PDA

View Full Version : Motor falls/steers to one side!

Jarrah Jack
19-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Just put another motor on the boat, a 70 zuk and the thing keeps swinging to one side when stopped,. Didnt really mind but when I came to drive it on the trailer then leave the motor going in gear so I could hook up it swung around again making the retreival a bit of a mess.

It obviously steers loosely which is fine but have never experienced this sort of problem before. Guess there must be some way to tighten up the steering arm or something.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Noelm
19-11-2009, 10:52 AM
what sort of steering is it? seems a bit strange to me.

foxx510
19-11-2009, 12:03 PM
There should be a friction adjustment somewhere.

Noelm
19-11-2009, 12:16 PM
don't think there is on bigger motors.

bennyboy
19-11-2009, 12:28 PM
If you get a non feedback helm on your steering the motor will only turn when you turn the wheel. You can't push on the motor to make it turn. It's much safer as you can take your hand off the wheel when at speed and the boat will continue in a straight line

Jarrah Jack
19-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Was hoping you would be onto the problem Noelm...Yeah its a weird one ..Its cable steering, the same that was on the old motor with no probs.

I'm thinking that it must have something to do with the balance of the motor. Used the same holes as the old motor to fit the new so it shouldn't be that its askew on the transom. Don't think it could be water flow,say with the skeg not dead straight as it happens when the boat is on the trailer. The motor falls with steering arm out towards the left/port side of the boat.

Fox510 ....I could add friction somehow I guess but that would make it harder to steer. It seems the only way around it at the moment. Had lots of boats and numerous motors but this is a new one.

oldboot
19-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Is the sacrificial anode / steering corrector immediately behind the prop adjusted correctly.
perhaps the prop is too high in the water and pushing the boat / steering to one side.

If you are trimmed right up and partly out...the top of the prop will be out of the water and the bottom of the prop will push everything to one side.

AND
everthing has fresh grease too ay.

cheers

foxx510
19-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Oldboot I think he means just at rest it flops to one side. This usually only happens when lifting the motor and the balance changes and tips it over. Is the motor mounted straight up and down? You aren't running any ridiculous tilt or anything?

Jarrah Jack
19-11-2009, 03:30 PM
If you get a non feedback helm on your steering the motor will only turn when you turn the wheel. You can't push on the motor to make it turn. It's much safer as you can take your hand off the wheel when at speed and the boat will continue in a straight line

Hey BB ..How does the non feedback work? It sounds like its a helm changeover and you can still use the same steering cable?

Mad tilt could effect it which is why it occured when putting it on the trailer with it tilted up away from the concrete.

To All ...This prob occurs on the trailer and in the water although on the trailer it don't matter much..lol

Just too much of that grease everywhere making it too free but its still weird...Increased friction or the non feedback helm seems the way to go on this.