PDA

View Full Version : Fishing For doughnuts

Scalem
06-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Tim D, For Steve ( Brad) and I fished in tough conditions out to the 36's off the goldy, then tried the 24's for zip. Not too proud to admit even the plastics brigade did't really have anything to put on the scoreboard.

There was practiclly nothing on the sounder at the 36's, it was very choppy with a few whitecaps and meter + swell.

We tried coming in shallower, saw lots of encouraging shapes on the sounder, but the current seemed to make it near impossible to fish. Brad said even despite the fish not wanting to come out and play, he still loved the chance to escape a busy work schedule to come out for a fish. I agree mate, some ( yours truely) just need a little reminding ......

I caught this thing that had rubber lips like a mother in law fish, but the spots made it for something we didn't recognize, so back in the drink she went. Anyone know what it is? Brad had one of those fish encyclopedias with him and came up with a couple of suggestions, but I am not too sure I agree its is either a juvenile marlin or a sole::)
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/100_6819.jpg

Scalem

whatscracken
06-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I've caught a few of those at Peel Scalem. Not sure what their called.

razorline
06-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Thats a spotted hind (spelling?) They're more common further north.

Cheers Liam

timddo
06-12-2009, 08:26 AM
scalem.

thats is an ugly brown rod you got on the side and who would buy an orange reel.::)

i think that fish is a member of the sweetlip family. The fish taste alright but not good.

Also you need a para-anchor number 7. those socks you buy from bia's or whitworths are for decorations only ;D . TIM D must be holding back oh his secret spots. ;D .

Is Don Is GOOD
06-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Netted sweetlip in grants guide to fishes. I have caught a few decent size ones aswell and found them quite good on the chew! Just fillet and skin them and fry up with some butter.

Cheers Donnan

Goldfinch
06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
All sounds pretty quiet at the moment. I went out in the bay on Friday with Tim_N for a spin. I lost a trophy fish to the bottom on an SP and then Tim landed a nice School Macky on a pilly. After that all we got were Mac Tuna's and Bonito's casting slugs into surface action. Bit of fun and a good sign of the pelagic action to come over the summer.
December is a tough time to fish I reckon.....wind, current, water temp.

Still keen to take you through the Sth Passage Scalem.

Scalem
06-12-2009, 12:29 PM
scalem.

thats is an ugly brown rod you got on the side and who would buy an orange reel.

i think that fish is a member of the sweetlip family. The fish taste alright but not good.

Also you need a para-anchor number 7. those socks you buy from bia's or whitworths are for decorations only . TIM D must be holding back oh his secret spots. .

Timddo

You are right about a couple of things, but if I agreed about the colour of a certain reel and the ugly rod, I won't ever be offered red rock chilli chips again!

The sock in the background was actually proving what you are saying. Hopeless peace of crap does nothing to slow the boats' drift, a number 7 para should be on the Christmas list of things to get.

Netted sweetlip in grants guide to fishes. I have caught a few decent size ones aswell and found them quite good on the chew! Just fillet and skin them and fry up with some butter.

Cheers Donnan

So instead of chicken soup for dinner I could have had fish instead? That would be right! Although happy to have C&R with something none of us knew what it was.

Scalem

Poodroo
06-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Scalem your trip wasn't too dissimilar to my last trip. The only difference is I knew what the one and only fish I caught was and took it home for dinner. ;) Truth be known I did catch more than one fish but the brag mat doesn't measure in millimeters. :-X One keeper is better than nothing though.

Poodroo

Vitamin Sea
06-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Spotted Hind is correct, get a few around Lookout

Cheers

VS

TimD
06-12-2009, 08:53 PM
that is an ugly brown rod you got on the side and who would buy an orange reel.::)
You just wish it was in your rod rack don't ya tim :P

You are right about a couple of things, but if I agreed about the colour of a certain reel and the ugly rod, I won't ever be offered red rock chilli chips again!
Scalem

Thats right Brian, don't agree with tim or i will never share my red rock deli chips again ;D

cheers tim :)

For Steve
06-12-2009, 09:14 PM
It's a bloody marlin... (and it tasted delicious)...

Thanks for the day on the water - I really enjoyed the salt air and the rockin' and rollin' of the ocean. As for the fishing... well we'll get 'em next time!

Talk soon mate,
Brad

TimD
06-12-2009, 09:22 PM
It's a bloody marlin... (and it tasted delicious)...

Thanks for the day on the water - I really enjoyed the salt air and the rockin' and rollin' of the ocean. As for the fishing... well we'll get 'em next time!

Talk soon mate,
Brad

I'm with you Brad, i think it's a juvenile marlin too ;D

cheers tim :)

vertico
07-12-2009, 01:20 AM
netted sweetlip i recun but id chuck it back anyday of the week :P