PDA

View Full Version : trailerable fishing base

smashed crabs
29-11-2009, 11:24 AM
gday all
im having a boat built so i can stay out on the water with a little bit of comfort. this boat will be a base to come back to while i scream around in the tinny. i have looked at a lot of other boats available and they are through the roof cost wise, too heavy and way too fancy to cover in fish guts, can i get some input from yourselves over how i should fit her out as a dedicated fisho boat to camp on.i was going to just hire out a house boat but they are just to much to hire and too much fancy crap.
also does anyone know much about boat shares? if i can i was also thinking about selling of a couple of shares for me boat because i can't see the point in having her sit while im away working. im having her built for use in the hinchinbrooke channel, she can boldly go where no boat has gone before , well sorta ! lol

Wahoo
29-11-2009, 02:32 PM
who is building the boat?

tigermullet
29-11-2009, 04:56 PM
That's a very good idea. About twelve years ago I almost bought a small houseboat which was built on a similar hull. Great concept because it could sit down anywhere. Galvanic corrosion caused the abandonment of purchase - an inspection revealed pitting and pin holes all over the hull. The problem was tracked to faulty battery placements, electric cables drooping in the bilges and too few sacrificial anodes. The anodes were also badly placed and gave nothing by way of protection.

The idea of a partnership is workable if you find the right partner who pays his way and leaves the boat tidy and clean. A family member is my partner in our boat and it works very well but with both have the same standards.

I'd recommend a smallish cabin - just enough for a helm position, small galley with room for a fridge, a couple of bunks and lots of windows with blinds or curtains. Deck space is important for fishing but not covered for it's entire length to make casting easier.

How long is she?

smashed crabs
29-11-2009, 08:57 PM
to the first relpy i wont say just yet who is building her, just because as some stage im might start dealing this type of boat if i can. i have been looking into similar types of boats and was shocked at the price just because its a boat it seems to demand a high price , i think this is why we have dreamers , im a dreamer and have always wanted this type of boat but the price has always stopped me, not now , if i get my way i intend to offer somthing to suit everyone and the Dreamers , also its hard to get into the boating if you have kids, the hefty price taggs on boats makes it hard for familys , i realy want to change this and i will because greed is not my motion.

tigermullet thanks mate thats very handy to know,i will make sure i have enough places on her to put the mother of all blocks. lenght overall is 7.6m x 2.4m. there will be a small deck on the front and at least 2meters of open back and im hearing you on the windows. cab is going to run the rest except for say 1.5m to 2m at the back. i have seen a few other boats similar but they are to boxed in , i want to avoid that and keep in with the norths weather allowing for a roomy internal area and greater internal air flow .
im seriously concidering the share options but the missus is not to keen on the idea and that is purley because of the wreckers. i looked at hire boats and have seen em drive em like they stole em , so hire when im not using her is out of the question. most people tend to look after thing much better if they own it, in a ideal world anyway lol
getting back to the fit out i thought about chuking in a couple of them fold out couchy things , i want to be able to chuck out the gear after i have used her for a week and drag in the pressure washer. she's got to be practical and built tough.

what do you think about paint? personly im againts it on ally

cheers

smashed crabs
29-11-2009, 08:58 PM
to the first relpy i wont say just yet who is building her, just because as some stage im might start dealing this type of boat if i can. i have been looking into similar types of boats and was shocked at the price just because its a boat it seems to demand a high price , i think this is why we have dreamers , im a dreamer and have always wanted this type of boat but the price has always stopped me, not now , if i get my way i intend to offer somthing to suit everyone and the Dreamers , also its hard to get into the boating if you have kids, the hefty price taggs on boats makes it hard for familys , i realy want to change this and i will because greed is not my motion.

