PDA

View Full Version : Harnell 806 two piece spinner

BigE
04-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Ausfishers,
I am looking for some knowledge about this type of rod. It was my dads prised possion and was never used by anyone but dad. He's passed on to that secert fishing spot in the sky and left this rod to me. I believe he aquirred it when working on the docks in bris some time in the 60's and is still in reasonable nick, I am thinking of having it restored but dont know much about it ( dad always treated it as if it was gold .... but we were poor at that time and it probably was gold to him) the rod is a 2 piece genuine Harnell "Ultimate" with triple cork grips with a space in the lower cork grip for a double handed cast. It was matched to an Olympic 550 mark 3 high speed spining reel and was stored with some "old school" two gang tailor rigs. Any thoughts would be appreicated.

Thanks BigE

Owen
04-12-2009, 09:42 PM
BigE

Doc Ski is probably your man.
I believe he used to wrap for Harnell at one point.
I'll email your post to him and see if he can drop in here.

His father is crook at the moment, so it may not happen straight away.

BigE
04-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks Owen.

The rod is labled Genuine Harnell , Venice Calif.

So I think it is a yank outfit. Let me know what he ( Doc Ski) says. Thoughts & Prayers for his father.
BigE

Owen
05-12-2009, 07:32 AM
BigE

Doc is tied up with his sick Dad, so he didn't have time to register here, but he did send me this reply.

Harrington/Harnells made in Venice were made prior to the late 1960s cause that is when I hooked up with Jean and John in their Oxnard location. They were made with Varmac components but unless you have someone with old parts laying around you will need to use Perfection SS to make it look as close to original as possible. People will have to look hard to see the difference. As to wrapping there are two color combinations used on Harnells. One is 326 Plain Gudebrod over 209 Plain Gudebrod and the other is 358 Plain Gudebrod over 209 Plain Gudebrod. the 358 is no longer available but I think I have some extra if you want me to send it. That is about all I can tell you without knowing the blank number.

If you could pass that on for me Owen it might help him.

BigE
05-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks Owen
The only number I can find on the rod is 806 written along the edge of the harnell fish symbol / bandmark, not sure if this number will referance to the binding style or not. the rod eyes are striaght SS without any inner ring and seem to be of a pretty high quality.

Thanks
Ian

Owen
05-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Ian,
Take a few photos and post them up.
Perfection guides (and the varmac units on yours) look like the image below.

When you say you want to "restore" it, what is needed?

Owen
06-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Ian,
326 Gudebrod is a red colur
358 is green
209 is goldenrod (yellow)
It's likely that they used size C thread on your rod, but if you can find the right colours in A that would be fine.
I saw some 358 on ebay.
You'll need plain nylon, not NCP if you want to mach the existing thread.

Charlie
07-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Seemed to be a popular rod in the US, still in business and supposed to be relaunching in graphite not that there is anything inherently wrong with those old fiberglass surf rods, I have Synder rods that date back to the 80's they still do the job.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=365696

BigE
13-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Owen & Charlie thanks for the replies have attached some pics.

BigE