PDA

View Full Version : Removing stickers

Member101
02-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows an easy way i can get stickers off the side of my tinny?

Cheers
Steve

Chimo
02-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey Steve

Have you tried freezing them off? Same as when you put an item in the freezer and the glue lets go.

Dont go looking for a big cold room, apply ice to the sticker and the inside of the tinny at the same time.

Cheers
Chimo

bigjimg
02-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Razor blade type scraper,you can get them at the hardware and a heat gun to soften up the adhesive if they are old.Just be carefull not to apply too much heat.Should be a walk in the park.If there is some residue of adhesive left over rub off with some desolve-it on a rag.Jim

dreemon
02-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Or you can go opposite and heat them off with a hair drier, then turps to get the glue off, Cheers

BREAMBOSS01
02-12-2009, 06:40 PM
i took a few stickers off my paddock basher (4runner) the other day with a pressure cleaner with turbo nozzle, (it also took some of the pin striping off too) just get a corner lifted and it should peel off with the pressure..

TheRealAndy
02-12-2009, 06:44 PM
bigjimg has the right method. When using a scraper, the best ones are the ones that use a razor blade (real thin and flexible). Dont bother with the ones that use a stanley knife blade, they leave behind to much adhesive.

datamile
02-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Ok to add to debate. The colour on my rego stickers has separated off, and I have been painting over them but that slowly fakes off too.

So I want to get the original rego stickers off to replace them, but they are stuck over the stacer art stickers. Any idea how to get them apart without losing the stacer stickers ? I'll put the new rego ones somewhere else.

Wahoo
02-12-2009, 07:11 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=66197&highlight=how+to+remove+stickers

might be of some use

Ausfish
02-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Best thing is to heat with a hair dryer or heat gun and peel off. Scrapers are fine if it is on glass but you will most likely damage the surface on any other surface.

geoffmck
02-12-2009, 07:51 PM
I just took off the left over stick on bit of a rego info bag (like the bag stuck on parcel with a delivery slip in it) off my new tinnie. I used the fingernails of a six year old girl (at her suggestion of course).
There was a bit of left over glue that was easily removed with turps.

oldboot
02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
I got a agree that heat is your friend...I just took 3 red stripes 3 inches wide off the fibreglass canopy on my ute.......tried a number of methods at the start.....the right amount of heat...picky picky withe the fingernails to get a start and then as steady a peel as you can manage......getting impatient definitely does not help...hurrying wont help.

softly softly catches the monkey.

cheers

mookyandlumpy
03-12-2009, 07:03 PM
get a decal removal wheel we use these on cars at work all the time .
you can get them from any auto paint supply store ..

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/mookyandlumpy/CARS/MMM7498tmb.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7z48MmMhQ8

PinHead
03-12-2009, 08:08 PM
easy way..hair drier first then remove the remains using eucalyptus oil.

Mad-One
04-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Go the hairdryer. I removed all the decals from 2 fastway delivery vans this way and was so easy. Use a razor blade to lift the corner and heat up then slowly pull them off. Don't use a blade to scrape them off you wil damage your paintwork

Cheers Phil

baitwaster
04-12-2009, 11:07 AM
I am a signwriter, and I make an apprentice do it. Very easy. LOL.

Heat gun and turps is the go. Those removal wheels also work well too, but don't get them spinning too quickly, or they will heat up and damage paintwork. ( Use a drill, not a die - grinder )