PDA

View Full Version : Formosa performances

Fopela Manki
20-11-2009, 12:11 AM
I though of starting a thread comparing our Formosa's, so we all can check the performances. I have had my Formosa for about 1.5 yrs and very happy with it. and a very nnice boat. Just like to compare, specially prop sizes.
8-)
Formasa 550 CCab 135 HP Honda
Prop 14 3/4 x17
WOT 5400 RPM @ 58 KM/H
Cruise 4200 RPM @ 43 KM/H
Fuel ~ 1.8lt / KM

Regards
Nino

mull dog
20-11-2009, 05:35 AM
gday. have you tried any other props on your rig. the reason i ask is i have the 580 with the same motor (135 honda) and i achieve better results than what you indicated. top speed abit higher at about 65km/h and better fuel economy on a glass out day. the prop is a solas 14.8 x 17. cheers

levinge
20-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Hey guys, I am running the same rig as Mull

580 Centre Cab
135hp Honda propped with a Solas 14 x 3/4 x 18 getting nearly 70km/h at WOT (5400rpm)

Usually cruise at 4000 - 4200rpm (don't really worry about speed at cruise, try to maintain the resistance to go WOT)

WOT is 5400rpm @ 37.8 kts

Economy, getting around 2klm/ltr (not fully glassed day)

When its been glassed, I just can't help myself and slam it into WOT

Fopela Manki
20-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Sorry Guys
Wrong Info
Fuel:1.8 KM / Lt and not 1.8 Lt/Km actual 0.55 LT/Km

Fopela Manki
20-11-2009, 04:52 PM
gday. have you tried any other props on your rig. the reason i ask is i have the 580 with the same motor (135 honda) and i achieve better results than what you indicated. top speed abit higher at about 65km/h and better fuel economy on a glass out day. the prop is a solas 14.8 x 17. cheers

Mull Dog

Haven't tried different props yet. What is your boat performace, Speed @ RPM and fuel consupt.
Thanks

mull dog
20-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Mull Dog

Haven't tried different props yet. What is your boat performace, Speed @ RPM and fuel consupt.
Thanks
mate same as levinge i would suspect. i have never actually tapped it out but i do get 60 kph easy, and up to near 2km/l depending on conditions, how i drive and how accurate the fuel guage is. the reefs are about 110km round trip for me and i have done 2 trips on one 150 litre tank with plenty to spare.

trymyluck
20-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi
So how do you guys find the Formosa, price wise they seem good value but have been wondering how they actually perform when the going gets rough.

Mark

mull dog
20-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi
So how do you guys find the Formosa, price wise they seem good value but have been wondering how they actually perform when the going gets rough.

Mark
Versatile for one. i have been everywhere in mine. reefs, lakes, rivers, bays, 75km offshore from 1770, skinny passages (ie bribie and sandy straits) so if you want an allrounder worth a look. good fish-a-bility, good size cockpit compared to boat size but then you lose cabin space. i built an extension box for the cabin floor so i could sleep comfortably overnight. i got caught out from 1770 when the bom issued a strong wind warning, so i think 30kn +, and got home safe. check out the classifieds on ausfish if you are interested::)

levinge
21-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Versatile for one. i have been everywhere in mine. reefs, lakes, rivers, bays, 75km offshore from 1770, skinny passages (ie bribie and sandy straits) so if you want an allrounder worth a look. good fish-a-bility, good size cockpit compared to boat size but then you lose cabin space. i built an extension box for the cabin floor so i could sleep comfortably overnight. i got caught out from 1770 when the bom issued a strong wind warning, so i think 30kn +, and got home safe. check out the classifieds on ausfish if you are interested::)

All of what he said with one addition, very dry boat in the rough stuff (unless your sitting in the rear lounge, then with any boat your going to get wet...

I too have had it in the very rough stuff with swells getting close to 2.5 - 3m mark (big for NQ) and although the speed is reduced, I felt very safe heading home sitting comfortably on 16-18kts...

Mrs Ronnie H
21-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Hi all
My brother and myself both own Formosa boats. He has 5.5 cc and i have 5.2 runabout.

My first trip out in his boat was an overnighter to the banks, all in all a round trip of 130 k's or so. Conditions were wishy washy going out but one thing I did notice was you didn't get that real shock as you do sometimes when hitting a wave really hard. Conditions were less than perfect on the ride home; a little slower but still felt safe.

After that trip I went home and told hubby we were buying one. Although we have the runabout I don't notice much difference in the ride or the handling or the stability. Great boats and great fuel economy from our 115 and new 90 model suzukis.

Ronnie