PDA

View Full Version : tilt/trim problems

maru222
20-11-2009, 07:35 AM
my 1993 johnson 40 hp is having problems with slow leaking hydrolic ram, possible the valves/seals inside too
has been working ok over last few months if i top it up. but yesterday i used it alot in small chop, by the time i got back to the ramp she didnot want to play any more
question is are these things servicable DIY (as i have little/no money)or do i have to take it to a outboard mech/ hydrolic mech
my hopeless CD only shows how to remove it

regards davo

Noelm
20-11-2009, 07:44 AM
OK, first off, yes they are repairable, and possible for a home mechanic that has reasonable mechanical ability, forget the stupid CD, buy yourself a GENUINE manual, you going to need it, when doing anything with hydraulics, cleanliness is paramount, you don't want any dirt or crap in the system AT ALL! maybe even try a price for a good second hand one as well, you never know.

Jarrah Jack
20-11-2009, 08:47 AM
They are expensive things even secondhand. If you buy the genuine manual you will also be able to do your own serviceing as your motor is very straight foward.

Go with what Noelm said about doing it yourself just be very careful putting it all back together. Make sure you have plenty of oil on and around the orings and if you pinch any replace them. If all that sounds too hard or too long to wait pull the unit off, make sure that you can undoo all the bolts/screws etc and take it to a friendly hydraulic man or mechanic.

maru222
20-11-2009, 04:06 PM
thanks for your help boys
davo

oldboot
21-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Unless it is a pretty recent motor, you probaly wont get a genuine manual out of OMC/ bombader,

I have just picked up the solec manual for my 60hp everrude...and it looks pretty good....a bit better than the clymer manual.... look get the CD too it should cost you under $10.

But the solec covvers almost everything...at arround $70.

If you are having a difficulty... call drysdale auto books, & they will get one in if not on the shelf.

The sagging tilt is a standard fault mentioned in the book....yep seals.....mine sags a bit & will nee the treatment soon.....

cheers

oldboot
21-11-2009, 12:42 PM
The manual that will cover your motor is...1312 johnson/ evenrude outboards 1990-01 repair manual.... covers 1.25 to 70Hp 1-4 cylinder 2 -stroke and 4 stroke models.

All the procedures in the seloc manual are difficulty rated, assembling the tilt trim pump is rated as difficult for the average home mechanic......but if you are Ok with this sort of stuff... the instructions are there.

chrres

Spaniard_King
21-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Inspect the trim ram shaft really well, any mark at all in the ram will chew out the new seal in no time, If you manage to get the ram shaft out it will most likely require re chroming.

There is a fine line when undoing bolts on these engines when it comes to undoing a bolt and snapping it off... find the line and stay on the right side of it :)