PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to 2400 KEVLACAT!!! Opinions?

scoota
25-11-2009, 07:34 PM
OK.... There is some fair dinkum sunshine been blowing up where it don't shine about the 5.2 Kevlacats and how there is no better boat for QLD waters etc....

Is the 2400 a step up or not?

Who has a 2400 KC and how good are they?

Have a mate with a 5.2 and is looking at the 2400KC.

Good move or what?

Scoota...

julian1
25-11-2009, 07:55 PM
if towing/fuel is not an issue then yep

finding_time
25-11-2009, 07:58 PM
The 2400 is a differant league to the 5.2 kc, it's big, rides brilliantly and is quiet quick, I would upgrade in a flash, if i had some where to store it, didn't tow the distances that i do and could afford the extra fuel! Your mate will be very very happy! I sure he'll sell the 5.2 quite quickly aswell, did he ever get a handle on driving it or has he just decided bigger will solve the issues! A 2400 will still lean over like the 5.2 if you push it though!

Ian

bdaearth
25-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I have fished out of a 5.2 a bit (Dean1's boat) and it is one of the best setups for a easy and smallish cat and I would love to get one as they tow really well and I like to do long runs up and down the coast. My old man had the 2400 for a bit over a year and it is as said by Ian in a different league just the perfect trailer boat but in saying that I can happily drag the 5.2 with my prado and if I had to tow the 2400 it was the cruiser only!! So if not worried about a bigger fuel bill for boat and tow vehicle (and as long as he has something that can tow it!!) the 2400 is the bee's knee's if you ask me and if he isn't worried about the fuel and its going to be tied to a pontoon and not on a trailer why not get a 3000 ha ha ha where to stop?????

Dean1
25-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Like the old saying goes.... Theres no perfect boat! A 5.2 will go where a 2400 will go which is great but just not as comfy.. Im off the bigger idea, coz man how easy is it gonna be friday arv hookin the 5.2 up and heading for 1770 Brendan!? You need a 2400 at your base and a 5.2 for youre away trips! ;D

legsy11
25-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Like the old saying goes.... Theres no perfect boat! A 5.2 will go where a 2400 will go which is great but just not as comfy.. Im off the bigger idea, coz man how easy is it gonna be friday arv hookin the 5.2 up and heading for 1770 Brendan!? You need a 2400 at your base and a 5.2 for youre away trips! ;D

cmon dean,
you were never going to sell it.::)

sleepygreg
26-11-2009, 01:51 AM
If you are flush with fund$ for towing purposes, IMHO the kc2400 is just about the perfect trailerboat for pure fishing (once you get used to the idiosyncrasies of cats). But they are an absolute B#tch to tow. Heavy and with the aerodynamics of a block of flats. If you are looking for one I know where ther is one that may be for sale.

Greg

scoota
26-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Ian.... He really has a hold on the 5.2 now but really wants bigger and faster for more further a field trips.
Never did fit seatbelts though!;)

Pretty sure the turbo diesel Landcruiser will do the job towing but those longer trips are going to be steady.

He was looking at a customised 2700 Noosacat but just too big for towing.

Scoota...

julian1
26-11-2009, 08:54 AM
this one looks like good value, just get a nice new Aluminium trailer for her and away you go !! http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7942877

CCDrifter
26-11-2009, 05:09 PM
I recently upgraded to a 2400KC from a mono 6.25
Now that learning curve of driving the thing has settled down could not be a happier bloke.
Give a lot of thought about towing though, as said before just like draging a 3 storey walk up down the high way behind you, Mind you once you are there well worth it.

Nathan

Dean1
26-11-2009, 06:23 PM
cmon dean,
you were never going to sell it.::) Mate if you waved the right $$$ under my nose you would have had yourself a Black Marlin i think ;) 3 months since ive had her in the water and a few busy months at work have settled me down a bit so i might keep her for a bit unless things change. Im hungry to get out into em now, i hope the weather gods are kind to me.

Cheers, Deano..

Darren J
26-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Hi all,
Have any of the KC 2400 owners towed with anything like a Navara STX (3000kg tow limit)? I have been told by one of the Bris KC dealers that they will do it, and the 2400 is under 3000kg loaded (with aluminium trailer I think)...... But have also been told they can be over 3000kg loaded, and any less than a Landcruiser is not suitable.

Thanks in advance for your info.

Darren

sleepygreg
27-11-2009, 12:06 AM
I wouldnt like to tow it with anything smaller than a landcruiser.....not saying the others wont tow it....but it wont be me driving it or even sitting passenger on any sort of trip.

CCDrifter
27-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Darren

I have a Navara STX Dual Cab that was intended to be the tow vehicle for the 2400KC when I bought the boat 6 months ago. Did a few trips away i.e DI and 1770 from the gold coast. Just bought a landcruiser to replace the Navara. The Navara does the job but only just. Ball weight on the set up was quite heavy and have now lightened it up a smidge back to about 250kg. Towing with the Navara there was never a relaxing moment behind the wheel and the accelerator may as well have been a switch (ON or OFF).
Now with the cruiser all is good. Would strongly reccomend nothing less as it is not only the weight but also the wind drag of the boat that effects towing attributes dramatically.

Nathan

rat_catcher
27-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Mate of mine has a KC2400 and he tows it with a 100 Series Landcruiser. My brother-in-law has a Turbo Diesel Navara and I could not see how it would handle the size of the KC. Yes I know the Navara is rated for 3 tonnes, but I still don't get it vs a Prado at only 2.5 tonnes.

Anyway my vote would be to stick with the Landcruiser.

Flex
29-11-2009, 09:21 AM
My mate has a 6.2KC and no way you'd tow it long distance with a Navara.
Aside weight issue, its mostly the windage that kills you.

You'll be creeping up small hills in 3rd gear,holding up traffic, and generally be annoyed as hell on long trips