PDA

View Full Version : Cat Trailer Guide

John Buoy
25-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi all was hoping someone could assist
I'm looking at binding my Cat trailer tunnel guide with rope.
The tunnel guide is 40mm diamter pipe and approx
9mts overall
Need to find out how much 10mm rope to get to bind the whole lot. :-/

Regards Frank

Blackened
25-11-2009, 06:02 PM
G'day

Buy a spool and then sell the remaining lot. It would be cheapest this way (in bulk)

Dave

GBC
25-11-2009, 06:40 PM
circle diameter at the centre of the rope is 50mm. (diameter + (2 X 1/2 rope dia))

Circumference (2 x pi x r) = 157mm

You need 9000mm at 10mm = 900 wraps @ 157 = 24649mm + knots etc.

About 25 lm of 10 mm rope.

It's been a while, so if I've stuffed it up please feel free to jump on it.

finding_time
25-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Frank

Just see how much you need for .5 of a meter and x by 20, this should leave you with some extra for knots etc.

ian

John Buoy
25-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Frank

Just see how much you need for .5 of a meter and x by 20, this should leave you with some extra for knots etc.

ian

Great call Ian need just over a 100mts of it.:P
Teflon skids are looking a better alternative
just need something suitable
to fit to 40mm pipe ::)

Regards Frank

gofishin
25-11-2009, 09:25 PM
circle diameter at the centre of the rope is 50mm. (diameter + (2 X 1/2 rope dia))

Circumference (2 x pi x r) = 157mm

You need 9000mm at 10mm = 900 wraps @ 157 = 24649mm + knots etc.

About 25 lm of 10 mm rope.

It's been a while, so if I've stuffed it up please feel free to jump on it.GBC, I liked your math up to the '=' sign...then it didn't sound right (900 @ 100mm = 90m of rope, so 90@157mm means approx 140m) seems like you pressed the wrong button...:P .

John, I have seen the clear hose used (bunnings etc), but this may be a bit grippy up the dry end. Have also seen plack poly used too (would have less friction, but may leave black marks up the tunnel). I actually used 4 pairs of wheelbarrow tyres up the tunnel of a big cat & they worked great.
cheers

John Buoy
26-11-2009, 05:42 AM
GBC, I liked your math up to the '=' sign...then it didn't sound right (900 @ 100mm = 90m of rope, so 90@157mm means approx 140m) seems like you pressed the wrong button...:P .

John, I have seen the clear hose used (bunnings etc), but this may be a bit grippy up the dry end. Have also seen plack poly used too (would have less friction, but may leave black marks up the tunnel). I actually used 4 pairs of wheelbarrow tyres up the tunnel of a big cat & they worked great.
cheers

Spot on mate with 10mm it worked out close to 140mts and 100mts of 12mm.

I currently use the the clear hose but like to upgrade to a non abrasive.

Will source some teflon ;)

Regards Frank

GBC
26-11-2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the correction - with fingers like mine and a history of 'maths in a wheelchair' I'm not surprised.....

cormorant
26-11-2009, 07:02 AM
I am not a lover of frames wraped in rope as the rope always holds salt and moisture so it rusts faster which is a big issue if the tunnel support actually makes up part of the backbone of the trailer. I have used some wrapping before but kept each wrap about 10mm apart and it does the same job and only fully wrapped right at the rear.

If you can sort some tefelon strips I would go that way. We still use some rollers so once 3 foot on the trailer it self alighns so have only had to worry about the rear section. As it is only a small section at the rear of the trailer for us we have paid megga dollars and uses some white 3 inch industrial rubber pipe- thank god they were feeling nice and it was a end of roll for the few meters we needed. Just sewed it on with some zip clips

Have seen a couple of trailers where a couple of wobble rollers have been used clamped to the main crossbeams to keep it away from the tunnel cage and have also seen some were the tefelon strips on the crossbeams have made of thicker material with a cupping in the center where the hull goes and it self centers the hull like a old bobbin roller would. At least that way you can use the existing holes in the trailer bed.

Polly irrigation pipe in my experience can be split with saw ( Ones size too small ) and clipped ( just spring itself on) over the pipe. It doesn't mark the hull but can hold some moisture. Drill some hols in teh bottom of it every 10cm or just pull off and flush every 3 months?

Cheers

Noelm
26-11-2009, 08:15 AM
my trailer has got electrical flexible "hose" split and just hooked over the pipe, been there for over 16 years now.