PDA

View Full Version : Impoundment Barra Predation On Fingerlings

BR65
23-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Gday all.
Im seeking a link or what ever to any info on the predation of released barra fingerlings (or larger) by more sizable barramundi in south east, central and northern Queensland impoundments.
I know big barra eat litle barra, but what are the facts, estimated percentage claimed by larger barra?
I cant find anything, it originated some where, so good, bad, ugly, what ever, the theory that the big fish eat all the little fish is out there, and I would like to see it sorted one way or the other.

What have you got?

DEANO68
23-11-2009, 08:35 PM
i did read somewhere brian that the survival rate was around 33%....what % bigger barra actually eat ,? dunno... catties , birds, temps obviously would take a fair chunk...
still doesn't add up to cull the bigger fish, when 50cm- 90cm fish will probably take quite a few more , being a bit quicker than the big old ladies...:-/ ...
deano..

BR65
23-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah, Ive seen a report/article Prinny a ways back, but Ive googled my little pinkies off and cant find it.
Would be noice to settle the age old argument.

darylive
23-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Good luck with that mate. There was quite a substantial thread on here not so long ago. The 'ski jump' at Mondy being a point of contention.

I don't know how you would find it but it is in here some where.

BR65
23-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey D. Plenty of discussion between the believers and the non believers, but no where can I find "expert" pinion.
I know guides, ABT members, quiet achievers, stocking group reps, stocking experts browse thru, some one must know?

aussiebasser
23-11-2009, 09:34 PM
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/extra/pdf/FAR/Fishstocking_BestResult8.pdf

You're welcome.

Lovey80
23-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey guys I can't add to this thread but have a slightly hijacking question.

With all the talk of predation of the years has there been any real discussion about running comps etc that allow for catch and relocation of the potentially best breeding size fish down stream into salt where they can kick on and breed to give a double benefit to salt and fresh anglers?

That is of course if predation is actually a problem.

Cheers

chris

Steve B
23-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey guys I can't add to this thread but have a slightly hijacking question.

With all the talk of predation of the years has there been any real discussion about running comps etc that allow for catch and relocation of the potentially best breeding size fish down stream into salt where they can kick on and breed to give a double benefit to salt and fresh anglers?

That is of course if predation is actually a problem.

Cheers

chris
Chris

thats a very good idea, and I for one fully support it. I would rather see big fish relocated than killed for the sake of being big fish....and possibly (with no scientific data) eating fingerlings..... biggest problem I see is getting the fish there safely etc. they are big critters, and need be handled by the right blokes with the right equipment...will they breed in the salt is another question, after years of not breeding in the impoundments. I dunno, but it would be interesting to find out some facts..

the other fact is the SIP permit system is designed for putting barra into the dams, for whoever wants to fish for them, and take them if so desired....I dont like the idea...but thats the way of the SIP project.

As for the survival rate Brian, 30% apparently!!

we put 130,000 in 2 weeks ago!!! so this time next year, hopefully there will be a stack of 60cm maniacs cruising around!!!!

cheers Steve

mylestom
24-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Think that the information supplied from all quarters is just estimations.

When the fingerlings were released the other week at Mondy, there were a few escapees at the changeover from truck to boat (For distribution in dam), at this point the birds were having a ball.

One way is to examine all stomach contents of the large barra (That are kept), this would not be as hard as most people think. An extra bin at the cleaning table at the park, for those that kill their catch.

I am not a believer (at this stage) that large barra do consume large number of fingerlings, the amount of other baitfish in these impoundments on percentage basis,( ie number of barra fingerlings to other baitfish) would be in the region of the smallest percentage possible. Guessing less than .01%.

If over 100,000 fingerlings released in Mondy in November, what is the percentage of other baitfish in this system.

Just my two cents worth, also a non supporter of the ski jump idea.

Regards

Trev

Lovey80
24-11-2009, 05:29 AM
With all the research and experts it takes to get a Barra breeding program off the ground and be such a great success as this has been, surely one can be done where all different sizes of dam Barra can be taken from the fresh and slowly adjusted to the salt and under controlled conditions given the chance to breed?
Maybe they will show that only 70-90cm Barra are worthy relocation targets as breeders..... either way it would be a worthy cause that I am sure would find volunteers if funding was available to set it up.

If not able to breed in the salt they could still be released and maybe the average angler can catch a salty later on down the track. At least if he chose to take it, it would be worth eating after a year or 2 in the salt>>

What are your thoughts??

Again sorry for the hijack

Cheers

Chris

Tropicaltrout
24-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Do barra fall victim to bigger barra .... Yes... Why wrong place wrong time

Do bigger barra hunt down little barra...... No.... They eat whatever swims past.

