PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer Good & Bad News

baggersace
25-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Played in the Gamagatsu Bream comp on the weekend for a poor show, on the way home I loaded up the boat and headed the short distance from Bribie to Redcliffe only to find when washing the boat I nearly lost the lot on the Bruce Highway on the trip home.
I own a SEALINK trailer and the winch mount came away completely, without the tie down straps ( I always use ) I would have lost the lot on the highway home.:-[

I know a bit about the welding trade and was concerned the area immediately around the weld joint had failed in a very surgical manner. the trailer is 5 years old and always washed after use.

trying to make a story short, I contacted Special Trailers at Brendale ( makers of SEALINK Trailers) and dealt with the main man Tony. The short story is after 15 minutes looking at the problem, I was in possession of a new mount for gratis and had some good trailer maintenance info.:o

I was always impressed by the SEALINK trailers but the support shown was very impressive and I feel I need to share this with all. Some points he advised were,

1. Winch in the boat firm then release the pressure slightly to prevent possible cable failure.
2. Ensure the winch mount post is very firmly locked in. Any movement will allow possible fracture of the mount.
3. Wash your trailer, gal is very good but not perfect.

If you're in the market I can only recommend the great support I had above and beyond the normal by SEALINK.:)

geoffmck
26-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Credit where credit is due, thanks mate.
Makes a pleasant change from the constant bagging of people who do the wrong thing. Cheers and well done SEALINK.

ozscott
26-11-2009, 06:01 AM
Was there insufficient penetration do you think mate? Glad to hear that it didnt all end in disaster.

Cheers

PADDLES
26-11-2009, 07:56 AM
good stuff bagger, sealink seems to be one of those brands that is treated like a bit of a "no name" brand by most people. i had one with my freedom 620 on it and couldn't fault it, it was a great trailer.

Jarrah Jack
26-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks for that. Did your support give way because it was a bit loose? Is there anything we can look for in the support before it gives way. I have a sealink trailer as well and am very happy with it.

Robbo76
26-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Gees, scary stuff!:o I'm glad you didn't lose it. I too always tie mine down. I might go out and run a couple welds along mine, just for safe measure.

baggersace
26-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks fellas, yeah was a close call:-/

The weld has penetration, it was the area immediately beside the weld. We can't be 100% sure but it may have been subject to rain immediately after being welded, as they place the finished items outside for transport to the gal dip. this may have quenched the area when not intended.

I was not aware of my winch mount being loose so I can't say that was a factor either.

That being said I was well looked after.

SEALINK are a small business and only use aussie steel, and quite obviously standby their product.

We need more of that sort of business in the fishing industry;)

oldboot
26-11-2009, 10:31 PM
From what I understand winch post failure is a pretty common thing..............it is also very common to rely heaviliy on the winch rope to hold the trailer on.

Do I see a problem here:-/

cheers

ozscott
27-11-2009, 06:52 AM
My post has a big flat base of 8mm steel plate and its ubolted with hd ubolts that are torqued down onto the thick box goose neck...that tends to make it bloody strong. I have 2 chains and the winch cable attached to the boats ubolt - one chain ties around the winch post base and another ties around (and is welded and bolted into place) around the winch post base and around the goose neck chassis. I also have a very HD strap over the boat and onto the trailer at the sides. Because of the trim tabs and trailer design I do not have the luxury of tie downs from the ski bolts on the transom but I have done the best I can do and I am confident in it.

Cheers

oldboot
27-11-2009, 12:08 PM
At least youve obviously thaught about it and made an effort............soo many people just think she'll be right mate............then they end up with their picture posted on a bulletin board.....like the blokes at Belbowry the other week.

A properly set up an maintained boat trailet the boat should slip off the trailer like snot of a door knob........um....surely this means keeping the thing on requires some effort.

cheers