PDA

View Full Version : Brooker Safari Owners - a few questions

geoffmck
06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I have just bought a 4.1 Safari and am seeking some info/advice.

The front hatch just sits there. Has anyone had trouble with it moving? Has anyone fitted hinges to the front of hatch?

Has anyone fitted an underfloor fuel tank just back from the casting deck? Does anyone have a portable tank under the casting deck instead?

Thanks

Corsie
06-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah Geoffmck, I put hinges on the front side of the hatch and it works well.
As far as the fuel tank under the hatch, I was also considering doing that too, but I found that I had adequate range with my portable plus a 10 litre fuel container. I ended up filling up most of the under deck area with flotation/soundproofing because that big open under deck area acts like a drum and can be noisy when hitting chop or waves. I would live with the boat for a while and see what ends up bugging you most, then utilise the space on these things

andoland
06-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Good (and obvious) idea with the hinges - I hadn't thougth of that so will look at it on mine. The hatch does slide backward if there is anything sitting on it over a bit of chop or rough road.

geoffmck I have also thought of putting a fuel tank in there hard up against the back wall of the casting deck, mainly to try to get some weight a bit more forward. If you work anything out I'd be interested to know what you end up with.

geoffmck
06-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Good (and obvious) idea with the hinges - I hadn't thougth of that so will look at it on mine. The hatch does slide backward if there is anything sitting on it over a bit of chop or rough road.

geoffmck I have also thought of putting a fuel tank in there hard up against the back wall of the casting deck, mainly to try to get some weight a bit more forward. If you work anything out I'd be interested to know what you end up with.

No worries, I'll be sure to share any ideas as I get things setup.

geoffmck
12-12-2009, 10:14 PM
I haven't had a lot of spare time to work on the boat but this morning I added some aluminium angle to the front hatch to stop it bowing every time it got wet. This seems to be a common problem with standard issue tinny floors that are not sealed properly. I did not want to go to the trouble of removing the carpet etc. so the angle works well and stiffens the hatch up to boot.
I also installed some hinges on the hatch and plan to add a stainless steel locking hasp so I can lock up some things like inflatable lifejackets, fishfinder, gps etc. when on the road or camping. I will also replace the screws on the other decks of the casting platform with 3/16 stainless bolts and locknuts which will a make the locker very secure. I use locknuts on all fastenings on the boat anyway so I never have to worry about things coming loose. Cheap once only installation then. Some pics attached.
I have still not finalised where I will install my fishfinder or been able to source a "kick-up" type bracket for the transducer from anywhere.

Axl
13-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Looking good mate glad to see it is all comming together.

pig75
13-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I put hinges and latches also a seat mount
Fuel tank is in the back under the screw cap

pig75
13-12-2009, 03:19 PM
This is where i mounted my sounder