PDA

View Full Version : Honda 20 hour service $811

Jarrah Jack
23-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Mate is not real happy. Took his new 585 HH with a 150 Honda on the back and has really been stung. The boat is 3 weeks old.

They charged $618 for labour and parts, including such things as adjusting the carbi even though its injected.

Then without authorisation checked the trailer, even though it lives at the marina, at a cost of $189. Reckons he replaced a 7 point plug as well.

Then charged $200 for picking up and delivering the boat to the marina.

Mate wanted two 4.5 inch cleats fitted which was charged at $289.

Then GST was added to the lot.

Total cost $1,208.21.

Sound reasonable?

STUIE63
23-11-2009, 06:14 PM
I would be on the limiter and finding a new mechanic or service agent . there are way too many of these threads nowadays maybe also ask for a quote before getting work done
Stuie

gr hilly
23-11-2009, 06:15 PM
ive booked mine in for its first servicesame hrs interesting

ill keep ya posted hilly

finding_time
23-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Mate you have just been ripped off!!! Get a new mechanic!

ian

Ps

he checked the boat in for a motor service i presume? Why did they do the other things, eg check the lighting? This happened to me once, they changed the break pads without phoning me first , if they had done this i would have told them i do those things myself, to there credit they took the cost of the pads and the labour of the service charges but i've still never been back there! It's just overservicing at it's worst and really pisses me off!

ian

sid_fishes
23-11-2009, 06:22 PM
i reckon if garry had done the service, you could have taken him fishing for a week and still had change

STUIE63
23-11-2009, 06:25 PM
name and shame

lethal098
23-11-2009, 06:32 PM
did he ask for a quote?? did he sign anything?? has he paid the bill??

brisbane_boy
23-11-2009, 06:36 PM
And probably paid an apprentice 15 bucks an hour to do it.

finding_time
23-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Mate wanted two 4.5 inch cleats fitted which was charged at $289.

$289 for 4 bolts , 2 cleats and 4 x drilled holes with 5 min labour.....:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o I'm in the wrong game, and that's saying something!!!!!

Yep name the SOB and link his email address, i'll send him a message;)

Angla
23-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm a little sorry you got caught.

I have been too but now I ask for a quote as to the price of a motor service. I also state that I do all the trailer stuff. I will let them look at the batteries as that is important to the ColdCrankAmps but stipulate that they are not to be replaced. Nothing over the quoted price unless there is a phone call first!!!!

I do the same thing with my 4wd service and between Holden dealers the difference is noticeable. They seem to do the same thing but they do have set prices if you ASK! You MUST ASK!

Cheers
Chris

frankgrimes
23-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Where's he located? If Goldie area give Spaniard_King(Garry) a PM....guessing that's who sid_fishes is talking about also.

Mick

tin can marlin
23-11-2009, 07:59 PM
That is a joke the first service is basiclly check the plugs check gear box oil and tighten up bolts etc what a joke they should be on a comedy show.

Spaniard_King
23-11-2009, 08:35 PM
JJ,

I take it your talking about a VIC dealer. They must not be too busy down there:(

Jarrah Jack
23-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Happy to say that the situation has been resolved. Apparently there was some software problem and everyone is now happy.

Thanks for the concern everyone.

siegfried
23-11-2009, 08:48 PM
I am speechless (for once) make sure you and your mate let as many people know as youse can this $hit leaves a sour taste in your mouth but I reckon itll be the last 800 clams this mob ever get from you fullas (#^t$ they are>:(

Steeler
23-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Thats enough to make your eyes bleed,pretty poor form really.

The thread is getting a lot of views so hopefully once you attach a link to it they might have a case of having a conscience and work something out for your buddy.

Getting what you pay for is your right,getting RIPPED like that sucks.

Cheers

Steve

stinky-stabi
24-11-2009, 06:31 AM
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

levinge
24-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Got my 135HP 20 Hour Service done (so long ago, 14months, now over 200hrs on the motor) and from memory it only cost me $450-$500 mark, that's in Townsville and everything is considered expensive up here.

I would be taking this matter up with ACCC or one of those Government Regulation mobs.

Short of that get in contact with A Current Affair or Today Tonight and let the media give them some grief.

Time to go on the Offensive with shonks like these, they need to know they can't rip people off and expect to get away with it....

timddo
24-11-2009, 09:36 AM
How can you take it to the ACCC. A service has been provided and you paid for it.

