PDA

View Full Version : The all new Yamaha SHO V-MAX

Jabba_
21-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Yamaha look a if they have done the impossible with there new SHO... So fare the specifactions are impressive, and whats more is the weight of the 250 is as ligh as the Opti and lighter then E-tec....
If all Yamaha is saying is true about this new SHO, and the performance gap between 2st and 4st is closed, then this is going to be the end off 2 strokes.....
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/vmax_micro/

Jabba_
21-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Oh I forgot....
With a yamaha prop, the 250 SHO was a few mph quicker then the Opti and 1mph slower then the 250 E-tec HO..... play around with the props and that thing will leave both the DI 2st in its wake....

My only concern is Yamaha is advertising them for Bass boats only... I'm not sure what that could meen or lead....

littlemac
21-11-2009, 07:22 AM
very interersting. i wonder what sort of dollars though.

cheers

brett

Jabba_
21-11-2009, 08:10 AM
If Yamaha uses similar price structure as Merc and BRP then I would guess that the SHO would be about $1500 - $2500 dearer then there standard motors..

Dean1
21-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Mmmm wonder if there will be a 70/90hp?? The 5.2 KC boys will have a solution.
Sounds good, gee Jabba youll have nothing to argue about anymore ;D ;D

Wahoo
21-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Good stuff from yamaha, the new motor looks sweet as well, thou the Verado has had the hole shot of a 2 stroke for a while now:o :o 8-)

Jabba_
21-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Good stuff from yamaha, the new motor looks sweet as well, thou the Verado has had the hole shot of a 2 stroke for a while now:o :o 8-)
True, but the Verardo in a 250hp tips the scales at 297kg and requires a supercharger to perform like a 2st... The SHO Yammie is as light, has the performance of a 2st and it does it all naturally aspirated...

I guess time wil tell how good these SHO's really are... But by going on Yamaha's reputation for reliabilty they should be pretty good..

Jabba_
21-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Mmmm wonder if there will be a 70/90hp?? The 5.2 KC boys will have a solution.
Sounds good, gee Jabba youll have nothing to argue about anymore ;D ;D

Dean, if these SHO's are evry bit as good as a 2st DI in the way off hole shot and top speed, I'll be putting one on my next boat..

ozbee
21-11-2009, 12:44 PM
bit like the ho with etec notice it was only for light hulls . pity i thought we might of got our first di fourstroke.last thing we need is another bundle of blown motors like etec did when people put ho on real size hulls. all a side it is a 4.2 litre motor so it should have good torque enough for 23 ft hulls once propped down but at a guess it has a shorter stroke than usual . example the zuk 300 is 4 litre so at 4.2 but only 250 so fuel econmy will be down on heavier hulls but great accerlation on light boats. i would expect to see a new 300 soon from this block . there 300 that they have now has not been a great success because of weight. wouldnt be surrprised to see the 350 to go up to 400 also. it is good to see the 250 hp market come of age as many models were 200 hp pushed to the max. being yamaha i expect it to be good though on a reef boat i would wait a year and see if a 300 comes out in this size block which would have the edge over the 300 zuk.

Scott nthQld
21-11-2009, 06:11 PM
looks the good I reckon, nice big block that should see 300 ponies soon I reckon.

Face value, to me it sounds like they have either creates a lighter alloy to use, or thinner wall size in the block to shed so much weight for a fourstroke, still it doesn't go on to say what exactly this 'plamsa fusion' is, they claim its harder than steel, that might be so, but hardeness is only part of the equation, is it going to be able to deal with the high temperatures, nonetheless, time will tell, it'll be like the etec though, people maynot want to jump straight on board with the 'new' technology, and wait for someone else to try it out

dodgyone
21-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Mmmm. A 300 would be just about perfect for the new Formula Im looking at.

Jabba_
22-11-2009, 07:37 AM
bit like the ho with etec notice it was only for light hulls . pity i thought we might of got our first di fourstroke.last thing we need is another bundle of blown motors like etec did when people put ho on real size hulls. all a side it is a 4.2 litre motor so it should have good torque enough for 23 ft hulls once propped down but at a guess it has a shorter stroke than usual . example the zuk 300 is 4 litre so at 4.2 but only 250 so fuel econmy will be down on heavier hulls but great accerlation on light boats. i would expect to see a new 300 soon from this block . there 300 that they have now has not been a great success because of weight. wouldnt be surrprised to see the 350 to go up to 400 also. it is good to see the 250 hp market come of age as many models were 200 hp pushed to the max. being yamaha i expect it to be good though on a reef boat i would wait a year and see if a 300 comes out in this size block which would have the edge over the 300 zuk.

Apparently there is a off-shore version coming out next year that will be ideal for larger fishing boats....

FNQCairns
22-11-2009, 07:48 AM
It's a huge block! Sounds like the block is a throw away? going to cause some pain for any owner out of warranty if that is the case.

cheers fnq

littlemac
22-11-2009, 08:33 PM
it could be the go
what do you think jabba. it's scary that something has the same weight a 2 stroke and the power of a 2 stroke but its not a two stroke

cheers

brett

Jabba_
23-11-2009, 09:15 AM
very interersting. i wonder what sort of dollars though.

cheers

brett

I just read on Scream & Fly forum that Ed's marine (USA) already has the 250HP SHO at $15400... Convert that to Aussie and its $16500..
Currantly US outboard prices one converted to AUS are about 13K cheaper so the Yamaha 250 SHO will be about $29500 in Australia..