tigermullet thanks mate thats very handy to know,i will make sure i have enough places on her to put the mother of all blocks. lenght overall is 7.6m x 2.4m. there will be a small deck on the front and at least 2meters of open back and im hearing you on the windows. cab is going to run the rest except for say 1.5m to 2m at the back. i have seen a few other boats similar but they are to boxed in , i want to avoid that and keep in with the norths weather allowing for a roomy internal area and greater internal air flow .
im seriously concidering the share options but the missus is not to keen on the idea and that is purley because of the wreckers. i looked at hire boats and have seen em drive em like they stole em , so hire when im not using her is out of the question. most people tend to look after thing much better if they own it, in a ideal world anyway lol
getting back to the fit out i thought about chuking in a couple of them fold out couchy things , i want to be able to chuck out the gear after i have used her for a week and drag in the pressure washer. she's got to be practical and built tough.

what do you think about paint? personly im againts it on ally

cheers

Wahoo
30-11-2009, 02:32 AM
if ya have any alloy planks left over i use them for my scaffolding ;D ;D ;D ;D

tigermullet
30-11-2009, 04:43 AM
I like the idea of a 1.5m to 2m aft deck - exactly what I would be aiming for. In practice, the fishing area gets messy but most of the mess remains there. We had similar ideas of cleaning but the aft deck is so successful we ended up with a carpeted interior. After that we added two bunks - rather than stay with the fold up bunks. Cleaning of the aft deck became very easy with the addition of a wash down pump - now it can be simply hosed off each day. Our deck is above the water so that idea might not work for you.

Re painting: I am dead against painting of the hull or the sections of hull in contact with the water. Paint does offer protection from galvanic corrosion but one pinhole in the painted area can act like a sacrificial anode and be attacked. We decided against painting for that reason - the initial paint scheme makes things look pretty but from then on it is necessary to keep the scheme in good shape. And who wants a hull that cannot take a bump, ding or scratch? Far better to use the US military specs for sacrificial anodes. From memory we used one square inch of anode per 220 square inches of unpainted hull area. If you are unsure of the placement then get in touch with one of the manufacturers - Cheras Industries at Eagle Farm would be able to tell you in an instant.

Generally, the rule for a mono hull is for the main group of anodes be placed at 30% of the water line distance from the aft; for multihulls the groups are split equally between 20% of the water line distance from the aft and 53% of the distance for the second group. That's all thats really needed. We ended up placing a few more - some on the stern and another group 20% of the distance from the bow. Those extra few hardly work - the main group take all of the wear. I have heard that too many anodes can be detrimental but it hasn't proved so with ours. Not that we went entirely mad - just a 37.5% increase over the specs. After 11 years of being on the water (it's not trailerable) there is not a sign of corrosion.

We also looked at hiring but only for a few minutes - too many things could go wrong and people, as you say, do not look after a boat if hired. To be legal it must also be built to and kept in survey. Too much trouble even though ours required very little more to be done to bring it up to survey standard.

We did paint the cabin area. After eleven years of use it needs painting again - a job commencing today. It's booked in at a Marina so I'll be working hard over the next couple of days.

The little houseboat I referred to earlier was built on a similar hull which was manufactured just over the border in New South Wales. The hull lent itself to all sorts of configurations and use and was exported to islands in the pacific as work boats or barge platforms. It seems that you will have a range of options for fitting out. The manufacturer (over the border) made only one or two as small houseboats which were beautifully fitted out but improper placement of batteries, inadequate anode protection and cost of the fit out saw the idea fail.

Good luck with your project.

FNQCairns
30-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Sc do you know the estimated weight of the boat? and one engine or a couple of little ones?

It's an interesting idea I especially like the plank construction... double skin!!:)

cheers fnq

smashed crabs
30-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Wahoo i dont think their would be any planks left by the time she's done.lol

Tiger mullet , i intend to seperate the open back deck to the cab with a divider of sorts. the back deck area to be slightly raised with a ever so gentle slope leading towards the bum and into a little well.Back deck will only have to be raised to about 15cm and the divider to the cab will be around 25cm , this way i can make all the mess i want on the back deck without having to worry about the smelly stuff entering the living area. If any water does enter the cab area i only have to pull the bungs on the divider and drain her to the to the back under steam. The company over the boarder you mention would be Yamba Welding? , they make a nice boat but it just was not for me. As for the paint yeh bugger it, i had a boat with paint and you really are limmited to what you can do, i want to get this one into some tight spots and to do this she has to bump the wood.So a flogging she must handle, paint just don't cut it.

