PDA

View Full Version : have i cooked my gps

maru222
25-11-2009, 02:29 PM
bought an old boat (15 yrs old)came with a handheld lowarance gps
,globalmap 100
put some new batteries in it - it worked!
few weeks later changed batteries and the positive corrodied battery terminals broke off:'(
got a power cable for it from the USA::)

fitted it this morning and it worked,i left it on for an hour ,on returning, it had turned itself off and now will not turn back on
on inspection i had left the broken terimal inside the battery compartment which was lying across two negative termimal points
have i cooked it or do they have a small circiute braker inside etc etc
thanks davo

michael.cl
25-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi Davo from what you have said, I doubt very much if a contact across to negative terminals would do any harm. You say the unit ran ok when you applied power by way of the power cable, and then some time in the next hour it turned its self off. If this electrical link was across the neg contacts all that time and the unit was working, even for a short time I would be looking some ware else for the problem.sorry I cant be more help.

Regards Michael.

maru222
25-11-2009, 07:56 PM
i will keep trying ,nothing to lose ,thanks for your input
redards dave

dreemon
26-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I've got a garmin handheld and use the 12 v ciggie lighter one and I know there's a fuse in the plug inside of it,

see if yours will unscrew just where the centre pin goes into the housing, also make sure that the centre pin moves easily , theres a spring in there too with the fuse and sometimes it needs lube to make contact ,