PDA

View Full Version : Towing Capacity of Commodore.

Marlin_Mike
24-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Gentlrmen,

We have a VY Commodore. I rang round for price on towbar, and all anyone quoted me on was a 1200KG towbar. Now, surely a VY commodore can tow more than that, if not then i'm in trouble, I think my boat weighs 1850KG fully set up fuelled etc.

How do I find out what a commodore will tow and there fore which towbar to get fitted. Best price i got on the 1200kg version was 330 smackeroos fitted and wired. hate to think what a heavy duty one will cost.

Mike

Robbo76
24-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Mike,

I had the same issue not too long ago. I've got a vn s/wagon. After getting info from everywhere I found out mine can tow 1200kg as is without all the add ons. Just a transcooler.

The max I can tow with mine is 1590kg. It would need a 1590kg tow package including a equalizer hitch, side body bracing, trans cooler, elec. trailer brakes, country pack suspension. Also ball load can not exceed 160kg.

Might not be the same for you, but it might give you some idea as to what you may need. Hope it helps.

Rob

Moonlighter
24-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi Mike

Sorry if this sounds too simple, but if you have the owner's manual the info you want will be in there. Alternatively give Holden or your local dealer a call and they will be able to tell you. Failing that, the RACQ will be able to tell you if youre a member.

I think that with an auto trans you will be able to tow at least 1800kg with the right bar/kit fitted - maybe even a bit more.

I had a VS Commodore and had a 1500kg bar fitted by Wynnum Towbars over near Doug Barton's - you'll just have to tell them what weight you want to tow and ask them if they've got a towbar/kit to suit your model car.

Cheers

ML

PinHead
24-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Mike..adopt my theory on towing..if the car can move the towed item then you can tow it. I doubt too many police would know if it was legal or not..i used to tow a 20' fraser with a VP commodore without any problems.

Robbo76
24-11-2009, 07:52 PM
How true PH, My local copper didn't know and didn't give a stuff really. Transport said yeah whatever::) .

It would come down to safety though, you don't want a runaway boat or a pushing trailer down a range or a wheel spinning nightmare up a range.....what about wet road with overweight boat trying to brake? yikes!

The above can happen. I know i wouldn't want my kids in the car in that situation.

Rob

outsider580
24-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Thats all ok until you have to stop.

datamile
24-11-2009, 07:55 PM
or the smell of burning rubber on the wet ramp as you try to pull your boat out.

danny412
24-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Your insurance company must love you( if you have one!)

Marlin_Mike
24-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I have no doubt whatsoever, that the commodore will:

A/ pull the boat no worries

B/ Pull it back up a ramp no worries

The worrying part is the stopping :):)

I have towed her with a gutless 4 cylinder toyota ute to hervey bay and back. It stopped the boat Ok come to think of it. Might just get it done and take it easy......

Mike

lethal098
24-11-2009, 08:00 PM
or the accident when someone dies and they find out you were braking the law, then you go to jail!!! yeah that sounds great. Back to the story at hand ring the dealer or holden customer assist, they will tell you what it is. cheers Lee

rowanda
24-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi
You can get a 2100kg tow pack for a VY, had one on a VX when I owned one. Think about upgrading rear springs, cost bugger all but made a huge difference.
Specs listed here https://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/mynrma/hs.xsl/holden_vy_commodore_berlina_2003_car_review.htm

marty+jojo
25-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Mike..adopt my theory on towing..if the car can move the towed item then you can tow it. I doubt too many police would know if it was legal or not..i used to tow a 20' fraser with a VP commodore without any problems.

Very poor advice Pinhead, what happens if Mike is in an accident and hurts someone?
Think about it.
Marty.

White Pointer
25-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi
You can get a 2100kg tow pack for a VY, had one on a VX when I owned one. Think about upgrading rear springs, cost bugger all but made a huge difference.
Specs listed here https://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/mynrma/hs.xsl/holden_vy_commodore_berlina_2003_car_review.htm

G'day,

Ditto this advice. It is also necessary to get the underneath lined to prevent excess heat transfer from exhaust. Strongly suggest a visit to and a quote from a Holden dealer and ask them about service intervals, especially for the transmission.

White Pointer