PDA

View Full Version : Overnight / Great Sandy Straits

wow
22-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Can anyone give me some insights into camping overnight up GSS. Looking at beaching tinnie and swaqging it on the beach or maybe the tinnie. Venturing up there more often next year and I'm looking for some advice on places to put the boat in as I'll be living south of Maryborough. Can you give me some ideas for consideration.

Cheers
wow

winston
22-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Wow,there are very few places to overnight in the Sandy Straits. There is a school camp approximately 300m into German creek. If you want to camp on Fraser Island, you will need a permit. Your best bet is to overnight in the tinny. P.S. bring plenty of Rid if you intend to come any time soon. Cheers Winston.

Hell Boy
23-11-2009, 08:22 AM
I have to agree with winston, in the boat is a good option, and you will definately need a extra anchor attached to yourself so the mozzies and sandflys don't carry you away.

Apollo
24-11-2009, 06:37 AM
Couple of spots in Kauri C (log dump and Headleys), Woody island has a camp area as well.

Steve

robersl
24-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Don't forget the croc sightings in the area so i would not be camping on the beach up there a mate has a property a marroom the only all tide ramp is at little tuan or half tide in or out from marroom

shane

Crocodile
25-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Hello Wow,
I have camped in the GSS about twenty five years ago.
I camped at Snout Pt and Dundonga Ck.
It is something that I would not repeat, the trip was great, the sandflies were overwhelmingly bad.
I still suffer a recation to their bites.
I tried all of the available repellants, I watched a sandy burrow through a layer of Rid to bite me.
Do day trips or get a boat that is big enough to sleep on and anchor well out from shore.

wow
25-11-2009, 08:17 PM
thankyou gentlemen for the advice! there appears to be a common thread through all the responses and I'm referring to the biting insects. Needless to say preparation and some knowledge is beneficial however the day trip will be the initial sortee and build on that. Again, I appreciate your opinions. Cheers WoW