FNQ , i hope her to be under 2ton loaded with trailer, most i have looked at weigh to much up to 3ton and they not very tow freindly( my opinion ) . Some you need a filth wheel . To get away from everyone elses trailerable houseboat type thingys i decided that one> she is to be a dedicated fishing base and not a houseboat with all the trimmings(sorry to houseboat lovers), two > the outside profile is very important as i don't want to feel like im towing or driving a box. three> weight is very important so she getting a ally trailer and not a steel one.four> she has to handle 15knts of weather, just in case i get caught out around the Islands.five> built tough for bugger all bucks, im sick and tired of paying through the nose for something that floats.

i bought an allison 195 a few years ago and i paid a decent price, i spent many days cleaning her and polishing everthing shiny, a year later i had to get rid of her purely because she demanded to much of my atten and the wife got pissed off.So on the market she went( the allison not the wife )she sold nearly over night. which i wasn't surprised she was an amazing rig with all the trimmings. Two weeks after we seperated ( agin the allison ) i spotted a new one at the local boat shop , so i went in and priced it , well i nearly fell over backwards the price went through the roof. no wonder my allison sold overnight ( bastards) . What enoys me the most is why did the price sky rocket ? it was still the same boat, there was nothing extra added.
Its a sore point for me , im sick and tired of paying the big bucks. So i say stuff em for not making boating affordable for everyone that cant pay their crap prices , greedy bastards, watch what happens if they can't sell a boat after they have had it for some time, the price falls big time and they still make the money, so wouldnt it be better to sell low and go for high turn over instead? this makes boating affordable for everyone does it not? Can you tell i have been bitten two many times? im an idealist , sorry to rant and rave , enough said and back to your questions,lol

As for an outboard i have not got there yet but im thinking of a single 50hp(twins is possible) if i use her only for the inshore on the other hand she can be powerd to boogie which would be great to hit the reef on the good days, by the way she aint dead flat on the underside, she has v but not much , just enough so she dont slap and carry on, which flat boats do.

cheers all Shadow

tigermullet
30-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Quick answer before I head off to the painting etc., it might have been Yamba but after a dozen years I am not sure.

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this project. You should get away with two tonnes. Ours weighs 2.7 but say 3 tonnes with a bit of extra gear - not really towable at a bit over 9 metres and 3 metres wide.

smashed crabs
30-11-2009, 10:27 AM
tigermullet
Yeah a lot of though mate , two years of looking for the right boat to suit my family needs is not easy if you dont have a fist full.

cheers Shadow

PinHead
30-11-2009, 11:40 AM
do some serious research on the selling of shares..a few years back there were quite a few mobs selling shares and also hours on boats like sports cruisers. MSQ was looking into whether the boats had to be built to survey as they were a commercial venture when they started selling time or part ownership. I am not sure where it all ended up.

smashed crabs
30-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Pinhead
just a thought at this stage , i will look into it further but im slowly starting to think it is not such a good idea, i hate the thought of damage and then there would be the sleepless nights staying up wondering if she's alright!! Na bugger it no shares.
The missus drove me allison 195 i had and ran into a charter boat' no shit!! she ran into a chater boat and she never got to drive her again.lol
Thanks again

STUIE63
30-11-2009, 01:56 PM
She must hate that ad
Where did you get that many scaffolding planks every time I look at a price I cringe and just keep climbing ladders
Stuie

FNQCairns
30-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Just did some sums because I am a big nose and I make the purchase of all scaffold material for the entire shell to be around about or possibly under $5k...that's not bad at all for such a long boat with such a gross internal dimension...anyway what thickness is the aluminium in scafold material.

cheers fnq

smashed crabs
30-11-2009, 07:07 PM
FNQ , 3mm , can you tell me what sort of planks you priced and where you got the price from?

