PDA

View Full Version : Inshore reefs off sunny coast

Joshaldo44
02-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Hey guys I have a 4m seacraft tinnie with a 30hp Tohatsu on the back, only a year old. Was wondering if that setup would be capable of getting to any of the close reefs off Mooloolaba or Caloundra? Don't own an Epirb yet so can't travel too far. Just looking to catch some bigger fish. Was thinking of the Cartwright reef off Mooloolaba or the Inner Gneerings.

mirage
02-12-2009, 08:06 AM
I think the Inner Gneerings are a little more than 2Nm's out so you'd need an EPIRB there. IMO, certainly in a boat that size, I wouldn't go out of the harbour without an EPIRB and the weather would need to be 5 - 10 Kts.

Jeremy
02-12-2009, 12:35 PM
get yourself an EPIRB, your boat is big enough to get out to the close reefs if you have the experience to handle offshore conditions in it. Even without an EPIRB, Old Woman Island is within reach for you, I think raper shoal, definitely Bray Rock. Clue for fishing the close reefs is to be there BEFORE first light, anchor and burley hard. Plenty of small tuna around in close also to chase after the sun is up. Typical summar forecast of 10-15 knots SE-NE, get out early and come back in early before the seabreeze kicks in and you will be fine.

Jeremy

Joshaldo44
02-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys gives me a bit more info. Will definately look into getting an EPIRB. Does the Cartwright Reef right next to Mooloolaba fish very well? Was going to give that a go first to build some confidence in calm conditions

White Pointer
02-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys gives me a bit more info. Will definately look into getting an EPIRB. Does the Cartwright Reef right next to Mooloolaba fish very well? Was going to give that a go first to build some confidence in calm conditions

G'day,

You say you are building confidence so I guess you're a novice. Don't learn by trial and error. The errors can be very costly.

If you are going offshore don't look into getting an EPIRB. It's mandatory so you have to do it. Also get a VHF radio and an operators certificate for it and make sure all your safety gear is up to scratch and you know how to use it.

Join a local boat club, the Coastguard or VMR and meet some people doing what you want to do and learn from them. If they really like you they might give you some good fishing marks.

Welcome to the club and be safe.

Regards,

White Pointer

the baker
03-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Mate get the Epirb best to have it anyway, I go out to the 18 mile in my 4.M Dory. and you will want to be able to get out to the blinker, and also down to the Currimundi spots as well. There are some good fish there and we are into the Mac season now so get into em.

if you want any help PM me.

Dave.

Joshaldo44
03-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate the help.

the baker
04-12-2009, 12:09 AM
sent you a pm Josh.