PDA

View Full Version : Winch strap replacement

Mike Delisser
27-11-2009, 02:09 PM
My winch strap snapped yesterday and I'm looking at those woven rope types, anyone have any feed back on them? are they worth the extra coin?
Replacement strap is about $24
3000kg woven rope is $64
Cheers
MD

timddo
27-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Spectra is the only way to go.

madman1
27-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Spectra is the only way to go.

Totally agree. You dont have to worry about keeping it flat like that seatbelt material.

Spend the money and dont look back.

Cheers

Mark

Didley
27-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Bought a second hand boat with it on, 2 years ago, still going strong , no problems.:)

Mudlicker
27-11-2009, 05:05 PM
hey Dude , buy it from MO tackle , only paid $35 for my 3000kg strap.

Adam_G
27-11-2009, 05:07 PM
It would have to be worth a go, the flat winch straps are a pain in the ar#e.

Adam

Blackened
27-11-2009, 05:17 PM
G'day

I paid around $38 for my spectra rope... hate the webbing strap that came with this trailer.

Dave

marty+jojo
27-11-2009, 07:03 PM
I got a spectra rope on mine and i love it. No spikes or flat spots and no rust. Well worth the extra money. PS have a look on the net for a better price.
Marty.

murf
27-11-2009, 08:14 PM
you won't regret it :)

best stuff on the winch

just keep it clean still as salt crystals and sand will wear it, so I am told but haven't seen any probs in the last 5 years

it is becoming a popular choice on winches on 4WD's too these days

cheers Murf

Mike Delisser
28-11-2009, 12:37 AM
hey Dude , buy it from MO tackle , only paid $35 for my 3000kg strap.

Thanks Mudlicker but you're not thinking of the shorter, lighter 1700kg rope are you? it's $38 at Mo's.
My $64 quote is from MO's Tackle, $49 for the 3000+kg rope + $15 postage = $64.
BCF & Whitworths have them for $66 so I'll prob go there.
Cheers

Apollo
28-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Mike

I went into Whitworths and looked at their straps, then had a look at their rope section and found the same rope their at the right length in the offcuts bin at a discount, then grabbed the necessary hook and left paying around $20. Even if I paid full $ for the rope, it would have been cheaper than buying the kit.

Worth a look.

Agree with the others on how good it is. Why the need to go to the 3000kg instead of the 1700kg? Even the lighter one could vertically lift about two of your boats! Hauling a boat up a trailer doesn't transfer anything near the load pressure of a vertical lift (from memory, it is about half on a steep ramp). I did read an article years ago, where they recommend loaded boat weight as a minimum and add 50% for safety. Anyway, just interested.

Steve

Mike Delisser
28-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Mike

Why the need to go to the 3000kg instead of the 1700kg? Even the lighter one could vertically lift about two of your boats! Hauling a boat up a trailer doesn't transfer anything near the load pressure of a vertical lift (from memory, it is about half on a steep ramp). I did read an article years ago, where they recommend loaded boat weight as a minimum and add 50% for safety. Anyway, just interested.

Steve

You're right, but the diff between the 1700kg and the 3400kg is only about $12 but most importantly it's because of the fright I got when the old one snapped, could of been dangerous too. Never want to go there again.
Cheers

trueblue
28-11-2009, 10:28 AM
go the highest breaking strain available. spectra is great, but splices and knots reduce the overall breaking strain.

if you know how to splice a wind on leader, technique is much the same for splicing larger woven spectra - and then you could buy the raw spectra rope from a rope supplier like Emmetts ropes, then splice it yourself.

I personally went for the 4,500 kg waxed spectra, then joined it to the clip with a figure 9 knot (figure 8 with an extra wrap) - good as gold. (Knot reduces the breaking strain by about 40% - weak point is the knot)

but if you are not into knots and splicing (splicing is better but needs to be perfect), go with the ready made heavy duty one commercially available

cheers

Mick

Dan5
28-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Mate i work for a company that supply's and tests this type of fiber.
The one we sell is called supermax it's a polyethylene woven fiber.

The 6mm should be strong enough for your boat i would think,the 6mm has a MBL (minimum break load)of 4200kg we make offshore lifting slings with it and 6mm is given a WLL of about 900kg thats with a saftey factor of 4. Rule of thumb with towing or winching you could drop back to a saftey factor of 2.

It can be hand spliced or ferrule secured we have done both,ferrule secured de-rates it by 5% hand splice by 10%. I have put these ropes into the test bed and they have always broken above their MBL.

Last year we made a towing grommmet for a jack up drilll rig with 96mm dia which had a MBL of 560 tonnes (it was also valued at $330,000 aud (600mtrs long)

Mike Delisser
28-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Last year we made a towing grommmet for a jack up drilll rig with 96mm dia which had a MBL of 560 tonnes (it was also valued at $330,000 aud (600mtrs long)

Holy Sh#t!!!!!!!!!!!!

murf
28-11-2009, 01:01 PM
don't you just put an eye in it like a ski rope? just spread the fibres and poke the end in and slide up a 200mm or more inside the rope and then friction takes over, the harder you pull the harder it grips, takes about 10 seconds to do

what is this splice you talk about?

cheers Murf

trueblue
28-11-2009, 03:25 PM
pretty much, and to improve it do a tuck at the end and then taper the tail and pull it inside again

you just need to know how to do this type of splicing. this kind of splice has the lowest derating factor - knots are terrible for reducing the breaking load, ie, 40 to 50%, where the splices can be 5 to 20% depending on the technique used, and strict compliance to the proper method

whiteman
30-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Spectra is also fun if you are winching in with someone still on board .... when it piles up on one side then "let's go" and flattens across the spool the boat goes back down the trailer a foot or two. Priceless!

Buddy Mania
30-11-2009, 06:35 PM
http://www.keepitsoaring.com/LKSC/Downloads/dyneema%252Fspectra-splicing-manual.pdf