PDA

View Full Version : merc tohotsu

gr hilly
02-12-2009, 09:22 PM
i have a new 30 hp merc i have been told it is a tohotsu could someone please tell me if this is a fact and if so are they any good it goes fine only done 20 hrs i would like to some info so i can decide what to do im used to yamaha but i had no choise on the deal
tight lines hilly

Steeler
02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi gr hilly

Don't stress,great donks very very reliable with proper care and maintenance.

Cheers

Steve

gr hilly
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
thanks steeler good start ive just opened it up before its first service i must say it does go well and starts to easy thanks for your reply
glynn tight lines

krazyfisher
03-12-2009, 05:40 AM
great motor you will be happy

Noelm
03-12-2009, 08:03 AM
regardless of who actually built your motor, it has Merc paint and stickers, so therefore it is a Merc, plenty of motors are built by other makers, Merc and Tohatsu, BRP and Suzuki, Mariner and Yamaha, Merc and Mariner are the same and Evinrude and Johnson are the same thing. all sorts have been "in bed" with each other at some time or another

The_Tub
03-12-2009, 04:31 PM
gday mate

i've had both makes and was very happy with both :)

Dave71
03-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Do a search on boatpoint,s reviews.It explains who builds what outboards for which brand. I had a 40 HP Tohy on my last boat, would be happy to own another
Dave

joey_1987
04-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Hey, as far as motors go, Tohatsu make a few engines for Mercury/Mariner with the only difference being the paint job.
2 strokes: 15hp merc super, 25hp merc seapro, 30hp LW, 40hp lightning XR are made by tohatsu.
4 strokes: 8hp and 9hp both LW models, 25/30hp EFI merc.
Tohatsu are made in Japan and have a background of making commercial motors for Japanese fishermen, the motor you have (and I have, bought 4 years ago new) is the same one you'll see on most surf rescue inflatable rescue boats, they cop a lot of punishment and rarely do they complain. I can't fault mine-runs sweetly, uses hardly any fuel, would by another one for sure. Stick to good oils though (preferably Quicksilver Premium Plus) and enjoy.
Cheers.