Do we take out the bigger fish to increase survival rate...... Get a Brain.

Do we premote C&R and educate by signage at ramps..... Would be Nice.

Do we Drop bag limits..... Yep

Or heres a thing a tv in fish displays with a how to catch and release a fish healthy and un harmed.

Get rid of any signage of take the bigger fish and burn the bastards.

NAGG
24-11-2009, 03:52 PM
After spending the last several days at Faust , Teemburra & Kinchant where we caught a good number of small fish (50-70cm) - I really dont think that the predation issue is of a concern
These little fish hide in places that the big fish cant & wont go + a little tacker could run rings around a big girl
Its more likely that the big fish would smash schooling fish rather than expend all that energy chasing down small barra ( yes it would happen - but water birds like egrets , shags & pelicans would take a far greater toll when feeding in the shallow weed beds)

Chris

BR65
24-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Do barra fall victim to bigger barra .... Yes... Why wrong place wrong time

Do bigger barra hunt down little barra...... No.... They eat whatever swims past.

Do we take out the bigger fish to increase survival rate...... Get a Brain.

Do we premote C&R and educate by signage at ramps..... Would be Nice.

Do we Drop bag limits..... Yep

Or heres a thing a tv in fish displays with a how to catch and release a fish healthy and un harmed.

Get rid of any signage of take the bigger fish and burn the bastards.

Jeez, your a cranky bugger ;D
Hijack away boys, Im easy!

Obi _ Wan
24-11-2009, 09:59 PM

He might be a cranky bugger Brian ;D

But he is right! ::)

Cheers,
John.

BR65
24-11-2009, 10:24 PM

Cheers,
John.

LOL John, some still see the dam as protein farms though.
Hear ya had a flick on the week end mate, Mondy soon?

'Basser, cheers mate, theres some reading for me there that I need to digest

Obi _ Wan
24-11-2009, 11:04 PM
LOL John, some still see the dam as protein farms though.
Hear ya had a flick on the week end mate, Mondy soon?

'Basser, cheers mate, theres some reading for me there that I need to digest

Brian, yeh mate i had a flick at the weekend mate and it was good to catch up with some of the boys again.

Fought and lost what appeared to be a decent jack, prawnstar pulled out and came back to me with a red scale on one of the trebles. I managed a small jack of 25cms on Sat night on a herring from under the Sherraton Bridge.

I don't think i will be at Mondy until the new year now, thats if there is any water left in it :'(

Back into hosiptal on Thursday this week for another checkup to see if everything is still in order.

Cheers,
John.

Tropicaltrout
25-11-2009, 06:52 AM

Cheers,
John.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :furious: :furious: :furious: :angryfire: :angryfire: .....You guys I am always happy:LOL: :cowboy: ...

All the testing in the world in a tank enviroment wont come up with the true scenario in the impoundments they simply just cant simulate it:P

aussiebasser
25-11-2009, 04:55 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry: :furious: :furious: :furious: :angryfire: :angryfire: .....You guys I am always happy:LOL: :cowboy: ...

All the testing in the world in a tank enviroment wont come up with the true scenario in the impoundments they simply just cant simulate it:P

Did you actually read to links I put up? Studies by DPI? Please remember that these fisheries were created as a put and take fishery. The whole idea is to release fingerlings, allow them to grow, and then fish for them. The idea of bag limits is to allow the people who pay for the majority of the fisheries to utilise the fish as food. While we have this we have an argument against PETA. If some people get their way and have it turned into a purely catch and release fishery, the is absolutely no argument to put up against cruelty. The put and take sytem has worked since it began in the '80's, and frankly it is probably the best licensing system in the world for having a sustainable fishery. The hundreds of people who fish Monduran for a feed are what is making it a great fishery. They are paying their SIP and ticking the box so they can go out and catch a good meal of Barra. They are helping to protect the wild stocks and they are putting the fingerlings back into the dam.

Tropicaltrout
25-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah mate understand that its put and take and am not saying it should be stopped but!

I am saying that bag limits should be dropped as 5 fish metre plus is simply stupid and IMHO a waste of a resourse. The trouble with this so called best system is that fingerlings are hard to get so numbers probably arnt as high as they could be.

The idea of premoting C&R is to give people the option to catch one fish, continue fishing and release further caught fish so that fish arn't wasted. No body is dis regarding put and take but simply adjusting it, if they want to have fish in that ski jump thing put every cattie you get in it the thing and sent them off for futiliser for the local farms more of those thing gone the better lol