PDA

View Full Version : A skippers' responsibilities

Scalem
04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Preparing for a trip ofshore today, I had a wresting match with the new inflatable PDF life jackets bought recently. Last time I went out my passenger, a child, was big enough to wear the new life jacket. The straps were so twisted from one of the last users of it ( who shall remain nameless) that it became confusing how to actually wear the Bl#$dy thing. Just as well we were not in an emergency situation or the lifejacket may not have performed the way it should, and we gave up and gave him a different one to wear.

I pulled all the strap out through the guides and started all over, including the quick clip buckle. All sorted now, but I wondered how many people actually bother with a drill and test putting lifejackets on, and time themselves how long it takes.::)

Other items owners are responsible for include the obligatory safety gear and to make sure radios work, flares are not out of date, enough water per person per day... The list is endless. Engine is in top working order ..... Letting someone beside VMR know where you are going. .....

Any more??

Scalem

QF3 MROCP
04-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Scalem...

have a look at the poll results.. this may answer your question in part..

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=152782

Peter

Alchemy
04-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Scalem,

I only carry the zip up vest types (PFD1). They have a couple of clip together straps too, but are far easier and quicker to put on than the other over the head types. The way I look at it is that if they are ever needed, I don't want to be stressed out trying to get it on me or anyone else!

Dave.

tinman42
05-12-2009, 05:28 PM
For the exercise I tried to put on a PFD1 in the deep end of a pool some time back - NOT as easy as you would think!
Made me re-think the wearing of jackets.

levinge
05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Scalem,

I only carry the zip up vest types (PFD1). They have a couple of clip together straps too, but are far easier and quicker to put on than the other over the head types. The way I look at it is that if they are ever needed, I don't want to be stressed out trying to get it on me or anyone else!

Dave.

I'm with you Dave, I carry out a bit of a talk to my crew before most trips. Takes about 30 secs but everyone knows where the following items are stowed

Jackets
Epirb
Fire Extinguisher
First Aid Kit
Flares and V sheet
Water and Vinegar (if they get it mixed up I guess they will work it out pretty quickly, which is which..)

Can never be to careful