A typicall example is lawyers. Varies in prices from free to $2000 an hour. No dealers have the same price as with petrol stations.

The number one rule is Ask for a written quote or verbal.

I had a tyre changed and the guy quoted $5. 2 hours later the manager ask for $100 as the apprentice didn't know what he was doing. I just gave them $5 as per quote and left.

I wouldn't pay the for work on the trailer as you never asked for it, Besides what the hell can be wrong with a 3 week trailer. The plug should be under warranty anyway.

Once you have paid for the service - you basically have agreed to the terms and conditions. I know use a mobile fella as i can see what is being done. Have heard alot of stories about boat getting dings and missing parts.

levinge
24-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Can't hurt to report them as there must be some standard as to what costs and what constitutes price gouging. People pay for tank of fuel and still report it to the ACCC, I see no difference, without initial payment you have no evidence do you!!!!

Remember if nobody stands up to them, they see it as open licence to do whatever they like.

Stuff like this starts with outrageous pricing and then elevates to replacement with substandard parts, wiring, signing off work that was never done etc (the list could be endless). At least they would be on notice that someone could be watching how they are conducting their business....

Noelm
24-11-2009, 01:38 PM
hhmm 20 hours running, over $800 dollars for service, that makes a nice neat $40 an hour to run plus fuel, kind of think something is amiss.

cormorant
24-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Always get a quote seems to be a theme here and be it cars , truck boats or the wife always get a quote before the work starts. Especially on the hourly rate.

Phone and write to the manufacturer and check what should be done at the 20hr service and the hours they allocate for it. They may even quote approximate retail cost of parts. Ask them what the schedule says for the next few services as well.

Manufacturers don't like their dealer network taking advantage of their clients.

Software glitch - my- arse. Unless they called you first to tell you that what a crock.

What was the final cost of the service?? What was the break up of parts and labour as there really shouldn't be much on parts.

black runner
24-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Surely he got a quote first? Today you have to fully understand what your getting for your buck, and they have to understand that you will only pay what is agreed and nothing else unless authorized. Simple as that.

I had a timing belt changed on a Camry last year at the local Toyota Dealership and it was advertised as a flat rate deal (belt only plus labour). When I went to pick it up they had also replaced some idler bearings - needed replacing but hadn't rung to inform me. The reception/cashier could see that the authorisation hadn't happened on their computer based work order system and therefore couldn't and didn't charge me - didn't even ask! - Sweet

Cheers

geoffmck
25-11-2009, 05:38 AM
Happy to say that the situation has been resolved. Apparently there was some software problem and everyone is now happy.

Thanks for the concern everyone.

For those not following this thread from the start, the dealer was actually named in this post before it was edited by Jarrah Jack. I can understand why it was removed if the dealer was innocent, but in this case, a software glitch does not appear to be believable. A computer can not create an itemised invoice for work done, calculate charges and hand it to a punter for payment. Humans are not software. I reckon they have tried it on an got caught out. I wont be spending my money there.

This highlights the importance of being sure of your facts before naming/shaming anybody on an online forum. We are lucky we have the ability to edit on here.
Just my 2 cents.

ozscott
25-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Just to add something on the lawyers cost front because I dont want people to think they will be charged up to $2,000 an hour for this type of thing. Yes lawyers are expensive. However in Qld at least the average for a good lawyer who has been admitted for 10 years plus is about $300-$350/hr. A top silk in Qld does not charge $2,000/hr. I am aware that there are one or two silks in Sydney who, by legend of reputation only, might charge somewhere near that if their daily rate is divided by the hours in the day, but for conferences I still doubt that they would charge $2k an hour. But we are not talking silks here (SC and QC Barristers) we are talking solicitors initially and you can get a good one working on this sort of matter in Qld for about $300/hr and quite possibly less. I admit to many whether its $300/hr or $2,000/hr its irrelevant because both figures seem insane.

Cheers

sporty1
28-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi Guys

my Suzuki 90hp 4 stroke had a 20 hrs service yesterday by Broadwater Outboard Repairs 2182 Gold Coast HWY, 55727676 the cost was a follows:
Labour $187
Oil filter 420
1x gear oil and lube $18
5 litres engine oil $45
1 fuel filter $20

also checked trailer, replace the housing on my stereo that had cracked (under warranty) and checked my vhf as I was unsure if it was working correctly.

gst $26.36

total $290

I realise your engine is a bit larger but how could it possible cost that much!!!