PDA

View Full Version : Power tilt/trim noise

svranjic
19-11-2009, 08:11 PM
G'day

I have noticed recently a harsh grinding noise coming from my power trim. It is fine when tilting up and down and makes no noises until it hits the two stainless trim rods at the bottom. When it pushes these in it makes a terrible noise as though it struggles to push them down. I have noticed when I lean down on the outboard as it is pushing down on the trim rods this noise goes away. When it is being trimmed up off the trim rods they sound fine.

I am assuming it is not suposed to do this, I have tried greasing the rods but it makes no difference..... Motor is a 1989 Johnson 70hp

Any help would be great

cheers

Steeler
19-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Don't stress its not a abnormal thing to happen to these systems with a bit of age. Check the fluid level in the system and top up if required otherwise don't lose too much sleep over it.

Cheers

Steve

Noelm
20-11-2009, 02:21 PM
must have missed this one, on the down trim, the motor more or less relies on gravity when out of the water, and the power of the motor pushing the boat when in use, to lower the motor, the rams do not "suck" the motor down, the noise you are hearing (more than likely) is the tilt tube bushes being all dry, happens all the time, eventually what will happen is the motor will not lower at all untill the rams are fully retracted, and then it will slowly lower.

svranjic
20-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Cheers for the replies

Noelm I never thought to consider the tilt tube bushes. The motor drops fine when using the release valve, and fine on the power tilt its only until it hits the two trim rams that there is a noise. As the trim rams go in I get the noise......

I ended up bleeding and topping up the system with oil anyways, obviously made no difference. I was considering maybe it was one of the trim ram seals catching.

Lifting the motor and changing the tilt tube bushes is not a job I can do myself as I dont have the gear to lift the motor etc.... :(

Im still not sure why the tilt tube bushes would only make this noise when pushing on the trim rods and not when tilting up and down whilst of the rods.......

BILLY THE KID
21-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Cheers for the replies

Im still not sure why the tilt tube bushes would only make this noise when pushing on the trim rods and not when tilting up and down whilst of the rods.......

extra force of pushing the rams in , otherwise they are just pushing the motor weight

svranjic
21-11-2009, 01:35 PM
You guys are right

After listening carefully it is definately either the tilt rod eylet or the tilt tube bushes..... its hard to determine which one though. Probably the tilt rod bushes as suggested.

Only way to fix this is to remove and replace?

Cheers