PDA

View Full Version : English floods - cheap boats anyone?

GBC
23-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Just a couple a photos a mate took from his front and rear balcony of his weekender on Lake Windemere.
The car shot is/was his merc ML.
The shots fron the balconies show a carpark between his unit and the chandlery full of yachts. The other one is his back yard looking over to the next row of units - also with some flotsam.

Luckily he's still waiting for his new Moonday (still being built in Turkey)., otherwise she would have been part of the mess.

Chimo
23-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey GBC

Don't the POMs have the logic run crossed lines or to loosen mooring lines when the need arises?

They dont seem to be into tide rise or in this case rising flood water. Maybe for next time we should get an aid package of pocket knives ready even if they are closer to the home of the Swiss army knife!

Got to feel sorry for the the buggers tho, I suppose.

Cheers
Chimo

bigjimg
23-11-2009, 05:19 PM
What a mess.Looks like all those boats are sitting on the deck not pulling on their lines.Jim

GBC
23-11-2009, 05:35 PM
You're right, those boats are in his yard and were washed down from the lake. How there were moored I have no idea - there's swing moorings and fingers. I have no idea how much rain they had but apparently it was the biggest 'event' on record for the area.

Chimo, most of the boat owners live nowhere near where the boats are kept, and in any event couldn't get near the lake anyway due to the flooding.

The boats appear to be stuck in pairs, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dirty great lump of concrete wharf between each pair? Only a wild guess.

Pretty crappy outcome all round really.

Chimo
23-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Hell, how big is the the lake now if they were washed down? from it?

So GBC your saying the boats were washed out / down from the lake in twos: so if they were tied to concrete wharfs maybe they still are and thats whats causing them to sit the way they are; where ever they are.

Be interesting to see the ones still in / on the lake.

Cheers
Chimo

Damned67
23-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Oh, and your mate left his window down on the Merc.....

All jokes aside, very interesting pics. I, too, am curious as to why the boats are sitting as they are.

Sepultallica
23-11-2009, 10:44 PM
that is karma for england winning the ashes

yalta
23-11-2009, 10:47 PM
any avors there.