...Mine still holds bottom at 42kns.......I'm down your way every now and then as the Wife's family live in Hervey Bay......

lee8sec
13-12-2009, 04:30 PM
I only moved here 6 weeks ago. Still finding out about the fishing here & where/ when/ tides & the what ever to go with it. Got a 45 cm snapper on thursday. Only had the boat with the HDS units 2 weeks, still getting use to it. Mine holds bottom well at cruise speed. Leigh

Absolutly fantastic units and are more than happy with them...Mine still holds bottom at 42kns.......I'm down your way every now and then as the Wife's family live in Hervey Bay......