PDA

View Full Version : trolling setup help

FNQCairns
30-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi all i have a wide body tinny, 2.4m, yesterday i found myself in the situation where I would have trolled at least half the day away fuel depending but with the option of only 1 line each because I only have 2 rod holders to do the job, the rear ward most two that point the rods directly out to the side ...anyway I would like a few more and was wondering what is the minimum rod tip to rod tip distance I can get away with?? and keep it all manageable.

I plan to run all the different depths and lengths of line etc to keep it all control-able but I am not sure just how close is too close.

Ideally I would like to run deep, middle and surface lures/baits.

Will not be fitting outriggers.

thanks fnq

STUIE63
30-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Fnq I have rod holders in the side of my console so this sort of uses the rods ( the rods are about 30 degrees from flat ) as outriggers and I can run four rods in my c/c this way with different depths and lengths
Stuie

Noelm
30-11-2009, 02:07 PM
don't forget one right in the centre at the stern! not only lure spread, but lengths of line can make a difference to tangling (or lack of) it is a bit of an art to get a good spread that allows for turns and so on with major drama.

FNQCairns
30-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Do you blokes think that if i had 3.5m outer rod tip to outer rod tip that I could run 5 without drama?

cheers fnq

Dan5
30-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Hey Scott you know my tinny and i run 4 lines for macks etc no worries,the back 2 have divers......1 of 7mtr crazy deep stb side port side another diver say a 3-5 mtr scorpion then the front 2 will either be skipping gar or 1mtr scorpions or similar,

I always run deep's from the back cos it seems if you get a good hit down deep the rod if sitting in the front holder will smack down either into my head or the rods in the back holders.

Tip to tip in the back holders would be lucky to be 1.6-1.8 mtrs and the front around 2.2-2.4 ish.

I don't usually have any line tangle dramas.....but you must always make sure that those lures are swimming strait.......always check new lures and adjust them accordingly.

Now if ya put outriggers on ya could be running 6 lines;) .

Dan

STUIE63
30-11-2009, 03:34 PM
yeah Scott I can run that if I want the secret is to vary the depth and length
Stuie

krazyfisher
30-11-2009, 05:25 PM
I would go 4 rather than 5 not as busy... I used rod riggers that have the rods at 90deg to the boat giving the widest spread about 6-10 ft from the back of the boat and the reatr corners pointing straight back

FNQCairns
30-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Ok thanks all I will go with spacings for 5 but leave the middle one out until i finally fit a bait board or a rocket launcher out of the engine well.

Hate the thought of drilling a great big hole in the boat only to have it unutilised or worse!

thanks fnq

Wahoo
30-11-2009, 05:45 PM
G'day Scott, how did you go on the weekend??

Daz

krazyfisher
30-11-2009, 05:58 PM
i found these of interest
http://www.flybridge.com.au/flatlineboom.html

and these are the rod riggers
http://www.flybridge.com.au/rod_holders.html

i used them for maybe 3 trips then sold the boat.

FNQCairns
30-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Daz had good fun a few fish came over the side, wanted to troll more as the area was quite fishy in that regard, lots of terrain at just the right depth with a fair few bait balls, wind came up double what sea breeze predicted so a lumpy and slow trip back, good day all up will visit again hopefully with a decent spread behind me.

cheers fnq

Jarrah Jack
30-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Don't forget the rubberband trick for controlling the position of the line. Works for rods in the rear holders and can allow some drop back for swiming baits.

Cheers

the baker
30-11-2009, 10:19 PM
you need some of these Riggers

smashed crabs
01-12-2009, 06:19 PM
FNQ , you can run 3 lines , i use one at 40m ( main line ), another at 25m( work line)and a paravian down the middle which goes down about 15m.
All my lines are within a 2.4m area and my paravain sits along the same line as my work line, as long as the lines are different lenghts it isnt a problem.just remeber to watch you turns , the long line will always pass over your work line dont worry about the paravain it's down deep.
Never have your lines all at the same lenght to avoid the tangles,have a play around with it you will be surprised at what you can do.
also if you find you are not getting any fish go into slow turns, this will drop the lines down deeper, i do this to pull mackys of the bottom.
you can also do this with coral trout, if i cant get the macks i troll for trout around bomies.I also never stop when i get a fish on the line, just keep trolling

the baker
02-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Don't forget the rubberband trick for controlling the position of the line. Works for rods in the rear holders and can allow some drop back for swiming baits.

Cheers

Be careful with this if you are running 15kg or less, make sure the band is on a release clip or it can break the line. Other than that it is a very good way to control your lines, you can get alot more action out of your swim baits with this.

Any lure or bait that swims get that tow point as low as you can the more consistent action you you will get out of it.

Dave