PDA

View Full Version : gear box troubles

Aunty Jack
29-11-2009, 06:57 PM
H
I have a marrier 60 hp,[1991 ?] I got a spare box as mine has a crake in it .
I went to change it over.
But upon testing found it only had forward and nuetral no reverse.
Can I pull it apart and are they sevicable.

Steeler
29-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Is it making a rattly or grinding type sound when trying to put into reverse ?.

It's not uncommon for the selector shaft to knocked out of place when either removing or replacing gearboxes.

Cheers

Steve

Aunty Jack
29-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Is it making a rattly or grinding type sound when trying to put into reverse ?.

It's not uncommon for the selector shaft to knocked out of place when either removing or replacing gearboxes.

Cheers

Steve

I didn't get that far.
I placed the leg in the vice ,
turned prop clockwise = ferm on sharft
kept on turning prop till hit nuetral
then got nothing.

Steeler
29-11-2009, 08:27 PM
If it is the shift shaft out of alignment you might have to keep turning the shift shaft till it locates itself in the correct position. you will know when it locates correctly because you will have all gears again.

I think from memory if its located correctly it should with one click anti clockwise be in reverse then back in a clockwise direction one click will be neutral and another click foward.

It's a pain in the ass job that requires plenty of patience or you could always drop the box into your nearest dealer and tell them you suspect the shift shaft has been bumped out of position,they would probably relocate it in a jiffy.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Steve

Steeler
29-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Swampman62

The shift shaft is not the drive shaft but the small splined shaft at the very front of the gearbox that sticks up about an inch or so.

Cheers

Steve

Aunty Jack
29-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes the gear selector is at the front of the box.
When turning the prop I get a click click sound [sound good and defanant].
I think ill get it looked at tomorrow, as you said they would be able to tell me one way or the other. THANKS FOR THE INPUT

oldboot
29-11-2009, 09:10 PM
swampman......have you baught the manual...the genuine one specific to the motor is best but even a generid one will deal with this sort of stuff.

that whole bottom leg should come apart and all the bits should be available.

cheers

Steeler
29-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Keep us informed and good luck with it.

Regards

Steve

Noelm
30-11-2009, 01:50 PM
if both gearboxes are the same, then you will be able to make one good one from the two (maybe) not all that difficult, as long as all the bolts come out without breaking.