PDA

View Full Version : EPIRB Prices - Sub $400 now

cormorant
20-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Just looked at the major marine chain store starting wit "w"and "itworths" and looks like the gouging on EPIRB prices has finally started to slow. Well all those who said prices had gone up because of XXx or YYY or ZZZ to protect the companies making a heap with a change in rules I wonder why they think the prices have come down now? If anyone mentions the aussie dollar well why haven't the prices of the other models come down?

Offering the MT400 at $399.00. Cheap barebones, old style battery, no water activation but getting better value.

I wonder how long they will keep this model as a cheap run out version as they move to the better GME 403 ones.

Oh well a cheap entry for somene who just wants one to comply on a budget rather than get one with GPS that has a better chance of a quicker and more accurate response.

bennyboy
20-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Check the expiry on the battery. the only have a 6 year life

SeaHunt
20-11-2009, 02:22 PM
This is what I said on the 16 th Jan this year in the Electronics forum..
Prices had just jumped to over $500 for the base models.

Re: price of new epirbs. ??? (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=955891#post955891)

They were just under $400 6 months ago and they will be again if you can wait it out.

It sure took a lot longer than I thought, I might have to invest in one now..

Noelm
20-11-2009, 02:33 PM
a few local suppliers are selling for around that price now, even a smallish tackle store has thm for near that price, so I guess the prices are falling.

cormorant
20-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Buy 3 and your order is over $1000 and you get a further 10% off. so there must be a margin them.

on-one
20-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi Cormorant, not sure about the margin but they wont give the further 10% off these as they have an N at the end of the product code

Scott nthQld
20-11-2009, 03:54 PM
the margin would still be huge, the units would cost no more than $15 to make, probably work out to be around 30-40 once landed in Australia, GME make a massive margin when then then onsell to the retailers, and then the retails would another another big slice to that. Not saying that businesses should not be making a profit, just that for the actual cost of the units the price they charge is way over the top. Goes for anything electronic really

cormorant
20-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi Cormorant, not sure about the margin but they wont give the further 10% off these as they have an N at the end of the product code

Your right - I didn't notice ( forgot they did ) that. Have to wait for the boat show sales where they do teh flat 15% off even the n numbers.

cehart
21-11-2009, 06:25 PM
It's a gouge ALL safety equipment that's mandatory should be available tax free or at a greatly reduced rate as if you have any choice to be compliant.

Damned67
21-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Not saying that businesses should not be making a profit, just that for the actual cost of the units the price they charge is way over the top. Goes for anything electronic really

Agree completely. Right now I can't justify the cost (and have never crossed the line to where I would 'need' one).... But if they come down a bit more, I'll be putting one on my boat regardless of where I fish.