PDA

View Full Version : Fish finder interdrence with vhf

deathstar 3
21-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi all

I was out today inn the new boat and while the fish finder was on (Northstar 657) there seemed to be a great deal of interference with the VHF. Enought to make it unusable while the fish finder was on. No probs when it is off. Obviously this is no good but what might be the solution and should the dealer have checked and fitted something to prevent this prior to delivery? Does it require a filter of sorts and is this the dealers responsibility? Just clocked up 3 hrs.

Cheers John

oldboot
21-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Does the transducer cable from the sounder go near the VHF aerial cable or the aerial?

These sounders spit out quite a bit of power and the shielding isn't 100%...so iff the cables are close together you can get some problems.

If I lean over the back of my boat at rest.....I can hear the transducer.. and that sound is only a byproduct of what it is realy sticking out...some of the pulses on these things are 1500watts.

Power supply good and solid?

cheers

deathstar 3
21-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I will investigate that further, one would think thatthese items going together on every boat there would be a better solution.

Cheers John

oldboot
21-11-2009, 04:06 PM
It is a very common rule that you run the sounder wiring down one side of the boat and all other wiring down the other.

segregation between sounder wiring and other wiring is a known issue......admittedly some of the ideas held are hokus pokus... but keeping transducer wiring seperated is a good idea with sound reasoning.

cheers