PDA

View Full Version : 5.3 metre repower (2 or 4 stroke?)

Pedro Jnr
24-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Just thought I'd post this if anyone else out there is going through the same decision process-

Its been about 12 months in the making (51 weeks of me making up my mind!), but tomorrow I will be picking my 530F Signature back up from Laguna Boating at Noosa fitted with my new DF90 Suzuki.

Went through the whole 2 stroke v four stroke arguement with myself for about 12 months before finally deciding on the DF90 why?

* I always wanted to go four stroke, being a reef fisherman and not a drag racer

* 12 months ago all of the four strokes on the market were (in my opinion) too heavy for my 530F transom, so I was just about to comprimise and go with the Optimax two stroke.

* Just recently Suzuki released the light weight version of their 90HP four stroke, the XL Leg version I went with is actually lighter than the Optimax.

I popped in on Saturday and had a look at her bolt on (she looks the part), the boys are just finishing off the Hydraulic Steering and wiring today, I'll post a picture of her tomorrow.

I honestly believe Suzuki have really done their homework on this light weight model as I sure I'm not the only bloke in the world that thought (until now), the four strokes for 5 - 5.5 metre boats were too heavy

Pedro Jnr.

Noelm
24-11-2009, 10:36 AM
so what was the weight of the XL 90HP motor you bought?

Pedro Jnr
24-11-2009, 02:38 PM
The DF90 XL (25" Leg) version weighs in at 164kg's, Most other 4 strokes on the market are around 190kgs, although I belive Honda may also be releasing a new light weight version of their 90HP as well.

The other thing Suzuki do with the weight is they actually more the power head forward (more over the transom) with a gear train, this gets the centre of gravity over the transon and not hanging off the back

Pedro Jnr

Noelm
24-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I have seen the Suzuki gear setup, I guess it makes some sense if you can get the weight in the boat further, rather than hanging right out the back, every bit helps, so is the new 90 the biggest HP for that engine "family"?

Pedro Jnr
24-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes Noelm, the 90 is the biggest, the same Engine Block is also used for the 70 & 80 HP, these 3 new motors were a completely new design they also run the "lean burn" fuel injection system (or thats what the glossy brouchure tells me!)

Pedro Jnr

Hell Boy
24-11-2009, 03:14 PM
The DF90 XL (25" Leg) version weighs in at 164kg's, Most other 4 strokes on the market are around 190kgs, although I belive Honda may also be releasing a new light weight version of their 90HP as well.

The other thing Suzuki do with the weight is they actually more the power head forward (more over the transom) with a gear train, this gets the centre of gravity over the transon and not hanging off the back

Pedro Jnr

with all the research??? you did looking at repowering your boat, you should of researched that honda did release a light weight 90hp back in late 2007. L type 163kg and X leg 166kg.

http://www.hondampe.com.au/repository/marine/products/high-horsepower/bf90/specifications.aspx

the suzuki does look like a great engine and i hope you enjoy it and i considered the new DF90hp , but i don't know how they go as i've got one of those heavy 90 hp hondas at 163kg for my 5.3mtr boat.

sorry for being sarcastic and straight to the point, but anybody that posts about researching options for repowering their boat should know all the facts and weights before making a informed decision.

Pedro Jnr
24-11-2009, 03:41 PM
scarcastic? no I'd say smart arse..........

FNQCairns
24-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I just had a look at the specs on both the Zuk and the Honda...there is nothing in it, it's a flip of the coin.

A person would need to take a run with both on the same model hull to make any great distinction between the two...there may next to or none!

Anyone done this??

cheers fnq

Hell Boy
24-11-2009, 04:21 PM
scarcastic? no I'd say smart arse..........

I get that a lot Pedro Jnr ;D one of many of my flaws:P Enjoy your new outboard, it should be a cracker.

once you have run it in, post your findings and fuel usage so it can help other people looking for real usage figures when selecting a new engine.

all the best and happy boating

Razgo-
24-11-2009, 04:47 PM
is there a decibel noise rating for both? are they the same?

Hell Boy
24-11-2009, 05:08 PM
is there a decibel noise rating for both? are they the same?

I had a quick search on the net and could find any official results for both of them. but i'm guessing that they should be around the same.

My 09 Honda 90hp is very quiet and i'm sure the Zuk and the Honda would be on the same level noise and performance and fuel economy.

At the end of the day, i don't think there is much between them, both great engines, couldn't go wrong with either one of them.