PDA

View Full Version : yammie outboard ?

MEGA'bite
03-12-2009, 09:44 PM
can someone tell me if it is ok to put outboard muffs on a 150hp yammie 4 stroke, i have been told that it is not a good idea

Dan5
03-12-2009, 09:58 PM
I have 2 mates with the 150 and have seen both of them use muffs for flushing,i have not seen a problem yet. i always use the round type it seems to get a better seal IMO.

I have the 60hp 4strk yammie and when i flush i use muff's with no issues but i always use the built in flusher aswell without the engine running,if i don't do this saltwater is left inside the built in flushing hose.
I found this out by chance after the first time i used the engine from new.

Dan

White Pointer
03-12-2009, 10:09 PM
G'day,

If you bought a new engine you should have got the muffs as part of the kit. Using them is not just advisable but compulsory to preserve your warranty. A flushing tank is better but impractical for lots because it becomes an immovable object. It can also become a bredding ground for mozzies. The solution to this is to add soluble oil to the water. It's good for the engine and keeps the water free of critters.

Regards,

White Pointer

Vitamin Sea
04-12-2009, 04:33 AM
Can't possibly see why it would be a problem Adrian, no different to any other o'board.

Does it have a screw in or click in hose attachment on the motor? they are better than muffs

cheers

bundylundy
04-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Mate has a 150 Yammie 4\ and he uses a plastic drum and a hose connection to top of motor to flush his.

Jeff.

bennyboy
04-12-2009, 09:51 AM
USE THE COLD FLUSH HOSE ATTACHMENT OR A FLUSH BAG

DO NOT USE MUFFS

The motor uses alot of water and it is very difficult to get enough water and a good seal using muffs, there is also a curve on the gearbox where the intakes are making it very difficult to get a good seal.

If you use muffs and don't get enough water you will not get any warranty on the motor. It is not recomended to use muffs. YAMAHA DO NOT RECOMEND USING MUFFS IN THE OWNERS MANUAL

Yamaha designed the cold flush to get away from using muffs. Yes it's better to run the motor with fresh water but there is more chance of damaging the motor from using muffs than there is a chance of damage from not running the motor.

Go buy yourself a flush bag. It will be the best investment you make for your motor.

Noelm
04-12-2009, 09:59 AM
for bigger HP engines (all makes) you are far better off to make yourself a set of double sided muffs, you need to purchase two sets, take the blank "ear" off one set and put it on the second one, so you now have two hose fittings on the one pair of muffs, go to a hardware store and buy a plastic "Y" piece and make up two short hoses so when it is all connected, you have a hose, going to the Y, then two short hoses going to each side of your flushers, get the idea? now while you only have X amount of water available via your garden hose, the two sided setup seems to provide a much better and constant flow than a single, also make sure your muffs are good quality and can maintain a nice snug fit over the inlets.

Noelm
04-12-2009, 10:00 AM
OH, and the hose fitting flush works fine, but do not run the engine using that method, and do not rev the engine in neutral on any sort of flush attachment.

White Pointer
07-12-2009, 09:35 PM
USE THE COLD FLUSH HOSE ATTACHMENT OR A FLUSH BAG

DO NOT USE MUFFS

The motor uses alot of water and it is very difficult to get enough water and a good seal using muffs, there is also a curve on the gearbox where the intakes are making it very difficult to get a good seal.

If you use muffs and don't get enough water you will not get any warranty on the motor. It is not recomended to use muffs. YAMAHA DO NOT RECOMEND USING MUFFS IN THE OWNERS MANUAL

Yamaha designed the cold flush to get away from using muffs. Yes it's better to run the motor with fresh water but there is more chance of damaging the motor from using muffs than there is a chance of damage from not running the motor.

Go buy yourself a flush bag. It will be the best investment you make for your motor.

G'day,

Thanks for this. It appears that one size does not fit all.

I have a Suzuki 175HP. Suzuki recommends use of muffs with engine running for flushing. This is supposed to open the thermostat and flush the engine. My Suzuki muffs have a crap seal and I'm always nervous using them. I've been told not to worry because if the engine gets to overheat it will shut down. I'm still nervous.

Suzuki also says that if you can't use muffs to insert hoses into the two plugged sockets on the port side of the engine, with engine off - but it will not flush the engine because the thermostat won't open.

The flush tank is the best idea, especially with soluble oil in the water. I've done this for 3-years on my 3.5HP Mercury but haven't on the Suzuki 175HP because I have and uneven block of land and haven't found a decent tank. Any suggestions?

Regards,

White Pointer

bennyboy
08-12-2009, 08:40 AM
White Pointer
Usually the overheat alarm and shut off is a motor sensor, not a water pump impellor sensor, if your motor overheat alarm goes off from not having enough water you have usually already melted your impellor.

FNQCairns
08-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't think muffs can ever be a bad idea, after all it is feeding the engine by the same method as if on the water, unless the engine has some sort of weird 3rd intake or something.

It's just that the operator needs to be aware of the total water volume at the hose and of coarse that the muffs do not fall off as it might stuff the impeller before the overheat alarm especially so if the accident happens early on in the flush.

cheers fnq

Crunchy
08-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Any recomendations for the soluable oil to add to flush bag?

Any_Weather
08-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Gday Flattyfinder, mate I have a 150hp Yammie 4 stroke that I have have since new and now have 400 hours on it and have only ever flushed it with muffs. I have done as Noelm has said and made a set of muffs with water fed from both sides. My standard water pressure is more than enough. I also dont have any issues with the muffs sealing on the leg????

Lee

honda900
08-12-2009, 04:39 PM
BLA make dual sided flush attachment,

http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=productView&id=12353&eId=10&sId=ca37be8769fe2f563ab8692393f70f57

Regards
HOnda

White Pointer
09-12-2009, 10:33 PM
White Pointer
Usually the overheat alarm and shut off is a motor sensor, not a water pump impellor sensor, if your motor overheat alarm goes off from not having enough water you have usually already melted your impellor.

G'day,

Thanks for that. The fact is, I have enough water pressure to blow the muffs off the leg and that may be part of the sealing problem. I get a good tell tale flow which suggests everything is OK.

I just hate muffs, I guess, but I'll use them because thay are the next best thing.

Regards,

White Pointer

White Pointer
09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Any recomendations for the soluable oil to add to flush bag?

G'day,

I bought a small bottle of fairly expensive soluble oil called MACS from Cunninghams Marine 2-years ago. It was $20+ and at the time I thought #^%#.

I reckon I'll have to buy some more in about seven years.

Regards,

White Pointer