PDA

View Full Version : Ausfish TV?

mull dog
21-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Dont know if this has ever been brought up for discussion prior to now, but how good would a fishing channel on the box be? The yanky doodles have a fishing channel as well as a golf channel and a dog grooming channel (probably), so why not us? With all the locally made fishing progammes both on pay tv and free to air it would be possible to incorporate all of that into one station. All the home videos on this forum could even get a gong!
We, as a nation, have so many fishing tackle and boating manufacturers fighting for their slice of the pie that sponsorship wouldn't be too hard to come by. So if anyone on here knows a Mr Rupert Murdoch or a Mr James Packer why not have a little whisper in their ear.
Just a thought but as a fishing addict what better way to spend a shitty day, weather wise, than to watch lads poppering for big trout or the ABT boys going about their business with a refreshing ale and a chicken and vegie pie;D

Kero
21-11-2009, 06:30 PM
I would watch! Who knows, I might even learn how to catch a bloody decent fish!:-/

Mrs Ronnie H
21-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi
What happenned to all the good old shows from years ago--rex hunt--thommo and his travels, adventure bound,river to reef.

Watching all us ausfish members would be better than watching the crap they put on nowadays.

Ronnie

charlie09
22-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Sounds like a good idea.

So long as there isn't any whooping and hollering when a fish is caught like on Escape with ET. They play a 500 grm fish of 10 kg line for 15 minutes and whoop and holler like children. Cant stand to watch that rubbish only because of that. ::)

finding_time
22-11-2009, 10:50 PM
While on Escape with ET, has anyone noticed how many adds are in that show!!!!!! It really is over the top, i dont watch it anymore for this reason alone, faired dinkum they treat the punters like idiots these days

FNQCairns
22-11-2009, 11:25 PM
While on Escape with ET, has anyone noticed how many adds are in that show!!!!!! It really is over the top, i dont watch it anymore for this reason alone, faired dinkum they treat the punters like idiots these days

Agree totally it is effectively unwatchable.

We must be mugs.

cheers fnq

MyEscape
23-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Yes, that's the problem with these types of shows. Escape with ET is a show I watch from time to time, but it's really a half hour advertisement. And most of the lifestyle type of shows are.

Steve

Nic
23-11-2009, 05:40 AM
I don't think Australia has a big enough pool of anglers to make a fishing channel workable. America has a much bigger population than we do and tournament fishing in particular is huge. They can easily get rich, non-industry sponsors to support them... Kelloggs, Mars etc.

I'm guessing the reason so many Australian shows are full of plugs is that between-programming ads don't supply enough revenue to pay the bills. Fishing programs have to offer the whole 'ads + plugs' package to convince industry sponsors to get on board, maybe.

Plugs actually don't bother me much, I'm more irked by certain styles of presen-hehehen-ting.

Bear001
23-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I end up watching them all - even if it is just to see different locations, and learn to identify different saltwater species etc.

The only one I dont go much on is when they put a bimbo in a bikini on camera & tell her what to say, obviously she has never fished before (I would tolerate it if she was a proper fisho).....give me ET to look at any day...lol:P ::) ;D

Cindy

Lucky_Phill
23-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Briz 31 offers some fishing shows that are " quite watchable ". River to Reef is one, on Tuesday nights I believe.

I think Nugget tried to put one together a few years ago, and it was on Briz 31 as well.

We in Australia have a very limited market and thus the ads...... to make it pay.

If you want some good fishing fun, hit the old You Tube..... That way the cheese and kisses can still watch Home & Away etc etc...... ;D :-X

Did I say that ??????? :-/ ;D ;D

deepfried
23-11-2009, 08:02 PM
I end up watching them all as well even if they are rubbish. Talking of rubbish hows that yankie one Hooked on pay tv. Still watch it though sadly. So if they had a fishing channel i would watch it regardless of what was on it. The adds also dont worry me too much, pretty much the same as reading a fishing mag and the writer only recommends gloomis etc. Guess thats the business.

sleepygreg
23-11-2009, 09:20 PM
As stated...we just dont have the population to warrant the spend required (by the advertisers) to support TV advertising for fishing shows on mainstream - let alone a dedicated fishing channel. Advertising on community channels is way cheaper than on a national network....which is why there are the odd few shows that are around...but the problem with some of them is that they incorporate their advertising in the presentation which often means that a rival sponsor wont pick up the advertising slots for the show.

I for one would love to see a dedicated fishing channel, there is certainly enough content available (albeit bulked up with O/S shows), but they can fill in the non prime spots. And the local stuff can boost the "local content" requirements of the network.

Dont think it will happen any time soon.....but have my fingers crossed.

Greg

MyEscape
24-11-2009, 05:10 AM
If there was a dedicated fishing channel wouldn't it end up just simply being the same thing over and over.

I also like to see some of the locations, especially the stuff in the top end, north west australia etc, but a whole TV channel would get a bit boring.

Still, some people watch sport all the time too (I don't) but each to their own I suppose.

Steve

Blackened
24-11-2009, 06:40 AM
G'day

Didn't Fish NET have their own show? just one big industry add?

Dave

Noelm
24-11-2009, 07:40 AM
I guess the probelms with most fishing shows is the repetative topics, like that "stop the bus" nitwit, almost always catches Snapper on plastics, ET is almost always at his lodge in the North, they follow the same script week after week, that combined with really bad hosts just makes it dull, mind you, I still reckon it is better than the American shows with some guy in a 300HP boat, all the gear and catches a 150mm Bass that fights something like a mado, and wooops and hollers as he skull drags the "beast" to the boat.

legsy11
26-11-2009, 06:03 PM
the shows on pay tv seem pretty good to me.
they at least make an effort to appeal to the wider community.
and for me any fishing is good fishing.
ill even watch someone fish for gold fish with cotton and dried shrimp.bring it on.whoo hoo

Axl
26-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi all

I pay for premium Foxtel every month whilst there have been some good fishing shows on after several years of subscription I think i've seen them all.

Bring it on I reckon not to sure how it would happen though.

blacksunday
29-11-2009, 12:34 AM
u need pay tv mate atm there is shit loads of fishing programs on and with the new channels just added its even better now.
wanna go fishing (ESPN HD)
worlds greastest fishing show (espn hd)
hooked ( the life style channel)
fishing western australia ( the life style channel 2 )
et fishing escapes (life style channel 2 and disc )
hook line and sinker (###### )
perfect catch (######)
fishing on the edge ( turbo max )
extreme fishing ( discovery )
there a few more but cant remember the names now i have them all setup to auto record with mystar or u might have foxtel's my iq i think they call it.

Scott nthQld
30-11-2009, 09:50 AM
my favourtie show going atm is the Extreme fishing with Robson Green, some pommy actor travelling the world catching all sorts of fish.

I'll admit there isn't a lot their in terms of technique, rigs, bait etc, and he's a pretty useless fisho, but geez I get a good laugh out of it.

It's on paytv onlifestyle channel on Saturday's.

Tha yank one called Hooked is pretty craptacular, everything is so dramatised half the time I'd prefer to watch Days of our Lives or Bold and the Beautiful or some other tripe like that.

I do notice the pommy shows are well, very boring, the presenters just don't keep you engaged enough, though I do enjoy watching them catch something we don't see.

The Yank shows seem to feature heavily on catching 300mm long monsters on 100lb line, no sport aspect about it, and everything as said before, is whooped over, even when they are jigging for live bait, its just so exciting, maybe to keep a 3 year old entertained for all of 5 minutes