PDA

View Full Version : dive boats

red rock cod
30-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Has anyone had trouble with dive boats anchoring up beside them and then having the divers swim under your boat. Surley when they see you anchored up they could dive elsewhere.

wags on the water
30-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Have a read through this thread.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=156561

Noelm
01-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Even though I do a lot of diving, from a boat and the shore, I reckon (hard hat on, steel cap boots on, flack jacket zipped up) divers are the rudest bunch around, leaving even jetskiers for dead when it comes to arrogance and thinking they own the water, there is a couple in my area that have a permanent anchor with a bouy on it, and god help anyone who gets anywhere near it, now being a diver I know that they do not scare everything within a 200metre radius, but they are very rude when it comes to where they want to dive, regardless of who is already there.

finding_time
01-12-2009, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't worry to much, usually they come to dive a certain location, the dive is sold to the punters as a "dive at spot x" so divers pay to go to that location! The dive sites are generally small so if your anchored on that spot there going to anchor close by because most average divers would get lost trying to swim in from to far away!The best way to avoid the issue is dont fish at known dive locations, there are probably only 15 or so at the nth end of Moreton island so just stay away from them , for example if you decide to fish the St Paul on saturday morning and it's great wheather dont be suprised at 8.am when a dive boat turns up, they always do!;) I feel for the charter operaters that have divers onboard, there under pressure from the punters that pay for the charter and if one of those idiots get themselves in trouble it's going to be the skipper that cops it from W.P.H.S. Yes they could dive somewhere first then come back to that spot second but then they might have to do a reverse profile dive ( second dive deeper than the first) and for some reason the industry still feel these are dangerous so does WPHS::) ::) ::) .

The good news is that most divers are only down 45 min or less so if your patient it will all be over soon, i know it's a pain if it's over the change in tides ! I personally would just move and come back later, your not going to win the argument and they will spoil the fishing. I'm not saying what they do is all right but just letting you no why they do it and why they will continue!!

Ian

Ps. By all means burley the water up like crazy when the divers are in they will love you for it, i spent my first 50 dives trying to see sharks and have spent thousands over the years chasing them so the comments you get on these threads about tuna oil are really really silly, divers like to see sharks period!

Cheech
01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
A very good perspective of the situation. Thanks. I think we could all benefit and better get along with this info.

Scott nthQld
01-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Nah its bullshit. Really what these dive boats are doing is putting YOUR safety at risk.

Legislation dictates that you are not permitted within 30m of an erected dive flag.

The suggestion that when the rock up and jump in the water would force you to do something illegal why? for the reason above, you are not allowed to be underway within 30m of the divers.

How are they putting your safety at risk??

Well becasue you are bound by law, not to be underway when they start diving underneath or around you, if the wind picks up and begins to make things unsafe to be out there in your vessel, you cannot move thanks to the arrogance of the divers.

Report the dive boat to MSQ, quoting there own regulations when it comes to divers, if you were there first you have the right to demand they leave, they wanted the green zones, tell them to go and dive those, its not as if they don't have anything to dive in inside the boundaries.

i really don't care if the charters have got paying customers aboard, as far as the regs go, what they are doing is illegal and I really hope one of them gets and example made of them one day.

finding_time
01-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Hey Scott

How many times in your life have you seen a dive boat rock up and the divers immediately jump into the water??? Mate the boat turns up hunts around for the spot on the sounder,then it anchors, then the divers get a dive brief, then they gear up, etc there is always a fair period between when they show up and when divers are in the water. Mate and there not forcing you to leave you can stay there and watch them dive if you like! Thanks for another well thought out post!

I just dont understand why some poeple insist on fishing at regular dive sites, Scott i know your not allowed but would you fish at the cod hole?? 6 to 10 dive boats turn up there every day, it's just not worth it! And if you did fish there would you get annoyed that dive boats kept turning up? I'm not saying that there right morally i can just see why they do it and as Cheech said if can understand there issues you might be more patient,

ian

brisbane_boy
01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
The only shark divers dont like to see is the Great white, trust me if the call goes out on the radio of a big whitey nudging the berley pot 500m away from a said location they will be berleying there undies.

Scott nthQld
04-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Ian, I am growing tired of your complete arrogance in anything you voice your opinion. It's a common courtesy, if theres another boat already there, then move on.

You seem to be the type of person who has the attitude "well I make money from this, therefore I have more right to do it than anyone else". Sorry....wait strike that, you don't deserve an apology in any way shape or form, when it comes to marine activities, it is not for the charter operator, commercial fisherman who gets first preference as fishing/diving a spot, its who ever is there first. Would you move if you had been on anchor for 30minutes and catching fish? would to move just to let someone else have a go, whether they be a rec, charter or pro fisho? Then why should you move for the divers?

Don't forget it was also the diving fraternity that were all for the Green zones, they got them, so why aren't they using them? Afterall, diving is one of the few activities still allowed inside the boundaries.

As I said before their issues AREN'T MY PROBLEM, if people have paid them to dive a specific spot, then thats the operator's problem if it is already occupied, I'm all for someone making a buck, but they won't be doing it at my expense.

As for wasting your breath.....well, save it, you might need it on your next trip underwater.

We have had our differences before, but you have insulted me for the last time you bigot, welcome to my ignore list

PBass
04-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Hey Scott, I don't really put much input into this site as I don't want to get involved.. Have been a member for the last few years.. Just wanted to say good on you mate your last post was well written and I totaaly agree!! Next time your looking for a deckie give me a buzz always keen to wet a line.. P.S Nothing against you Ian everyone will always have differences that's what makes us human... Cheers Sean

finding_time
04-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Scott

I never said you should move and i didn't say i agreed with them moving right in and anchoring beside a person fishing on a certain location. All i was trying to do was point out why they do it, i have been on many dive boats and seen this many times and it's always the same out come, i was just rying to shed some light on the reason for those that maybe weren't aware of why it happens !! I was never excusing there behavior and never would! I did point out that i would move , because otherwise i can get all fired up and and hurl abuse and phone the water police but where will that get me????????? No where !!! It will just get me cranky because there not breaking any laws, yes there being rude but there's no law against that. And as for that complete BS you wrote that by anchoring to close there forcing you to break the law??? What the!!???? That was the biggest load of dribble i've ever read on this forum and considering some of your previous post that's saying something! You should carefully read other post before you interpret them the wrong way in future because you got this one wrong AGAIN!!!!

Ian

finding_time
04-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I keep rereading it Scotty and it's still stupid Mate!;) ;) ;)

Nah its bullshit. Really what these dive boats are doing is putting YOUR safety at risk.

Legislation dictates that you are not permitted within 30m of an erected dive flag.

The suggestion that when the rock up and jump in the water would force you to do something illegal why? for the reason above, you are not allowed to be underway within 30m of the divers.

How are they putting your safety at risk??

Well becasue you are bound by law, not to be underway when they start diving underneath or around you, if the wind picks up and begins to make things unsafe to be out there in your vessel, you cannot move thanks to the arrogance of the divers.

Report the dive boat to MSQ, quoting there own regulations when it comes to divers, if you were there first you have the right to demand they leave, they wanted the green zones, tell them to go and dive those, its not as if they don't have anything to dive in inside the boundaries.

iy.

Pbass

Sean

No worries mate i have no issues with differant opinions at all !;)

ian