STUIE, im having her custom made, i took a while to find the right company to build her, i dont know where they get the planks.
i did look into it and capral in townsville sell a similar marine grade plank but it lacks the thickness 2.5mm Can you weld?

cheers

FNQCairns
30-11-2009, 07:14 PM
SC here: www.tommytuckertrestles.com.au/TTTCatalog09.pdf

cheers fnq

Dan5
30-11-2009, 07:34 PM
There is a pile driving mob from Queensland called Piling contractors,they had a punt made out of ally scaff planks we were using it for a work boat at Timber creek buildig the Bradshaw bridge,

Bloody tough boat it was about 5.5-6m and had a old 60hp yammy enduro tiller steer on it.We had it loaded up with a lincoln diesel welder,tools,chains bla bla ,
we were bouncing of the pylons with it and running over crap,lifting it in and out of the river with the crane fully loaded (and this was'nt it's first job either) it never even looked like falling apart.

We even caught barra out of it one arvo,i reckon it was a great idea......I don't know how thick the plank's were on it but had certainly stood up to the punishment,
Dan

FNQCairns
30-11-2009, 07:58 PM
There is a pile driving mob from Queensland called Piling contractors,they had a punt made out of ally scaff planks we were using it for a work boat at Timber creek buildig the Bradshaw bridge,

Bloody tough boat it was about 5.5-6m and had a old 60hp yammy enduro tiller steer on it.We had it loaded up with a lincoln diesel welder,tools,chains bla bla ,
we were bouncing of the pylons with it and running over crap,lifting it in and out of the river with the crane fully loaded (and this was'nt it's first job either) it never even looked like falling apart.

We even caught barra out of it one arvo,i reckon it was a great idea......I don't know how thick the plank's were on it but had certainly stood up to the punishment,
Dan

I have seen a few over the years too Dan always scungy looking as if treated like crap, seen some as oyster punts too.. certainly an option for a cheap for size rec boat.

cheers fnq

smashed crabs
30-11-2009, 08:18 PM
DAN , thats the stuff i like to hear, do you know the breed?

I have seen quite a few in Ceduna south aus and they where all Yamba Pro punts, some where as old as coal and still in service

mcchaddy
30-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi,

I saw something very similar to what you are building at a camping/tinny/outdoor show in brisbane just recently. They were big housebouts made out of Ali painters planks. Can't remeber their name but.

I just found this on the net and they do something very similar as well

http://www.excelmarine.net.au/workPunts_DiveBoat.php

Cheers

Michael.

smashed crabs
30-11-2009, 11:50 PM
mcchaddy you have giving me food for thought after checking out that website.

cheers

Dan5
01-12-2009, 12:08 AM
DAN , thats the stuff i like to hear, do you know the breed?

I have seen quite a few in Ceduna south aus and they where all Yamba Pro punts, some where as old as coal and still in service
No mate i don't.....i think that they may have built it themselves.

Mr__Bean
01-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Looks like another example here: http://www.boatlocator.com.au/boats/13044

- Darren

smashed crabs
01-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Mr bean , they have been around for awhile , i was going to buy one cause the missus liked the fancy stuff but because she run into a charter boat i no longer listen to her, the boat im getting built has to be practical for the fisho.Rough and tough and not a million bucks worth.

TO ALL
After much thought and input from you all i have decided to chuck in my Mineral Exploration job and go into boats.
Give us a hand to come up with a business name" Any ideas? , i can just imaging the look on the wifes face as she say " what the hell are you up too now" she is currently sitting in the ute beeping the horn trying yo get me of the computer.
I have to go my master is calling me

Dan5
01-12-2009, 09:48 AM
"WALK THE PLANK'
Paint your house with ease and go fishing.

smashed crabs
01-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Dan
not bad mate, just a little to labour intensive.

Walk The Plank Marine a painters dream , catchy but crap, lol

Next

Mr__Bean
01-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Plankton.

Thunderbox (coz they're built like a brick shithouse) ;D

- Darren

smashed crabs
01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Mr bean

THUNDER BOX MARINE?, THE DOWNUNDER THUNDERBOX FROM THUNDER MARINE?
Thats so Farkin Funny , Im still pissing me self;D

okay hmmm! let me think , it does have a ring to to it! get it ring ! thunderbox;D

SORRY NEXT

PS However i do like the name Thunder marine , So you get one point Mr Bean

smashed crabs
02-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Room to move!

i just told the missus i want be a boat sale's man , well let me tell ya it's cold and windy up here in the north , at my house that is;D