PDA

View Full Version : Antifoul

wayno60
21-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Guys whats the best way to get this shit off??
Tried the gurney and that will get the flakey bits off but where its a nice smooth finish like 6 inch up the side of the hull it aint coming off.
I was told, go the belt sander, but i was wondering if paint striper or a mild acid would work??

cheers

two up
21-11-2009, 02:40 PM
A belt sander will probably do a lot of damage to the gel coat, paint stripper will also damage the gel coat/ fibreglass, do not think acid will work. I stripped my boat about 3 months ago using a paint scraper. Not 1 of the normal ones this 1 had a carbide blade set at about 80 degrees to the handle. It is a lot of hard work, after stripping the majority of the antifoul off you will have to sand, I used a random orbital with varying grades of paper, my 20 foot bertram took 4 days all up to get to the painting stage. A quicker way is to have it bead blasted but will probably cost about $50 per foot.

oldboot
21-11-2009, 02:56 PM
First of all you don't want to breathe the dust from this stuff or leave it lying arround, so any sanding needs to be done with dust extraxtion or wet where the slurry can be collected and disposed of.... there is nasty stuff in this.....if you are pulling it out of the water the marina should have the gear to deal with the crap.

A mate did his 40 foot cat last year... with a scraper........yeh good holiday........

Those linbide scrapers are a good piece of gear... you can get them from good trade paint shopps... they take a standard straight 50mm carbide spindle moulder knife.

the knife has two edges.....you will go thru a few...but they are good.....cheaper to get the blades from an indusrtial saw doctor that to buy from the hardware/paint shop.

If you scrape the worst off, then chnage to asharp blade thay can give a pretty good finish with care.....still have to contain and dispose of the waste..... and protect your self from it.

My mate had the hull "salt blasted" (i think) by the marina staff to get the weeds and easy stuff off.

cheers
cheers

outsider580
21-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi mate try Hull strip, I have just stripped my Cruise Craft back to Gel coat had about 4 coats of antifoul on it, not to hard no dust, about $250 kit from Scomar Archerfield, just Google it.

wrxhoon
21-11-2009, 09:30 PM
You can do it yourself, you can buy the antifoul stripper , is thick jelly like stuff , you put it on about 5 mm thick and cover it with brown paper , you can buy it all in a kit. As long as the antifoul is in good nick ( no growth on the gelcoat) its fairly easy job . I did a 21' signature a few years ago.
The other option is soda blasting , no damage to the gelcoat .

wayno60
22-11-2009, 07:42 AM
thanks guys for the heads up .......off to whitworths tomorrow.

cheers

surveyor
25-11-2009, 05:49 PM
hi guys
good info im looking to remove probably a single coat of antifoul from my 20 ft hull had a rough quote to sodablast it of 1000$ so im interested in the hull strip ,where did you get it whitworths dont sell it apparently and having trouble finding sellers on the net .Also what sort of job did it do relative to say soda blast which apparently leaves the job completely clean and no damage to gel coat.Is it a very messy and difficult or just time consuming also any ballpark time it took to clean the signiture
thanks for any advice::)

wrxhoon
26-11-2009, 12:15 AM
It was a few years ago that I did mine , I can't evn remember where I bought it from . It will take you all day but if the boat doesn't have any gowth it comes off very easy and no damage at all , mine had some growth because the antifouling was warn in some places , this is when its hard to remove the growth and soda blasting will be the same . It will cost you about $200-300 for the material .

propdinger
26-11-2009, 01:39 PM
sterling paints has it there at

181 Boniface, Archerfield, QLD
07 32779144

worth ringing first to make sure they have it in stock but they said they always do. just done a 6.5mtr haines signature and used there paints really good paint aswell

surveyor
26-11-2009, 07:28 PM
thanks guys;D