PDA

View Full Version : speaker holes

yamp
23-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I need to fit couple of radio speakers to old boys centre console. just after any tips, the hole needs to be 91mm going through the console wall which is fibreglass about 5mm thick, I was thinking hole saw but am struggling to get hold of one that big so I thought a jig saw would be ok not sure on blade speed etc thanks for any advice cheers Yamp

bigjimg
23-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Gidday Yamp You can jigsaw it if you can't get hold of a holesaw,just tape up where you are going to mark out the hole with masking tape,cover the area out past the hole where the jigsaw will be travelling to reduce scuffing and chipping of the glass.Don't forget to check behind the panel you are cutting to be sure you are not going to cut through anything of importance.Also get the right blade for the job.Jim

The-easyrider
23-11-2009, 09:54 PM
You can get large ajustable hole saws fron electrical supply stores but proberly not worth the cost for two holes. Jig saw on a slow to med speed with a scroll blade will do the job easy , if you run the saw to fast you will burn the blade sending it blunt

FNQCairns
23-11-2009, 10:08 PM
draw your circle, drill lots of say 5mm holes spaced very close just inside, use a hacksaw blade to cut through to each or use the drill bit with sideways pressure.

10 minute job to this point then use a semi circular sided bastard file filing inwards only to clean up the hole -another 10 minutes.

you can use masking tape well stuck to the area to be worked on as it may save a chips and marks but to avoid chips when filing even without tape go hard on the inner glass missing the outer gelcoat then go quite gently and softly on the outer until it attains level/square, a little skill involved but not much.

cheers fnq

yamp
23-11-2009, 10:08 PM
thanks for the advice fellas a jig saw it is then