PDA

View Full Version : camping at somerset dam

rosco1974
30-11-2009, 06:57 PM
g'day all
going to take my young fella up there on the 1st weekend of the school holiday for a long weekend going to take my boat as well,whats the best caravan park to go to,dont really want to drive a mile to put the boat in,any1 suggest a goo spot
cheers rosco
p.s want to get into a few redclaw;D

Argle
03-12-2009, 04:18 PM
G'day Rosco, we camp at the Kirkleigh Park at the top end of the dam (Kilcoy end) Its right on the water so its not far to get the boat in the water. There is plenty of space and you can have a fire in the fire buckets provided, you either need to bring your own wood or you can buy it at the kiosk. Speaking of the kiosk its good for an ice cream or lollies or soft drinks too. The park has good facilities as far as clean toilets and hot showers go.
If you get on the website www.lakesomerset.com.au (http://www.lakesomerset.com.au) you can pre-book a spot and they will give you a pin number to get you through the boom gates without having to line up for ages.
It can get pretty busy at this time of year but there always seems to be plenty of space when we go up.
Good luck with the Redclaw too mate, ive attached a pic of our camp at the dam

Cheers
Scott

rosco1974
03-12-2009, 06:39 PM
cheers for that scott,this is the park i was thinking of going too,looks like a well set up camp there mate,dont think mine would be like that just for a few days though,will be just throwing my tent up and a tarp it
cheers rosco

shrunken pojie
03-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Rosco,

Check out http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=148911&highlight=somerset+sessions

A few of us went out to Kirkleigh earlier this year. Was a great place!

Phill

Seahorse
03-12-2009, 08:41 PM
can you have a genie there

falconsforge
03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Kirkleigh is def the go. Good facilities, good ramps, very clean and you can have a fire. Weekdays are best as the weekends get busy with the jetskis and wake boarders. Redclaw are in good supply, mixed baits rockmelon, orange, par boiled spud & dog bone biscits all work and combos are best. Best results overnight soak but make sure your up earlier than the sharefarmers.

bam424
04-12-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't think they worry to much about a quiet gennie and take short steel pegs rosco the ground is like concrete. Plastic ones will break.

legsy11
05-12-2009, 07:39 PM
pre drill pilot hole.
hes not joking,parts of that park are as hard as concrete.
try around 6 m deep mate for a good feed.