Evinrude prices (USA) X 1.07 then add 13k to get an aussie price
http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/evinrude.htm

Yamaha
http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/yamaha.htm

Jabba_
23-11-2009, 09:32 AM
it could be the go
what do you think jabba. it's scary that something has the same weight a 2 stroke and the power of a 2 stroke but its not a two stroke

cheers

brett
At this point, why would you bother with a 2st DI, now that the SHO is pulling the same if not better performance figures, and it's just as light as a 2st,, unbelieveable...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/otb/bulletins/bulletin_4stroke_hpv6_vmax_sadcd.tmp.pdf

http://www.evinrude.com/NR/rdonlyres/257F03BB-7F77-4B40-8FED-BE65C8856F75/0/PE544.pdf

http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_deeper/boat_house_bulletin.php?ID=120&SortBy=Title&Section=outboardChecks&optimaxProXS=8

However the question mark will remain about its reliabilty untill it is proven in the field with it's customers....
But given Yamaha's track record with reliabilty it should be near as good as there standard motors.. But hi-performance anything does have there weak points, and it's just a matter off time before we see any from the SHO

Scott nthQld
23-11-2009, 11:51 AM
At this point, why would you bother with a 2st DI, now that the SHO is pulling the same if not better performance figures, and it's just as light as a 2st,, unbelieveable...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/otb/bulletins/bulletin_4stroke_hpv6_vmax_sadcd.tmp.pdf

http://www.evinrude.com/NR/rdonlyres/257F03BB-7F77-4B40-8FED-BE65C8856F75/0/PE544.pdf

http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_deeper/boat_house_bulletin.php?ID=120&SortBy=Title&Section=outboardChecks&optimaxProXS=8

However the question mark will remain about its reliabilty untill it is proven in the field with it's customers....
But given Yamaha's track record with reliabilty it should be near as good as there standard motors.. But hi-performance anything does have there weak points, and it's just a matter off time before we see any from the SHO

That therein lies the problem, though yamaha does have a good rep for reliability, I reckon it will play out as another etec scenario, only a select few you will want nothing other than the lastest and greatest technology would be willing to give it a go, most will hang back and wait for these reports to come, so it could be a long wait until we get the sort of feedback we want, and by then, who knows, yamaha might not like the sales performance and scrap it from its line up.....it all depends on how many people would be willing to throw the money at it and do all the feild testing that boaties want to hear, ie testing that doesn't come from the manufacturer.

Bit of a DI 2 stroke killer though isn't it? as long as the engine can back up the claims. Seems to be priced well for 'all new' technology, I remeber when etec first came out, up here they want nearly double compared to what the other brands were offering in the same hp class, we were quoted 18k for a 70 or 60 I can't remember now, needless to say we skipped it when yamaha and suzuki were offering the same engine class for less than half that (ended up with a yam 60 4st coming in at 8200 fitted, less tradein, and the zuke 70 was too heavy for the transom)

Jabba_
23-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Some how I think Yamaha is going to go straight for BRP's jugular and price these motors under BRP's HO's...

But if your a Pro bass angler, the E-tec HO still has it's advantage in the way off it's warranty... Yamaha are still only offering a 3 year limited warranty which only includes Govenment and rec users only... If your racing or a Bass pro no warranty for you.... Where BRP are offering a full 5 year non-declining unlimited warranty to all who buy the motor,,, from rec user to full time racer....
You have to admit, that is a warranty that is hard to pass on...

Scott nthQld
23-11-2009, 03:45 PM
yeah but don't forget the first etec's only came out with a 3 year warranty. Once the SHO's have a place in the market I reckon the warranty will get better to at least match what envinrude offer, that's if they are serious about getting rid of the competition.

Sure makes the decision of envinrude to discontinue a 4st line up was made a bit premature at best IMO

Jabba_
23-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Yes but when E-tec was offering a 3 year unlimited warranty when they first hit the market, I think everyone else only had a 12 month warranty.... IRC

True about BRP dropping the 4st range, but it was a Suzuki and I have heard whispers that BRP are going to re-introduce the 4st Johnson.. While BRP dropped the Johnsuki line up, behind the scenes BRP have been developing a 4st Rotax outboard... If I am correct they'll be released late 2010 or early 2011...

No matter how you look at it,, it is all good new for the consumer...

Jabba_
23-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Well look what I found, the Off-shore version is all ready released..
and it good news for those who want a 300hp...
258kg for the 300hp, 250hp and 225hp

http://www.simyamaha.com/category_s/1883.htm

Can you tell I'm not at work today.... Bloody crook back...

Hell Boy
23-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Well look what I found, the Off-shore version is all ready released..
and it good news for those who want a 300hp...
258kg for the 300hp, 250hp and 225hp

http://www.simyamaha.com/category_s/1883.htm

Can you tell I'm not at work today.... Bloody crook back...

It's a good read Jabba, i like the look of there new 5 inch Command Link gauges, Now where is the rest of there new range 90-115hp and 130 - 175hp.

i did noticed they had a new f70 with a weight around 260lbs or 118kg in metric if i if recall. i gotta short memory:)

Skusto
23-11-2009, 06:36 PM
hopefully will be a 150 out in 5 years might consider that for that next one!