PDA

View Full Version : Which to buy HUMMINBIRD 788ci or Northstar Explorer 650

melony
01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Guys

I have an issue which of these two units would you buy HUMMINBIRD 788ci or Northstar Explorer 650,

It is to go onto a Stacer 420 Proline angler, and will only be used around the clarence river from yamba to grafton no offshore use at all

i would like any info be it good bad or ugly

any info from people with either units would be even better as you have first hand useage info on the units again anything be it good bad or ugly i will be more then happy to take it all on board

price point i can get the humminbird for $579 & the Northstar for $649

if any one has any other ideas on a combo unit for the same bucks let me know as well

Any info would be awesome

Thanks Tony (melony)

Malcolm W
02-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi Tony, I have the northstar 660, big brother to the 650 except screen size and higher pixels. Cant fault the Gps for ease of use and the sounder does a good job as well.
Just having a look at the specs the 650 is 600 watts and the 788ci is 500 watts, to me not an issue as you wont be going offshore. Both are the same screen size.
The hummingbird has much higher pixels making it easier to read. The combos in this size need all of the advantages they can get as the 5 inch screen split can be hard to read.
Either one would do the job you want well, but based on price and pixels I would consider the 788ci.
Cheers mal.

STUIE63
02-12-2009, 08:44 AM
I would go the bird only because the northstar is going out of production
Stuie